WJC: 2016 — Russia Roster Talk

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
No worries, another tournament ended in Silver. The important thing is to learn and grow and be a better player soon either in NHL or KHL. Gold or Silver doesn't matter.

Today probably wasn't your day, but amazing game by Russian. Home tournament always get the advantage no denied that.

Hell we ended in 4th again, Lol.

Thank you for your kind words. Nice to hear that, a lot of hate going on against Russia at the moment in general, but let's leave politics aside.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Thanks for making it a huge game Russia, on of the all time classics I have seen from tv. If you scored the ot goal you would've deserved, you were that close to it.

Yeah, it's painful to lose like that, we made such a dumb play defensively when you guys scored the OT goal. Oh well. It sucks, but we need to come back stronger next year, there's just no other way. Maybe we'll get more 'star' players, this team was great as a TEAM, but we didn't have those brilliant players that Finland had this year.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
All in all, making it to the GMG and taking it to OT was far beyond what was predicted, including by me, so great congratulations should go to the guys. Provorov was tripped and dragged down in the crease on the winning goal - no whistle from the Canadians and Americans of course. I have no idea why Bragin chose to go with Georgiev over Samsonov - if Samsonov was healthy, then Bragin deserves all the criticism that he will get. But the guys were tough and strong and very skilled, and put up a great show! Too bad for their sake that it fell short.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Is it me, or was this kind of different Russian team then what we are used to?
They didn't have a great deal of offensive fire-power, unlike most other years. But the physical play, forecheck, good penalty kill, defensive positioning were all among the best in the tournament and possibly even the best.
Some of the most recent Russian teams relied on their star offensive player and their goaltenders standing on their heads.

It was also a pretty large team by our junior standards.

I think the coincidence that we didn't have a lot of hyped blue chippers allowed much more players to show themselves.

However, Svechnikov was really disappointing, Boikov and Mikulovich were very funny, Kaprizov sort of played okay, but a KHL level scorer should have more than 3 points in 7 games. And I didn't understand Bragin's decision not to play Samsonov in the final.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I wonder how Russian team will do when Bragin leaves. He is a great junior coach imo. Is he coming back next year?

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I wonder how Russian team will do when Bragin leaves. He is a great junior coach imo. Is he coming back next year?

I would be okay with a coaching change. Bragin's teams are extremely reliable, but a bit exhausting to watch.

Besides Bragin should move on to coach the main NT, I think.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
All in all, making it to the GMG and taking it to OT was far beyond what was predicted, including by me, so great congratulations should go to the guys. Provorov was tripped and dragged down in the crease on the winning goal - no whistle from the Canadians and Americans of course. I have no idea why Bragin chose to go with Georgiev over Samsonov - if Samsonov was healthy, then Bragin deserves all the criticism that he will get. But the guys were tough and strong and very skilled, and put up a great show! Too bad for their sake that it fell short.

I was concerned with the skating speed of our boys, I mean the Finns were clearly outspeeding them. I hope they're not forgetting this aspect of the game when training young players.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
It was also a pretty large team by our junior standards.

I think the coincidence that we didn't have a lot of hyped blue chippers allowed much more players to show themselves.

However, Svechnikov was really disappointing, Boikov and Mikulovich were very funny, Kaprizov sort of played okay, but a KHL level scorer should have more than 3 points in 7 games. And I didn't understand Bragin's decision not to play Samsonov in the final.

Yeah, that Samsonov decision is an enigma, might've been a difference maker, those I can't say Georgiev played that bad. Still have to look at that final goal again, apparently he was brought down by our defenceman and therefore couldn't reach the puck?

Acallabeth

Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I was concerned with the skating speed of our boys, I mean the Finns were clearly outspeeding them. I hope they're not forgetting this aspect of the game when training young players.
Russians have been the worst skaters of the top junior hockey countries for all 2010s, it's clearly a system.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Russians have been the worst skaters of the top junior hockey countries for all 2010s, it's clearly a system.

That's pretty ridiculous though, I mean we had Bure, that guy could outskate everyone. That's a bad development, and I've noticed how speed is also a problem when facing Canada. They have to address that. I mean that OT goal can be lead back to skating speed - our defencemen just can't keep up.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011

Yup. Three-two decades back, you guys had the best skaters in the world. Not sure what happened there.

Feds, Bure, Mogilny, etc.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Great game yesterday, your guys battled very hard all the way to the end.

Dergachyov was so good last year, I was definitely expecting more from him this time around. I guess SKA isn't the best place for U20 players to develop? He's only been averaging 5 minutes a game...

Raptor1990

May 21, 2013
Devínska Nová Ves
Great game yesterday, your guys battled very hard all the way to the end.

Dergachyov was so good last year, I was definitely expecting more from him this time around. I guess SKA isn't the best place for U20 players to develop? He's only been averaging 5 minutes a game...

SKA ? Kovaljoke ?
Nope SKA is only a joke, they lost to Dynamo Moscow yesterday 5:1 and all the Russia's best young talents there only sits on the bench and watch how Kovalchoke creates one penalty after another.

Hopefully Gusev, Buchnevic, Barabanov and Dergachov will get traded where they get more ice time soon.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

Specifically, speed on defense, I think. There were a couple of good skaters on defense (Provorov, Sergeyev, Rykov), but one or two slow skaters can cost goals.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008

I feel like Russia should have an edge in skating, I know its different movement but if you look at the 100 m, the faster times among Caucasian males are from men from Russia/ex-Soviet countries. This means there is more fast twitch muscle fibers in Russian genetics, I would think this would translate to faster skaters as well.

Acallabeth

Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Skating is more technique than just pure muscle explosiveness though. Especially hockey skating that involves more of quick turns without losing speed, braking, changing directions etc. So I think the case is simply lack of focus on skating in players selection and development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad