WJC: 2016 — Czech Republic Roster Talk

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Wow that's depressing... Hard to see a chance for a medal anymore. Don't know why people keep mentioning Pastrnak. He was never going to be there.
But no Karabacek or Vrana really kills this team. Zacha will have to be sensational(which he is capable of being) but the Euro guys will have to be really good.
We will get 3rd in the group and out in the quarters as usual.
Anything more is a huge bonus.

You are right.
Last year was everyone healthy but we had a stubborn **** coach who left out good players. Now we have a very good coach who would take them all, but they get injured. Another QF loss it seems. **** this ****

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
You are right.
Last year was everyone healthy but we had a stubborn **** coach who left out good players. Now we have a very good coach who would take them all, but they get injured. Another QF loss it seems. **** this ****

Yup. Last year we actually had a better chance of a medal. We can thank Prerost for ruining that opportunity. This year everyone else is too good. And now we lose our 2 best players. Awesome.
But hey.. You never know. We could still surprise. If you really think about it, we beat a really good Russian team last year with an OK team. (Russia made the final).
Zacha is also potentially the best sniper at the tournament. He's gonna score a lot. And with Petr at the helm, you can almost gaurentee that he will get plenty of minutes on the power play. So we're still going to be dangerous. Coaches can make a big difference. And Petr will.

nelsojc

Nov 13, 2015
Yup. Last year we actually had a better chance of a medal. We can thank Prerost for ruining that opportunity. This year everyone else is too good. And now we lose our 2 best players. Awesome.
But hey.. You never know. We could still surprise. If you really think about it, we beat a really good Russian team last year with an OK team. (Russia made the final).
Zacha is also potentially the best sniper at the tournament. He's gonna score a lot. And with Petr at the helm, you can almost gaurentee that he will get plenty of minutes on the power play. So we're still going to be dangerous. Coaches can make a big difference. And Petr will.

lol ya right. I'd say Nylander, Marner, Strome, Puljujärvi, Laine, Matthews and Point are all better snipers than Zacha

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
I also said "potentially". But to say puljujarvi and Laine are better shooters then Zacha is even more questionable.

Last edited:

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
lol ya right. I'd say Nylander, Marner, Strome, Puljujärvi, Laine, Matthews and Point are all better snipers than Zacha

Do you know what ''potentially'' means?
No way Marner, Strome or Nylander are better snipers. They are better playmakers if anything. Same goes to Matthews. Puljujarvi and Laine are snipers, but are a year younger and that makes a difference. After all, underagers don't make as huge impact as one would think. Can't say anything about Point, I never really heard of him.

Prerost is a man who should get arrested for sabotaging Czech hockey :laugh:
I am one of those who think Russia didn't play 100% that match (They played pretty bad) so that win is no indicator at all. (Maybe only the fact czechs really tried that match, you could see it)
Petr will need to make a huge difference to get a medal, possible for sure, but unlikely. This team will probably end up around 6th-5th place

EDIT: That 6th-5th place prediction stands only till next injury occurs... :shakehead

nelsojc

Nov 13, 2015
No way Marner, Strome or Nylander are better snipers. They are better playmakers if anything. Same goes to Matthews. Puljujarvi and Laine are snipers, but are a year younger and that makes a difference. After all, underagers don't make as huge impact as one would think. Can't say anything about Point, I never really heard of him.

I am one of those who think Russia didn't play 100% that match (They played pretty bad) so that win is no indicator at all. (Maybe only the fact czechs really tried that match, you could see it)
Petr will need to make a huge difference to get a medal, possible for sure, but unlikely. This team will probably end up around 6th-5th place

EDIT: That 6th-5th place prediction stands only till next injury occurs... :shakehead

Ya not a chance I'd take any one of those guys to score more goals than Zacha...He's underperforming in the OHL this year and he looked bad last year at the world juniors...I think he's overrated.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Ya not a chance I'd take any one of those guys to score more goals than Zacha...He's underperforming in the OHL this year and he looked bad last year at the world juniors...I think he's overrated.

Looked bad this year? 17 goals in 23 games and 10 more points than the next closest forward on his team despite playing 7 less games. Are you high?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

17 goals and 30 points in 23 games for a poor offensive team is "underperforming?"

alrighty! :laugh:

nelsojc

Nov 13, 2015
Looked bad this year? 17 goals in 23 games and 10 more points than the next closest forward on his team despite playing 7 less games. Are you high?

Never said he was a bad player...he's a good player but I still would take any of those guys I just mentioned on my team ahead of him: Nylander, Marner, Strome, Matthews, Puljujarvi, or Laine. I said he looked like he underperformed at the world juniors last year...which he did...watch the games for yourself.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa

I agree that 5th or 6th is the most realistic. But, the only reason for my slight optimism is because even with out Vrana or Karabacek, it's still probably the best team we've had in years. Especially defensively and that includes the goaltending. And we played some really good hockey the last few years with some pretty bad teams and Prerost at the helm. So im just saying that with Petr and an overall better team, we could still do really well. At the very least, I don't see us getting blown out by anyone. I think the games will be close. An that's what I'm hoping for the most. Just be competitive.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
Never said he was a bad player...he's a good player but I still would take any of those guys I just mentioned on my team ahead of him: Nylander, Marner, Strome, Matthews, Puljujarvi, or Laine. I said he looked like he underperformed at the world juniors last year...which he did...watch the games for yourself.

Well, he was a 17 yr old playing in an under-20 tournament....I'd say that expectations might have to be tempered just a bit. He's not doing too badly considering he doesn't have a ton of offensive talent to work with in Sarnia - there are a lot of times where he makes a beautiful pass to an open guy who can handle it or pull the trigger on the shot. His point totals are definitely impacted by that.

nelsojc

Nov 13, 2015
Well, he was a 17 yr old playing in an under-20 tournament....I'd say that expectations might have to be tempered just a bit. He's not doing too badly considering he doesn't have a ton of offensive talent to work with in Sarnia - there are a lot of times where he makes a beautiful pass to an open guy who can handle it or pull the trigger on the shot. His point totals are definitely impacted by that.

Once again, I'm not saying he's bad...I said I'd rather have any of those guys I mentioned over him.

CrazyEights

Apr 18, 2015

Don't rule Pasta out just yet! There's still a chance, that the Bs will let him go. Really, really slim chance, but a chance none the less. :handclap:

Wasn't expecting that they would consider letting him go to the WJC, but here we are. :nod: He needs some conditioning after his injury and I'd love it, if they let him go to the WJC instead of the AHL.

If he's to miss the Winter Classic, I'd be much happier to see him at the WJC than in the AHL.

Last edited:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I think it actually may make sense to ease Pastrnak back into it by sending him to the WJC. Bruins aren't exactly hurting offensively, and he would have to spend some time in the A anyways to get back into the swing of things. The stars very well may align for him to go.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Wow.. Wouldn't that be somethin. It would make up for the Karabacek loss at the very least. Still wouldn't get my hopes up but I definitely didn't see this one coming.

czech_mate

Aug 4, 2006
Ottawa
Here's the current 26 man roster after today's cuts:

Goalies:
Vítek Vaněček (South Carolina, ECHL), Daniel Vladař (Chicago, USHL), AleÅ¡ Stezka (Sioux Falls, USHL).

Defence:
Jakub Zbořil (Saint John, QMJHL), Filip Pyrochta (Victoriaville, QMJHL), Dominik Mašín (Peterborough, OHL), Jan Å čotka (Pardubice), David Sklenička (Plzeň), Filip Hronek (Mountfield HK), Alex RaÅ¡ner (Olomouc), Ondřej MikliÅ¡ (Sparta Praha/Litoměřice).

Forwards:
Pavel Zacha (Sarnia, OHL), Michael Å paček (Red Deer, WHL), Å imon Stránský (Prince Albert, WHL), Tomáš Å oustal (Kelowna, WHL), Filip Chlapík (Charlottetown, QMJHL), Jiří Smejkal (Moose Jaw, WHL), David KaÅ¡e, Radek Veselý (oba Chomutov), Daniel Voženílek, David Tomášek (oba Pardubice), Jiří Černoch (Sparta Praha), Lukáš JaÅ¡ek, Vít Christov (oba Třinec), Jan OrdoÅ¡, Dominik LakatoÅ¡ (oba Liberec).

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
So Pastrnak is possible...? That would be something!
I mean, as a Bruins fan myself, it's better choice than AHL imo.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Once again, I'm not saying he's bad...I said I'd rather have any of those guys I mentioned over him.

No you didn't, you said they were better snipers. For one, there's no way you would rather have a guy like Point than Zacha. That's patently absurd. Second, Zacha leads almost that entire group in gpg this year. No way are guys like Marner, Strome, and Nylander better snipers than Zacha. Better playmakers, maybe.

CrazyEights

Apr 18, 2015
Code:
So Pastrnak is possible...? That would be something!
I mean, as a Bruins fan myself, it's better choice than AHL imo.

As a Bs fan myself - I'd love to see him at the WJC too rather than in the AHL. And I get it, they might see the AHL as the better option, but the WJC would be much better for him IMHO.

It's just that I'd love to see him play at the Winter Classic, but if he can't make it - the WJC is the better option for me than the AHL.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
No you didn't, you said they were better snipers. For one, there's no way you would rather have a guy like Point than Zacha. That's patently absurd. Second, Zacha leads almost that entire group in gpg this year. No way are guys like Marner, Strome, and Nylander better snipers than Zacha. Better playmakers, maybe.

I hope you realize that Point is Canada's top line center and probably their best player. I would be shocked if they would rather have Zacha over Point, just don't see it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad