Prospect Info: 2015 Young Stars tourney

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I think one of the primary reasons for sitting McDavid was not for his benefit, but for all the other Oilers prospects trying to make a good impression. It became pretty clear in the Vancouver game that any liberties taken against McDavid, perceived or real, were going to result in a bunch of the guys trying to demonstrate their toughness and willingness to stick up for team mates. It was likely to continue being a distraction for the players, whose primary goal should be trying to show management what they can do on the ice. I imagine Chiarelli and staff want to see how these guys play in different on-ice situations; not who can jump the next Virtanen the fastest.

Yeah. Chias take was the jumping in wasn't required to what was an entirely clean hit and actually appreciated that McDavid got such an early wake up call to "clean up the cobwebs and welcome to the NHL".

McDavid got a taste and something to think about and also benefits from some time watching. I agree that it got the Oilers a little of one mindset for awhile to go at Virtanen. Kind of a reaction to reading how this org has so little tough team reply is the young turks kind of go overboard looking to fill that aspect.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Fun Winquist stat: This kid had 47 goals his final year in junior.

The next closest guy on his team had 23. :laugh: that's almost unfathomable.

Might have a real diamond in the rough here. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see an ELC go his way.

For reference, the NHL equivalent would be Ovechkin - 53 Brouwer - 21 this past year.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Based on this tourny and some break out guys, the AHL is going to have some fierce comp next year and some high picks will be left in the dust

Do you go with some established vets who dont have NHL futures and limit playing time, or go full development

Competition is never a bad thing. But I think by mid season well see a suprising prospect break out and force their way to the bigs. Prediction is Platzer, Slepy or Winquist

I think the perogative will be development this year.

If there was a knock on Nelson its that he preferred to go for the win, and lean heavily on guys like Hunt, Williams, Ryan Hamilton and Ford. I think Fleming will be gently encouraged to use guys like Yakimov, Platzer, Simpson, and Reinhart/Nurse in those roles.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think the perogative will be development this year.

If there was a knock on Nelson its that he preferred to go for the win, and lean heavily on guys like Hunt, Williams, Ryan Hamilton and Ford. I think Fleming will be gently encouraged to use guys like Yakimov, Platzer, Simpson, and Reinhart/Nurse in those roles.

I hope. The good thing is our best players should be our prospects. Yakimov/Osterle/Davidson/Miller should be the leaders along with some vets like Ford or whoever

Then we could have LD/Nurse/GR there too

Hoping for

Slepyshev-Yakimov-Chase
Khaira-Platzer-vet
Hamilton-vet-rookie/ahl guy
rookie-rookie-vet

Davidson/Nurse-GR
Simpson-Hunt
Laleggia-Osterle

damn that log jam at D is gunna suck. Musil/Gernat/Betker/Laleggia are in for a battle

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
Sounds like a bunch of *****ing over nothing. You go to a hockey game to see the team play you are never guaranteed any player is going to play. If I get Oilers tickets for a game against the Penguins I'm not guaranteed that Crosby will play. The Oilers never announced that McDavid would be playing in any of the games except for the day of the game on Friday and they never said he would be playing in any of the other games. I heard Rishaug and Gregor speculating on it last week and they didnt know, they were guessing it would be two but that's all it was just a guess.

I think alot of the ppl in penticton understood why they sat him but Oilers could have handled it differently IMO. Easy for you to sit on your couch and criticize since you didn't spend a dime to go to Penticton. And yes, they basically did announce that he would be playing in more than one game.

http://www.630ched.com/2015/09/10/62368/

I think they saw how the game went and change their plan of action after the Vancouver game. I'm not saying I don't understand it. I'm ****ing about it because I'm pissed off and I think that had many of you and the other posters criticizing were the ones ponying up real dollars to see McDavid I bet you'd have alot less support for your statements.

For all those that say real fans go to watch the team...please tell me who you think on this team is for the real fans? Sanford, Louiseau, Bukkarts, Waltz, Rankin, none of these guys are ever going to make the Oilers so why would I go to watch them exactly? Half the team wasn't even really Oiler draft picks anyways. I went for McDavid, Draisatil, Nurse, Jones, Lallegia, Laurikainen, Betker guys who are for sure or have a slim chance to make the team.

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
How was Leveille looked like in games? Worthy of a contract

Leveille was pretty impressive he's small but showed good offensive instincts and was chirping guys bigger than him. He was smiling the whole time too gotta love guys like that.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I hope. The good thing is our best players should be our prospects. Yakimov/Osterle/Davidson/Miller should be the leaders along with some vets like Ford or whoever

Then we could have LD/Nurse/GR there too

Hoping for

Slepyshev-Yakimov-Chase
Khaira-Platzer-vet
Hamilton-vet-rookie/ahl guy
rookie-rookie-vet

Davidson/Nurse-GR
Simpson-Hunt
Laleggia-Osterle

damn that log jam at D is gunna suck. Musil/Gernat/Betker/Laleggia are in for a battle

IMO Betker and Gernat are ECHL bound. Musil actually made some good strides last year.

I have a worry that we're going to lose Davidson on waivers to a team like the Lightning or the Blackhawks that are jammed up against the cap and could use a cheap defenceman that could handle themselves.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Leveille was pretty impressive he's small but showed good offensive instincts and was chirping guys bigger than him. He was smiling the whole time too gotta love guys like that.

Agree with this. He's definitely a solid build too, and not afraid to charge into corners.

Has a shot and isn't afraid to use that, either, but one thing I noticed is he was rushing it a lot. He probably took the most shots out of our D but missed wide a lot - in a lot of cases he had way more time than he thought he did, but was trying really hard to make a safe play. He did get rattled a few times and gave the puck away, but he was usually in good position to take it back.

I'd keep him around for an exhibition game at least, and the Golden Bears game.

Based on who played 3 games, I'd expect the D for the Bears game to be

Nurse-LaLeggia
Jones-Bear
Davis-Leveille

With Waltz and Betker sitting.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
IMO Betker and Gernat are ECHL bound. Musil actually made some good strides last year.

I have a worry that we're going to lose Davidson on waivers to a team like the Lightning or the Blackhawks that are jammed up against the cap and could use a cheap defenceman that could handle themselves.

Thatd be a tough loss, id actually probaly rather trade Musil to them then.

Im really pumped for Laleggia. Hes legit and alot of people saw that this tourny

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Thatd be a tough loss, id actually probaly rather trade Musil to them then.

Im really pumped for Laleggia. Hes legit and alot of people saw that this tourny

He looked good, but to say he is legit because he is a bit more polished than kids several years younger than him isn't exactly true.

oilz89*

I think alot of the ppl in penticton understood why they sat him but Oilers could have handled it differently IMO. Easy for you to sit on your couch and criticize since you didn't spend a dime to go to Penticton. And yes, they basically did announce that he would be playing in more than one game.

I think they saw how the game went and change their plan of action after the Vancouver game. I'm not saying I don't understand it. I'm ****ing about it because I'm pissed off and I think that had many of you and the other posters criticizing were the ones ponying up real dollars to see McDavid I bet you'd have alot less support for your statements.

For all those that say real fans go to watch the team...please tell me who you think on this team is for the real fans? Sanford, Louiseau, Bukkarts, Waltz, Rankin, none of these guys are ever going to make the Oilers so why would I go to watch them exactly? Half the team wasn't even really Oiler draft picks anyways. I went for McDavid, Draisatil, Nurse, Jones, Lallegia, Laurikainen, Betker guys who are for sure or have a slim chance to make the team.

Oh my god BOOHOO man who cares? The tournaments over. Complaining over it won't get you anywhere. What would he have gained from playing in the game?

oilz89*

I hope he stays as a number 7 so we can replace NN when he ***** the bed

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Maybe it would have been more wise to spend your money on Oiler regular season tickets? You know, the games that he's guaranteed to play in and that actually matter.

Boo hoo, you got to go spend a weekend in the Okanagan watching hockey. Must have been awful.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012

Oh please. It's not like this is the first time the Oilers haven't given us our money's worth.

A year or two ago I actually paid dearly for the chance to go to a regular season NHL game in Edmonton. When I went to the game with the intention of watching an NHL team, they didn't have any real hockey players there - only a bunch of bumbling grown men wearing Oilers jerseys and getting scored on by a bunch of scrubs.

oStealthKiller*

Master Monkey Herder
Jul 2, 2012
Edmonton

Last I checked tickets usually have a team name on them, not mcdavid vs jets

Edit: I mean I unserstand wanting to see mcdavid but cmon, seems like ur just crying looking for a group cry session or pity.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Fun Winquist stat: This kid had 47 goals his final year in junior.

The next closest guy on his team had 23. :laugh: that's almost unfathomable.

Might have a real diamond in the rough here. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see an ELC go his way.

For reference, the NHL equivalent would be Ovechkin - 53 Brouwer - 21 this past year.

His one good season in the WHL came as an overager, though. He was 20 years old that entire season.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Oh please. It's not like this is the first time the Oilers haven't given us our money's worth.

A year or two ago I actually paid dearly for the chance to go to a regular season NHL game in Edmonton. When I went to the game with the intention of watching an NHL team, they didn't have any real hockey players there - only a bunch of bumbling grown men wearing Oilers jerseys and getting scored on by a bunch of scrubs.
So you whine like this when you don't win the lotto? Your post is coming across as entitled and immature, so reign it in bucko cuz it's not going to get you sympathy. Just my two cents mind you.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
For a 3 day package to St Louis plus a ticket to their home opener is only around $600 to guarantee watching Mcdavid play his first ever NHL game, barring a pre season injury. That is probably around what people payed to spend a weekend in the Okanagan. Would you rather watch Mcdavid play against a bunch or Junior players or his first ever NHL game?

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
Yeah. Chias take was the jumping in wasn't required to what was an entirely clean hit and actually appreciated that McDavid got such an early wake up call to "clean up the cobwebs and welcome to the NHL".
I agree with Chia, that hit couldn't have been any cleaner and trying to retaliate for it was a loser move.

If Bettman ever managed to take that hit out of hockey then hockey would become basketball on ice, and I hate basketball.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
Maybe it would have been more wise to spend your money on Oiler regular season tickets? You know, the games that he's guaranteed to play in and that actually matter.

Boo hoo, you got to go spend a weekend in the Okanagan watching hockey. Must have been awful.
You obviously didn't read that post lol.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site

One game? Imagine how you'd feel if you were one of the poor ******** who coughed up a few grand for season's tickets just to get PTSD.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
He followed it up with a pretty respectable first season of pro hockey.

Yeah, all things considered it was pretty respectable. Clearly too good for the ECHL and then .41 PPG in OKC.

I think he'll top out as a good AHL scorer, maybe get a couple games in the NHL at some point.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00