2015 Young Stars Classic

Bean in Charge

Dec 24, 2007
Vancouver, BC
tickets already sold out (cept VIP... which i'm not sure i'm ready to stomach yet). won't be able to go for the first time in a few years.

thus i'll be expecting tons of reports from all posters going!!

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Is Horvat ineligible or is there just no point in him going?

Horvat just played an entire season in the National Hockey League. Has no business being sent to a "prospect tournament". He's no longer a prospect, and would benefit approximately...negatively from being sent to go play shinny with a bunch of kids, when he could be training and gearing up for the NHL grind to come.

Really, i'm kind of surprised by some of the full year professional AHLers they're sending tbh. But with several of our top guys unavailable due to NCAA shenanigans, Russian things, and other such commitments...our roster would look pretty bleak without guys like Shinkaruk and Gaunce showing up.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
tickets already sold out (cept VIP... which i'm not sure i'm ready to stomach yet). won't be able to go for the first time in a few years.

Holy crap... Impressive. Last yr tickets were available the day before games!

The McDavid Effect helping the Canucks sell tickets. Aquaman happy(unless proceeds go to charity.. Then yeah for needy!)

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
oilers and jets and flames gonna smoke us. sigh.

Drawing a blank on the Flames... Who are their top line forward prospects likely to come?
Bennett, Porier, Klimchuk and....

Are NHLers coming?

Who are the Oiler forwards coming? Aside from McDavid? This will likely be the last moment in time that Cassels will be able to handle McDavid defensively before he leaves him in the development dust...heh heh...

We'll be alright.. If they find some goalies :laugh:

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Drawing a blank on the Flames... Who are their top line forward prospects likely to come?
Bennett, Porier, Klimchuk and....

Are NHLers coming?

Who are the Oiler forwards coming? Aside from McDavid? This will likely be the last moment in time that Cassels will be able to handle McDavid defensively before he leaves him in the development dust...heh heh...

We'll be alright.. If they find some goalies :laugh:

The Calgary Flames roster includes three first round draft picks: Sam Bennett (4th overall in 2014), Emile Poirier (22nd overall in 2013) and Morgan Klimchuk (28th overall in 2013). In addition, forward Austin Carroll, who recently completed his fourth season with the Victoria Royals, and goaltender Jon Gillies, who led the Hockey East Conference in both GAA and save percentage and won the NCAA national championship last season with Providence College, have been named to the roster.

The Edmonton Oilers roster will include 2015 Canadian Hockey League Player of the Year, Connor McDavid (selected 1st overall in the 2015 NHL Draft), Leon Draisaitl (selected 3rd overall in 2014) and Darnell Nurse (selected 7th overall in 2013). Draisaitl and Nurse both made their NHL debuts during the 2014.15 season with the Oilers.

The Winnipeg Jets roster includes two first round picks: Nikolaj Ehlers (9th overall in 2014) and Josh Morrissey (13th overall in 2013). The list also includes 2015 World Junior Championship tournament participants Jan Kostalek (Czech Republic), Nic Petan (Canada) and Eric Comrie (Canada). 2015 second-round selection Jansen Harkins, whose 59 assists on the season for the Prince George Cougars established a new single-season franchise record, has been named to the tournament. Andrew Copp, who made his NHL debut last season, St. John’s IceCaps goaltender Connor Hellebuyck, and recently acquired prospect Brendan Lemieux will also appear at the Young Stars Classic.

the bolded names I'm dreading. also I'm very wary of the Flames second round selections if they show: Ramsus Anderson and Oliver Kylington.

Also, even Cassels doesn't think he held McDavid in check alone, let alone shut him down. Poor kid. Too much pressure.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
the bolded names I'm dreading. also I'm very wary of the Flames second round selections if they show: Ramsus Anderson and Oliver Kylington.

Also, even Cassels doesn't think he held McDavid in check alone, let alone shut him down. Poor kid. Too much pressure.

Oh I know about Casssels and how he actually played vs McDavid... Just running along with the hype by many here from the time...

That is an impressive group of prospects.. Gillies could take the whole thing for the Flames himself.
The 3 headed monster from Oil country Will be fun to follow.
Don't know who I was expecting or who I thought Wpg had.. But I was expecting an extra 'name' or two to be listed... But they have both their highly touted goalies coming..

This is probably my most anticipated tourney to see our kids.
F: Virtanen, McCann, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Cassels, Zhukenov
D: Subban, Hutton, Brisbrois

HowDoIHockey

Supreme Mugwump
Jul 12, 2015
Victoria

Tickets are already sold out?? I was just going to ask about how quickly they sell. Was thinking of going for the first time. Shoot. Are they ever available on any ticket exchanges or anything?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Assume there will be live-streaming of the Young Starts tourney through the Canucks.com website as in years gone by?

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
Because I forgot him. :laugh:

Guess we can add Brisebois, Zhukenov, Neill and Olson to the roster. Not sure if Gaudette is going to college or not? And if Jasek would come over for it.

Gaudette is entering Northeastern this fall, a year earlier than originally planned. So he won't be at Young Stars, I reckon.

OT . . .From the team's site for 2015-16. Looks like Willie and Jimbo wrote the second paragraph. No wonder they drafted him:

Before NU: Was a fifth round draft pick (149th overall) by the Vancouver Canucks in the 2015 NHL Draft … Played for the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders of the USHL in 2014-15 … Tallied 30 points and a plus/minus rating of +23 … Previously played at Thayer Academy and also with the Boston Advantage U16 team … In his senior year at Thayer, Gaudette recorded 29 goals and 38 assists in 27 games … Voted to the 2013-14 Prep All-New England East Team along with fellow freshman Jon Barry.

Madigan on Gaudette: Another Thayer player who then made his way to the USHL in Cedar Rapids, Adam was a fifth round draft pick two weeks ago by the Vancouver Canucks. He has a motor that just doesn't stop. Even with the combination of high energy and high motor, he has the ability to make smart hockey plays. He has a real good stick and sees the ice well. He is a tough competitor who plays 200 feet. He covers the ice really well and has the ability to impact the game, not only on the score sheet, but also by being hard to play against. He will find his way into special teams situations both in power play situations as well as defensive situations where he will be killing penalties and playing later in games. He's a hard nose player who will contribute both goals and assists and will set up his linemates.

Bean in Charge

Dec 24, 2007
Vancouver, BC
Tickets are already sold out?? I was just going to ask about how quickly they sell. Was thinking of going for the first time. Shoot. Are they ever available on any ticket exchanges or anything?

sorry i should clarify - ticket pages are sold out. I think individual game tickets go on sale sometime later..?

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Shink-Mccan-Virtanen
Gaunce-Cassels-Boeser
Fox-Zhukenov-Jasek
Stewart - Pettit - Zalewski

Subban-hutton
Brisebois

??????

Pretty goood top 6 and maybe that thrid line of high skill high risk picks will impress

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Virtanen needs to be able to make an impact here. No excuses.

Does he?

I mean, this is a shinny tournament for the kids. It's fun and all...but it means jack squat as far as whether a guy like Virtanen is ready for the NHL or not.

I mean, you'd love to see him make a real splash and show off what he can do and have that attitude about the whole thing...but realistically? Nah.

BigBadBread

Shi Shi Shawww
Dec 4, 2006

Hellebuyck is another guy you should worry about (although why worry in a prospects tourney). Kid is one of the best NA goalie prospects at the moment IMO. Carried the AHL Icecaps all year with tutelage from NHL vet Peter Budaj and then represented Team USA at the WHC and made the media all-star team.

Seems like the Jets are stocked with great prospects.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
So was thinking about potential rosters for the teams, and ws wondering if anyone wanted to take a crack at them?

Canucks

1st - Shinkaruk, Mccann, Virtanen
2nd - Gaunce, Cassels, Jensen
3rd - Fox, Zhukenov, Jasek(?)
4th - LaBate, Pettit, Blomstrand(?)
*? not sure if these players will be there, and if not invites will fill in.

1st - Hutton, McEneny/Subban
2nd - Cederholm, Subban/McEneny
3rd - Brisebois, Neill
Olson

#1 - Invite
#2 - Invite

Not bad, but we'll see how they do at the tourney.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
Does he?

I mean, this is a shinny tournament for the kids. It's fun and all...but it means jack squat as far as whether a guy like Virtanen is ready for the NHL or not.

I mean, you'd love to see him make a real splash and show off what he can do and have that attitude about the whole thing...but realistically? Nah.

Is this just setting up an excuse if he looks average or....? because like you said, this is a shinny tournament. By all accounts he should absolutely stand out and make a real impact.

The Iron Goalie

Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Is this just setting up an excuse if he looks average or....? because like you said, this is a shinny tournament. By all accounts he should absolutely stand out and make a real impact.

Indeed. This is some players last chance to impress their Gm's before the start of training camps, and the preseason. Hardly shinny imo.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Indeed. This is some players last chance to impress their Gm's before the start of training camps, and the preseason. Hardly shinny imo.

Some players' last chance.

Hardly Virtanen's last chance to go all out and show he deserves a place at the big boy table by "dominating" a shinny tournament full of some other kids with literally everything to gain or lose.

Meritocracy in a tournament like this is a farce. The reality is, some guys have their tickets to main camp already booked. I'd love to see Virtanen look amazing here in spite of that...but it really doesn't mean squat as far as his chances to make the NHL squad this year. What he does in "real camp" will determine that.

And we didn't draft Virtanen 6th overall for his ability to win a game of high level shinny. We selected him for what he can hopefully do in a real game of hockey some day, for the Vancouver Canucks. You want to "win" the young stars tournament in the summer...go ahead and draft for that. Seems kind of shortsighted to me.

The Iron Goalie

Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Some players' last chance.

Hardly Virtanen's last chance to go all out and show he deserves a place at the big boy table by "dominating" a shinny tournament full of some other kids with literally everything to gain or lose.

Meritocracy in a tournament like this is a farce. The reality is, some guys have their tickets to main camp already booked. I'd love to see Virtanen look amazing here in spite of that...but it really doesn't mean squat as far as his chances to make the NHL squad this year. What he does in "real camp" will determine that.

And we didn't draft Virtanen 6th overall for his ability to win a game of high level shinny. We selected him for what he can hopefully do in a real game of hockey some day, for the Vancouver Canucks. You want to "win" the young stars tournament in the summer...go ahead and draft for that. Seems kind of shortsighted to me.

Of course guys like Bennett, McDavid, Nurse etc don't have to prove much of anything, but by playing well they help themselves more then floating around. That said I do agree with your point that in the long run dominating the tourney doesn't really matter.

However saying the tournament = shinny is more than a bit silly, as the majority of players there are trying to make their mark, and turn some heads in management. These games generally have good/great intensity for this reason.

Again not saying Jake has to dominate, but playing well would be better for him imo.

As for the bold...no kidding.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad