250px-Flag_of_Slovakia.svg.png

Marko Dano

250px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png

Jeremy Morin
Mike Reilly

Last edited:

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
They should be allowed to play if they want to, but as a fan, I kind of prefer none of our NHL'ers play in this after the season we just had.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
They should be allowed to play if they want to, but as a fan, I kind of prefer none ofour NHL'ers play in this after the season we just had.

Elvis and Reilly hooray but Bob & Arty I agree with not wanting them to play. especially since they were both injured this year and Arty is not 100% healed (no faceoffs)

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
I74HNCy.jpg

41d4e1269d1015727815.jpeg

Call of duty? :( again Kremlin, again Putin. I guess Arty is not 100% healthy and Bob is always risk of new injury

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Daňo is a lock for Slovakia, however Slovak staff claim that he will have to go to the AHL if Springfield makes the play-offs.

Since you seem to be the second best expert here conserning Slovakian hockey and culture (after Bycek Bee of course) might I ask how much national media attention do the Slovakian skaters attract in these games? Finnish-Slovakian football keeper Lukas Hradecky at least passionately supports and follows Slovakia in hockey...

For example in Finland Mikael Granlund gathered such (Teemu Selänne like) attention and fame after his breakthrough tournament that you could say that it hurt his summer preparation which of course affected the whole next season's performances. He came out of it in the end stronger, more professional though.

Even without fantastic individual effort... if there is any Finnish medal glory coming home everybody on the team will become overnight national heroes anyways since this is the biggest hockey event in the world. Which no one will forget. 1995. 2011.

So it might not be all positive but of course it will potentially test Dano's character.

ndd17

In Eaves we trust!
Jul 14, 2012
Russia
I highly, highly doubt Wennberg gets invited to play for Sweden but Dano is a lock like the guy above me said.
I think will be a lot of NHL players who did not play in the WC for team Sweden. Standart reasons-tired after season, miss my family, have not contract next season(for example, Adam Larson will not play this reason), etc. This could room for Wennberg in the NT. If last season Tim Erixon played for team Sweden, then Wennberg have a very good chances for it. We will see.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Since you seem to be the second best expert here conserning Slovakian hockey and culture (after Bycek Bee of course) might I ask how much national media attention do the Slovakian skaters attract in these games? Finnish-Slovakian football keeper Lukas Hradecky at least passionately supports and follows Slovakia in hockey...

For example in Finland Mikael Granlund gathered such (Teemu Selänne like) attention and fame after his breakthrough tournament that you could say that it hurt his summer preparation which of course affected the whole next season's performances. He came out of it in the end stronger, more professional though.

Even without fantastic individual effort... if there is any Finnish medal glory coming home everybody on the team will become overnight national heroes anyways since this is the biggest hockey event in the world. Which no one will forget. 1995. 2011.

So it might not be all positive but of course it will potentially test Dano's character.

Loads and loads of attention. When there are no Olympics, the hockey WC is the sports event of the year in Slovakia. It's the one sports event almost everyone in the country watches or at least follows. The broadcasts on TV average up to 1 million viewers per game (Slovakia's population being around 5,4 million).

And yes the players who play at the WC are celebrities (national heroes), especially when succesfull. Of course given the recent results (expectfor 2012) the craze is not as huge as in the early to mid 2000s, but if you are in Slovakia for a World's game of Slovakia, you likely will hear whenever Slovakia scores, even if you don't watch the game, because so many people are shouting in their homes.

Here some videos from the 2012 silver celebrations:

And back from 2002:

I'd dare to say (even though these words could be considered blasphemy on hfboards) that plenty of young Slovak (and Czech for that matter) players dream about winning the WC at least as much as about winning the Stanley Cup.

As there aren't so many young talented Slovak players, Daňo already got plenty of media attention when he made his WC debut in a minor role in 2013 (and it was the same with Habs prospect Martin Réway last year). Some would probably even speculate that it was too much attention and a part of what caused his bad second season in the KHL, but I wouldn't like to judge that.

His position on the team as one of only a handful players with NHL status would of course be different, so I don't think there's any reason to compare it with 2013.

Btw, one interesting tidbit, his father Jozef played for Slovakia at several Worlds, as well as the Lilehammer and Nagano Olympics.

ReggieRed

Good job. Good work. Good goal next!
Jan 6, 2015
Milford Center, OH
The US of A building a real powerhouse.

That was also the first thing I thought. The second thing I thought was good for him. Maybe getting an opportunity like this will help him take his game up a level. He's played internationally for the US before...twice in the U-18 WC and twice at the WJC, so the US Program must be familiar with him.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
According to today's Dispatch, Wennberg turned down an invitation from Sweden, though it's unclear if that was his choice or the team's:

...Rookie center Alexander Wennberg also was eligible to return to Springfield but will not do so because of a knee injury. He also turned down an invitation to play for Sweden at the world championships.

Wennberg’s knee injury will not require surgery, Kekalainen said, but playing on this spring would have delayed his course of treatment longer than the club wanted.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2015/04/14/Blue_Jackets_notebook_4-14.html

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad