2015 WHL Summer/Offseason Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
I would like to hear from anyone who's favorited WHL team will be rebuilding next season after losing some key player and what players might they have to trade that have value to a contending team.

Last edited:

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Is Calgary going to be rebuilding next season? I have been wondering for some time if Virtanen would be an option for Brandon if he is sent back.

arsmaster*

Is Calgary going to be rebuilding next season? I have been wondering for some time if Virtanen would be an option for Brandon if he is sent back.

Many Canucks fans (not me, I'm indifferent) want him moved away from Calgary. For me, I don't want him moved to a contender like Brandon though.

I want him to be a guy who gets developed as a #1 option 5on5, PP, and PK. He won't get that on deep teams.

Many Canucks fans also think he's going to start in Vancouver and even if he's not productive, if he can hit, agitate and not look out of place as an energy guy, he'd likely be there all year. I'm not really sure what I want.

He looks decent in the AHL playoffs, still gets to the net off the rush, shots on goal, hard hits, agitation, but I think staying down one more year with a strict focus on the cycle game, hanging onto the puck along the wall, better offensive movement during in zone offense and PKing would be much easier and better for his development.

I wouldn't cry if he were traded to Brandon though, that would be another chance at winning the league.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
FYI, Bob saying that Kelly McCrimmon was interviewed for the Maple Leafs last week (no idea of the position, could be Assistant GM). I think the Wheat Kings are the favourites, but that would be a big loss since they need some tooling here and there.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
I still think Calgary will be okay. They will challenge for the Divison, but if for some reason they don't, look for Brandon or Kelowna to acquire Virtanen. Maybe even Red Deer.

Look for Victoria to move into their downswing, they could be last in the Division. (Vancouver won't be great either)

PG and Kamloops will get better and battle for 2nd spot in BC div. I think Kelowna will take a step back, but will likely still take the divison (although it'll be closer than this year.)

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
What happens with Kamloops' Defence might decide how good they are next year.
They'll likely lose 4 vet D from last year's team. Gaudet was OA, Mcnulty and Rehill would be OA but will likely both be in the ahl.
Fora would be OA and Import if he came back.
I guess they could fill 2 OA spots with d-men even if the 2 above guys don't come back, and they could draft a vet Import D (96' or 97') to replace Fora. Far from clear right now and they probably want to get their top 2 picks in previous bantam draft in the lineup as 16's anyway.

As far as the OP, there isn't much in the way of big name guys who'll interest contenders. Shirley or Revel would be good pickups for somebody but Kamloops probably sees them as guys who'll be good OA'ers in 2 years, and not worth trading for what the return would be.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
What happens with Kamloops' Defence might decide how good they are next year.
They'll likely lose 4 vet D from last year's team. Gaudet was OA, Mcnulty and Rehill would be OA but will likely both be in the ahl.
Fora would be OA and Import if he came back.
I guess they could fill 2 OA spots with d-men even if the 2 above guys don't come back, and they could draft a vet Import D (96' or 97') to replace Fora. Far from clear right now and they probably want to get their top 2 picks in previous bantam draft in the lineup as 16's anyway.

As far as the OP, there isn't much in the way of big name guys who'll interest contenders. Shirley or Revel would be good pickups for somebody but Kamloops probably sees them as guys who'll be good OA'ers in 2 years, and not worth trading for what the return would be.

I've heard Fora will go back to Europe unless he's drafted by an NHL team.

arsmaster*

I've heard Fora will go back to Europe unless he's drafted by an NHL team.

You have any preliminary thoughts on next season R S?

Hard to know much at this point, and the import draft could change some things too.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
You have any preliminary thoughts on next season R S?

Hard to know much at this point, and the import draft could change some things too.

To be honest, I don't have many thoughts yet. Way too early still.

thething

Jul 28, 2014
Lethbridge signed a couple of their top picks today, including Jordy Bellerive who was picked 2nd overall last year.

Good news as it didn't look like Bellerive was going to sign a few months ago.

Hopefully the team can turn it around in the next few years, they've been a mess for a while now.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I wouldn't doubt if Seattle pulls the trigger on a big blockbuster. Next year is their year that they have building towards. Barzal will be 18 and I expect him to be top 5 scorer, Gropp will be 19 and they will have a bunch more impressive 18 year olds. I pray Fabbro will report to the team too. I wouldn't doubt if they acquire a person like Virtanen because they need more scoring up front

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site

I still see Calgary as a strong team next year. So I can't see them dealing Virtanen. They should have the bulk of there team back. There biggest lose to the team will be Tambellini.

I can see Edmonton selling key pieces off like Pollock, Mayo and Baddock to help start a build.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I still see Calgary as a strong team next year. So I can't see them dealing Virtanen. They should have the bulk of there team back. There biggest lose to the team will be Tambellini.

I can see Edmonton selling key pieces off like Pollock, Mayo and Baddock to help start a build.

Calgary had the best trio of 20's in the WHL.

Losing them will hurt, a lot.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
I wouldn't doubt if Seattle pulls the trigger on a big blockbuster. Next year is their year that they have building towards. Barzal will be 18 and I expect him to be top 5 scorer, Gropp will be 19 and they will have a bunch more impressive 18 year olds. I pray Fabbro will report to the team too. I wouldn't doubt if they acquire a person like Virtanen because they need more scoring up front

Where are we at with Fabbro?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Where are we at with Fabbro?

still waiting and seeing.. Vees are doing everything they can to make sure he comes back to them by naming him assistant captain already for next season(and they named Jost captain). Just a terrible decision by Fabbro even entertaining the idea of playing Junior A in his draft year. Could be a top 5 pick if he played WHL but definately wont be near that playing Junior A. Junior A is not a very good league in BC and he was already one of the better players last year as a 16 year old. He isnt going to be pushed at all next year.

I realize that NCAA is a great route too, but there is no way he plays another year in Junior A and then 4 years of NCAA, so why not just fast track it to the NHL and play Major Junior. Very strange

Im hoping once he sees the attntion his best friend Barzal gets once hes drafted, that Fabbro will want to join him in Seattle and get a taste of that next year

SNIPE

Wheaties #1
Mar 12, 2013
Lethbridge signed a couple of their top picks today, including Jordy Bellerive who was picked 2nd overall last year.

Good news as it didn't look like Bellerive was going to sign a few months ago.

Hopefully the team can turn it around in the next few years, they've been a mess for a while now.

Agreed, things are looking up in Lethbridge. Pete Anholt is doing a great job. They will be young this year but I say in a couple years they will be right in the mix. Their youth, Bellerive, Davis and Watson are guys they can build the team around.

PowerHourIce

Nov 17, 2014
still waiting and seeing.. Vees are doing everything they can to make sure he comes back to them by naming him assistant captain already for next season(and they named Jost captain). Just a terrible decision by Fabbro even entertaining the idea of playing Junior A in his draft year. Could be a top 5 pick if he played WHL but definately wont be near that playing Junior A. Junior A is not a very good league in BC and he was already one of the better players last year as a 16 year old. He isnt going to be pushed at all next year.

I realize that NCAA is a great route too, but there is no way he plays another year in Junior A and then 4 years of NCAA, so why not just fast track it to the NHL and play Major Junior. Very strange

Im hoping once he sees the attntion his best friend Barzal gets once hes drafted, that Fabbro will want to join him in Seattle and get a taste of that next year

Ya - what are they thinking!? I mean - he's only a top-10 NHL rated kid. So you're right, good idea would be to leave a situation that you're thriving in, throw away what is a superior development option for some - especially d-men (NCAA) and go play in a league that's a grind / not super well suited to 185# defenders. But I guess the trade for maybe a few draft sports (i.e.: ego) might be worth it to some.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Ya - what are they thinking!? I mean - he's only a top-10 NHL rated kid. So you're right, good idea would be to leave a situation that you're thriving in, throw away what is a superior development option for some - especially d-men (NCAA) and go play in a league that's a grind / not super well suited to 185# defenders. But I guess the trade for maybe a few draft sports (i.e.: ego) might be worth it to some.

Some would argue another year in the BCHL "could" stunt his growth. If he can handle big mins in the BCHL already, I assume he is ready for some stiffer competition. IE: WHL forwards.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
McCrimmon announced that he is going to be staying with the Wheat Kings for at least this year and that he will be assistant coach of the World Junior team this year.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
That is some dedication, but i mean, who wants to be a part of that mess?!

The Leafs are going in a good direction, and fast.

It won't be long before they're seen as one of the better run organizations in the NHL. I honestly believe that. The people running that team are very good smart hockey people.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
The Leafs are going in a good direction, and fast.

It won't be long before they're seen as one of the better run organizations in the NHL. I honestly believe that. The people running that team are very good smart hockey people.

Maybe so, but it's still a fishbowl. Pressure is so immense it will force their hand, as it has for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad