2015 - What do we expect?

xtr3m

Jan 28, 2009
Vancouver
Doubt we'll get to pick this high (unless via a trade) any time soon. The owners wanted a team that's good enough to make playoffs and Linden acted accordingly.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I'm actually surprised by the optimism.

Sedin- Sedin- Burrows
Higgins- Bonino- Jensen
Matthias- Horvat- Kassian
Sestito- Richardson- Dorsett
Archibald

Hamhuis- Bieksa
Edler- Tanev
Stanton- Corrado
Sbisa

Lack/Markstrom

Bottom 10 team. Don't see a way to UFA buy a way out of it.

Willting*

So are you happy with how things went? Not a single quality asset acquired in any trades.

I reluctantly accept that this team needs a new core. Let's face it, even with Kesler this team is not going to win the cup. Obviously us fans would like a top 3 pick next year but that's not happening.

I'm optimistic about the plan Benning has in place. A hard to play against, 4 lines, gritty team matches well against teams in the Pacific. These teams have proven to be winners as well. So long as Benning builds towards that then I'm okay with him.

Gillis is the one that screwed it all up. Go from Luongo and Schneider to Lack and Markstrom in 1 year and he expected to keep his job?

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I reluctantly accept that this team needs a new core. Let's face it, even with Kesler this team is not going to win the cup. Obviously us fans would like a top 3 pick next year but that's not happening.

I'm optimistic about the plan Benning has in place. A hard to play against, 4 lines, gritty team matches well against teams in the Pacific. These teams have proven to be winners as well. So long as Benning builds towards that then I'm okay with him.

Gillis is the one that screwed it all up. Go from Luongo and Schneider to Lack and Markstrom in 1 year and he expected to keep his job?

The Canucks are not a 4 line team. They are not a gritty team. They are not hard to play against.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I'm actually surprised by the optimism.

Sedin- Sedin- Burrows
Higgins- Bonino- Jensen
Matthias- Horvat- Kassian
Sestito- Richardson- Dorsett
Archibald

Hamhuis- Bieksa
Edler- Tanev
Stanton- Corrado
Sbisa

Lack/Markstrom

Bottom 10 team. Don't see a way to UFA buy a way out of it.

In the West that roster will be a top 5 pick... Maybe let Horvat go back to the OHL..

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
We need to bomb next year and get that surefire franchise changing prospect.

Then we'll have one of the best young cores in the league and we go from there.

Trade all the dead weight over the course of this year. Burrows, Hansen, Higgins etc. all go for picks. Do this the right way.

We can come back stronger than ever with a top pick next year. Just imagine a nucleus of:

- One of McDavid, Eichel, Barzal, Strome, Kylington
- Horvat
- Virtanen
- Shinkaruk
- McCann
- Gaunce
- Fox
- Cassels
- Tanev
- Jensen
- Kassian
- Corrado
- Hutton
- Whoever we draft at #36 and #50 this year

Suddenly looks pretty damn stellar.

GCM

Stork
Jun 22, 2010
So are you happy with how things went? Not a single quality asset acquired in any trades.

If you want to see just how much of a joke this opinion of yours is, head over to Anaheim's board and read the posts in the Kesler thread there.

See just how they feel about parting with Bonino.

Try to remember that your personal views are not fact. "Not a single quality asset acquired in any trades" I'd be unhappy if that was the case.

It's not.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
We need to bomb next year and get that surefire franchise changing prospect.

Then we'll have one of the best young cores in the league and we go from there.

Trade all the dead weight over the course of this year. Burrows, Hansen, Higgins etc. all go for picks. Do this the right way.

We can come back stronger than ever with a top pick next year. Just imagine a nucleus of:

- One of McDavid, Eichel, Barzal, Strome, Kylington
- Horvat
- Virtanen
- Shinkaruk
- McCann
- Gaunce
- Fox
- Cassels
- Tanev
- Jensen
- Kassian
- Corrado
- Hutton
- Whoever we draft at #36 and #50 this year

Suddenly looks pretty damn stellar.

We really need D

Blue Suede Shoes

hound dog
May 5, 2012
Just saw video of Benning discussing the trades he made. Some of his statements:

Thinks Sbisa is "going to develop into a real good defenseman for us."
Thinks Sbisa will develop into "top-4 defenseman"
Thinks they've found their "2nd-line center" in Bonino
Expects Bonino to replace Kesler's goal production.

If Bonino is pegged as our 2nd line center... that might not be a good sign for our future. And if he expects Sbisa to be a top-4 dman for us... that doesn't sound very promising either.

Philx

Aug 6, 2011
I will be satisfied if they play up tempo, aggressive, entertaining hockey with a high level of competitiveness that features team play, skill, puck possession and creativity. I am not really expecting a play off team unless the roster changes significantly or some of the younger prospects play at a very high level consistently.

I fear boring feckless hockey but I don't think that is very likely; for some reason, I have faith in Willie to produce a team that will be fun to watch most nights. If that happens, another year out of the playoffs would not bother me as I expect this team will take several years to be really competitive even if all their prospects develop as hoped.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Doubt we'll get to pick this high (unless via a trade) any time soon. The owners wanted a team that's good enough to make playoffs and Linden acted accordingly.

How have we improved? Kesler to bonino is a very obvious downgrade. Garrison to Sbisa is a downgrade.

We are a lock for bottom 5 IMO. The team is worse than the one that finished the season in 25th.

Canuckz

Jul 8, 2012
You hit the nail on the head. I know the Nucks forum is reactionary, but I was not expecting the epic pissing and moaning I've read on here. It's embarrassing.

The last half of last season was an anomaly and we gutted with injuries, Yet we still almost made the playoffs even with Tortz coaching abomination

Why even follow a team if you want them to purposely tank and play like ***** for a year? This isn't the 1980's Penguin era.

I think Benning has done well with what he was given with Kesler who handcuffed the Nucks chances.

Benning is not finished, and I'll trust a guy who has been playing and scouting for 30 years over a bunch of drama queens :help:

Overreaction. You guys are ridiculous.

We are literally not even a day in to re shaping the team. There will be more trades and more signings.

Can't we wait a week?

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
You hit the nail on the head. I know the Nucks forum is reactionary, but I was not expecting the epic pissing and moaning I've read on here. It's embarrassing.

The last half of last season was an anomaly and we gutted with injuries, Yet we still almost made the playoffs even with Tortz coaching abomination

Why even follow a team if you want them to purposely tank and play like ***** for a year? This isn't the 1980's Penguin era.

I think Benning has done well with what he was given with Kesler who handcuffed the Nucks chances.

Benning is not finished, and I'll trust a guy who has been playing and scouting for 30 years over a bunch of drama queens :help:

BS on "anomaly" it's been a dropping degradation for the last few seasons.

Goals per game:

2014: 2.33 (28th in the NHL)
2013: 2.54 (19th in the NHL)
2012: 2.94 (5th in the NHL)

Powerplay:

2014: 15.2% (26th in the NHL)
2013: 15.8% (22nd in the NHL)
2012: 19.8% (4th in the NHL)

Right now the Canucks have 1 player who had 20 goals last year (Bonino...) and only two others that had more than 15 goals (Higgins and Daniel).

So far the Canucks have lost Kesler (25 goals), Garrison (7 goals), Santorelli (10 goals) and others who likely wont be back or are already gone [Dalpe, Schroeder, Weise] (10 goals). That's 52 of their 196 goals gone.

Right now they have 27 goals coming back in the form of Bonino, Sbisa and Dorsett.

Their best point shot now is Alex Edler...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad