OT: 2015 Vancouver Whitecaps FC Thread - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Sucks how bad we've been, but not having a proper CAM for most of the game does not help.

I know he's a fan favourite, but I think we should look to move Koffie as I think he's looks uninspired in a defensive role and isn't good enough for an offensive role.

Oh well, onto the Montreal game, hopefully it's more entertaining.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Because, if Rivero gets hurt in the first 5 minutes, Mattocks is a better replacement than Earnshaw.

Earnshaw is a good final 15 minutes sub these days.

Depth up front is by far Vancouver's biggest weakness.

I'd rather play Manneh as a striker instead of Mattocks. Hell, move Waston up front. Mattocks is one of the few guys that will need to move on. I'd also try and find a striking partner for Rivero because he's just too isolated if he's left on his own.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
I know he's a fan favourite, but I think we should look to move Koffie as I think he's looks uninspired in a defensive role and isn't good enough for an offensive role.

Oh well, onto the Montreal game, hopefully it's more entertaining.
You can obviously say this for a lot of players, but if Koffie could play his best consistently, he'd be a very good player. When he played CDM for a few games towards the end of the year he looked great. He's certainly not cut out for an attacking role though.

Frostage

May 23, 2014
Whitecaps 0 - 0 Portland

Game was a bit cagey, neither team really wanted to force the issue offensively and leave themselves open for a counter.

The 'caps had a couple of chances in the first half, the cutback to Koffie and the cutback to Rivero. Rivero probably should have scored, and Koffie should have hit the target, but he may have been trying to feed Techera.

Portland started to take it too them in the second half. Near the end, the 'caps looked like the more tired team and probably were lucky to escape with a goalless draw.

The positives for me were the play of Rosales and Morales. They look so much better going forward than some of our other players. Really comfortable and confident on the ball.

The rest of the team was poor in the final third, missing passes and gifting Portland possession.

Uncharacteristically poor game for Parker. Had a couple of defensive errors, let the ball run through once or twice. Perhaps the rookie actually has nerves. Looking for him to bounce back next game.

Waston was his usual dominant force in the air.

Was really scared when Laba went down. The team depends so much on his play.

Manneh had a poor game.

Techera was quiet too.

Rivero missed on a glorious chance but does the little things well.

Beitashour had number of very good tackles that were drastically needed.

Teibert had a weak game. Perhaps we see a line-up change for next week, probably depends on the health of Rosales and Morales.

Ousted made a big save off a Portland free kick, another one on a break, which Waston then cleared and was solid on corners.

The 'caps host Portland next Sunday at home, with the lower bowl completely opened up. Win and they are through to the next round. If they are to do so, they will have to be much better. Hopefully they will be.

RingWraith

May 3, 2003
New Westminster
So why did Vancouver look like they didn't want to score? Wouldn't it be an advantage get an away goal? Then Portland would need 2 or more.

Weird. Vancouver looked dis interested offensively.

It has to be Robinson's strategy... it's all I can even justify. The plan was to hold the Timbers scoreless at home, putting themselves in position to take it all at BC Place. But it's a stupid strategy. The Whitecaps are offensively handicapped, and Portland only needs a tie to win. Caps HAVE to outscore Portland next game. This is gonna be ugly.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
It has to be Robinson's strategy... it's all I can even justify. The plan was to hold the Timbers scoreless at home, putting themselves in position to take it all at BC Place. But it's a stupid strategy. The Whitecaps are offensively handicapped, and Portland only needs a tie to win. Caps HAVE to outscore Portland next game. This is gonna be ugly.
I really don't think it was strategic at all. The moment they got the ball, they simply coughed it up under pressure or with a poor pass. I don't think it was a case of sitting back particularly. The possession numbers confirm what it looked like: they couldn't get and/or keep the ball.

Pretty embarrassing after the huge gift of Timber fatigue that Sporting KC gave Vancouver.

metric

May 6, 2010
So many head scratchers about last night's game. I only hope that Morales is fully fit to start next week. Really sucks Mezquida is out too. Two HUGE offensive playmakers for us. Koffie simply isn't a #10. I would have preferred Teibert in that role but I'm not entire sure how much bettter it would have been, if at all. I'm not sure if that's why Techera and Manneh were playing so narrow since they excel pushing down the wings.

I LOVE Robinson but sometimes I feel he likes to play it safe. As others have said, Portland were there for the picking. Playing 120 minutes and the longest MLS penalty shoot out ever just three days before and missing their #1 keeper. :shakehead

RingWraith

May 3, 2003
New Westminster
I really don't think it was strategic at all. The moment they got the ball, they simply coughed it up under pressure or with a poor pass. I don't think it was a case of sitting back particularly. The possession numbers confirm what it looked like: they couldn't get and/or keep the ball.

Pretty embarrassing after the huge gift of Timber fatigue that Sporting KC gave Vancouver.

I can agree with that. It was an abysmal effort. I just don't see how this is a positive result. Relative to a loss, yes sure. They better play the match of their lives next Sunday, guns a blazing.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
So many head scratchers about last night's game. I only hope that Morales is fully fit to start next week.
He's nowhere close. They've only brought him on as an emergency measure, but in spite of that he's been reported as "sort of done for the season".
I can agree with that. It was an abysmal effort. I just don't see how this is a positive result. Relative to a loss, yes sure. They better play the match of their lives next Sunday, guns a blazing.
Indeed, it was a disappointing result as well as a disappointing showing. If the situations were reversed (the Caps being the tired team), 0-0 would be a huge coup. And since the Caps were a good road team and poor-ish home team this year, having the "advantage" heading home scoreless doesn't really feel like an edge over the away-goals trump card that Portland now has.

I don't know what the numbers are for teams heading home 0-0 (I mean in theory winning at home should be a lot easier, otherwise there would be no away-goals rule... but it doesn't feel like it), but they're surely a lot worse than teams heading back 1-1 or 2-2.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Isn't home field kind of a disadvantage since you have to outscore your opponent or you lose due to away goals?

Frostage

May 23, 2014
So many head scratchers about last night's game. I only hope that Morales is fully fit to start next week. Really sucks Mezquida is out too. Two HUGE offensive playmakers for us. Koffie simply isn't a #10. I would have preferred Teibert in that role but I'm not entire sure how much bettter it would have been, if at all. I'm not sure if that's why Techera and Manneh were playing so narrow since they excel pushing down the wings.

I LOVE Robinson but sometimes I feel he likes to play it safe. As others have said, Portland were there for the picking. Playing 120 minutes and the longest MLS penalty shoot out ever just three days before and missing their #1 keeper. :shakehead

Totally agree that Koffie isn't a number 10, but I don't think the solution is to play Teibert there. Teibert has plateaued this year in my opinion. He plays it safe and looks to keep possession, which are good attributes but he seems to overdue it which stifles his offensive creativity. His long range passing has looked off and like many MSL players he only uses one foot. It is a bit funny that he was an offensive player growing up, remember he broke into the team as a winger, but has been converted into a holding midfielder.

So if you are playing Robo's favourite 4-2-3-1 and Mezquida, Morales, and Rosales are unavailable as starters I'm not sure who else could've played as the # 10. Maybe you could slide Manneh in from the wing, and then play Teibert outside, and have Flores or Koffie teamed up with Laba. The other option I guess would have been to change the formation, but that would be asking a lot of his players after playing almost every regular season game in a different formation. Robo went with what got him there, and the lack of possession and goals is more on the players. He did not go out to park the bus and play for the 0-0 draw. Moreover, if Koffie or Rivero scores in the first half, then Portland is forced to open things up, allowing the 'caps to play to their speed and hit them on the counter.

Portland has a slight advantage because of the away goals rule, but the result is simple. Win, and the 'caps will advance. Not a horrible set of conditions, by any means.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
I'm a little confused: so if Sunday's game is a tie, Portland wins the home/home series? How does that work?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I'm a little confused: so if Sunday's game is a tie, Portland wins the home/home series? How does that work?

If any goals are scored and it's a tie, yes, Portland wins.

I believe if it's a 0-0 tie at the end of full time, they would go to extra time?

At the end of the day - the Caps must score more goals than the Timbers in Game 2 in order to win the series.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
If any goals are scored and it's a tie, yes, Portland wins.

I believe if it's a 0-0 tie at the end of full time, they would go to extra time?

At the end of the day - the Caps must score more goals than the Timbers in Game 2 in order to win the series.
That makes no sense, why would this be?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Just the way two game home and homes are played. Gives added weight to playing attacking style and for scoring on the road. Caps would have been better getting a 1-1 tie yesterday than 0-0.

But from the looks of them they were lucky to get out with any sort of draw.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Standard FIFA tie-breaking rules. You tally up the total goals scored by each side in two legs (one home, one away). If it's tied, but one team scored on the road (which is "hard to do" in soccer terms) more than the other, that team wins. It's how the Whitecaps lost the 2013 Voyageurs' Cup to Montreal, and why they were in a great position to win it this year, after drawing 2-2 in Montreal (a game I attended).

Isn't home field kind of a disadvantage since you have to outscore your opponent or you lose due to away goals?
Well there is one game in each city, so both teams therefore have the same opportunity to win on away goals... there is no real "home field advantage" to either side overall (as compared to a best-of-odd-number-of-games series), except that it's a bit of a psychological edge to be at home for the second game when you know exactly what you have to do. I mean, Vancouver could have taken advantage of this rule, if they had so much as notched a 1-1 draw in Portland (or even lost 2-1, say). In the former case, they could play for the 0-0 tie at home and win.

The reason why this sort of prejudices home teams is because, historically, soccer teams just have a hell of a time scoring on the road and routinely play for the draw. In a winner-take-all game you want to be at home, so the assumption is that a home team victory is still the most likely outcome. And to be fair, all else being equal, the Whitecaps are probably in a slightly better position than Portland by getting a saw-off there -- essentially they have reduced it to a one-game series in Vancouver only, where the historical odds say they are in the more comfortable position and more likely to win. But by not scoring they have exposed themselves in a draw situation other than 0-0.

Note that if the game in Vancouver finishes 0-0 and they go to extra time, the away goals rule still applies, so a 1-1 draw in extra time loses it. (The tradeoff being that the Whitecaps are still at home for the extra 30 minutes).

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
So if it's 0-0 it's shootouts. But if it's 1-1 the caps lose yes?

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Is there any more tickets available?, I am looking to go to the game.

Two ideally, where is a good place to buy?

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Can't wait for the game tomorrow!!!!

Got my tickets immediately after the last regular season game, and it feels like the longest 2 weeks ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad