Blue Jays GDT: (2015 v46)Reg Season Finale:@TB | Sun, Oct 4 | 3pm ET/12pm PT | Buehrle vs Moore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paneerboy

Leave Zach alone
May 16, 2015
Man I loved Buehrle. If this really is his last start of his career and he isn't being included on the playoff roster then congrats to him. Great career and solid with the Jays.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
He did indeed do a great job "holding down the fort" until Stroman came back.

Will he make the hall?

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Man I loved Buehrle. If this really is his last start of his career and he isn't being included on the playoff roster then congrats to him. Great career and solid with the Jays.

Teams can make roster changes after each series so Buehrle could still be on a playoff roster if there is an injury at some point.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere

Will he make the hall?

Doubt it. He might get in based on longevity and consistency over his career, but that's the only arguments in his favor. He wasn't really ever a dominant pitcher, just a consistent one who would get you 13-16 wins most years, 200+ innings, and an ERA around 4.00. He has some other things to fallback on though, most notable being gold glove caliber pitcher and he effectively shut down the running game whenever he pitched.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Doubt it. He might get in based on longevity and consistency over his career, but that's the only arguments in his favor. He wasn't really ever a dominant pitcher, just a consistent one who would get you 13-16 wins most years, 200+ innings, and an ERA around 4.00. He has some other things to fallback on though, most notable being gold glove caliber pitcher and he effectively shut down the running game whenever he pitched.

He could make it, he's one of those "honourable mention" hall of famers. On the cusp of making it but not quite there.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Will he make the hall?

He's in that Morris/Tiant/Hershiser tier. Maybe the vet committee gets him later on, but it doesn't seem like he will make it through the balloting process. There's just too much competition that he will not be able to beat out and his credentials don't really stack up against the most recent selections.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
is there any specific reason why you can't change your lineup within a series?
i feel this should be obvious to me, but it's not clicking so... yes. once again. Daisy is asking a question because she knows nothing :laugh:

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
It's going to be annoying in these threads until the playoffs starts if KC wins their game. Something something throwing games, something something win in spite of Gibbons, something something grit

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Minnesota is fielding a AAA lineup today. I guess Paul Molitor does not give 2 ***** about Toronto :laugh: Or he is doing his old team a favour because he knows that the first place team in either league has not done well historically in the playoffs ;)

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
i feel this should be obvious to me, but it's not clicking so... yes. once again. Daisy is asking a question because she knows nothing :laugh:

I don't think there really is one other than to make for an interesting strategic moves.

That said, there is probably also some good reasoning to not let teams change their rosters every game during the post-season, ie: giving a relief pitcher an inning in one game and then subbing him with another one the next day. Though that also kind of fits under the "strategy" thing.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006

We have to set a 25 man roster. I'm guessing the reasoning follows simliarly to why Buck and Pat hate the 40 man roster in September (blowing your entire bullpen on switching pitchers over and over again for no reason).

IMO, it is stupid to be able to have more than 25 guys for a playoff series (and I believe that we can injury sub if someone is hurt, we simply can't replace a guy because he is tired).

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Minnesota is fielding a AAA lineup today. I guess Paul Molitor does not give 2 ***** about Toronto :laugh: Or he is doing his old team a favour because he knows that the first place team in either league has not done well historically in the playoffs ;)

Paul Molitor is doing what is best for the Twins. If you have young guys with the team and you are out of it, you play them and see who might have a shot at the team next year.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I don't think there really is one other than to make for an interesting strategic moves.

That said, there is probably also some good reasoning to not let teams change their rosters every game during the post-season, ie: giving a relief pitcher an inning in one game and then subbing him with another one the next day. Though that also kind of fits under the "strategy" thing.

Even without any kind of strategy, you would only carry one starter instead of four, giving both teams three more position players or relievers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad