Blue Jays GDT: 2015 v26) Next: @ LA Angels| Sun, Aug 23| 3:30PM ET/12:30PM PT | Dickey vs Richards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
It's a dumb rule imo but it is a rule. If the runner on 1st wants to vacate 1st to try and advance to 2nd then the hitter should be allowed to try and occupy 1st, but it's not allowed.

It's just how it is man.

I can't explain it either.

I guess the runner on 1st can advance when it's considered a wild pitch but for some reason, regardless of the circumstances, the batter can't go to 1st when that base is occupied.

I don't remember that rule from little league. That was over 20 years ago though. Thanks guys for the refresher.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
you guys are confusing me. what?

when Smoak struck out EE was on 1st. Normally because the catcher didn't catch strike 3, Smoak is allowed to try to run to 1st and get on base. It's one of those weird rules.

However, because EE was on 1st, and thus 1st was occupied by a runner, Smoak is auotmatically out on strikes, he can't run to 1st. Even though EE left 1st to run to 2nd on the wild pitch. Smoak was still out.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
This Angels infield is the infield equivalent of the Juan Rivera-Corey Patterson-Rajai Davis OF of the good old days.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Yankees lose. Jays are now tied for 1st.
TU6HJjI.gif

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
I don't want to ruin it since it's only the bottom of the 3rd, but this home plate umpire is calling a good game. Angels can complain, but the pitches weren't strikes (namely the 3-2 pitch to Goins).

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
you guys are confusing me. what?

If a guy strikes out, but the pitch is wild and gets past the catcher, or the catcher flubs the catch and drops it, the batter can try to run to 1st and get there on an error, provided he reaches before the catcher recovers the ball and makes a throw to the 1st baseman (it's almost kind of like he's stealing 1st, but he can only do it when he's already out at the plate. You can't try it on a wild pitch on a 0-1 count). But because Edwin was already on 1st base at that point, Smoak couldn't run because 1st still "belongs" to Edwin at that point.

I don't entirely get it either because normally you would think that 1st stops being Edwin's and is free'd up by the time he reaches 2nd, but I guess it's not that simple. Baseball is weird like that.

EDIT: Ok, longshot filled in why it was the way it was there. Makes sense. Baseball is still confusing as hell like that though. So many rules that when someone asks "why?" all you can do is shrug and give a mumbly "I dunno."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad