OT: 2015 Redskins Part VIII: Skins Offseason: Hello, Norman

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Jnorm is a Mclou guy all the way. Watched some clips of him from last year to zero in on a feel for this, and he'd fit right in with the Legion of Boom. I don't think this is a Danny Deal.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
With Norman on board, hoping for one of the following in the 1st round (assuming Reed & Robinson are gone)

DT - Vernon Butler
DT - Andrew Billings
SS - Karl Joseph (might be able to trade down and still get him)

Last edited:

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
With Norman on board, hoping for one of the following in the 1st round (assuming Reed & Robinson are gone)

DT - Vernon Butler
DT - Andrew Billings

Reggie Ragland out of Alabama for me. Could be the Skins version of Luke Kuechly.

BOTTOM LINE Thumping inside linebacker with throwback size and tone*setting mentality. Ragland is a confident and capable early starter in league who has the temperament to become one of the premier run*-stopping inside linebackers in the pro game. Ragland has some coverage and speed limitations, but his instincts and overall awareness should be able to mask those issues.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/reggie-ragland?id=2555169

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

DT - Vernon Butler
DT - Andrew Billings

I've seen some drafts where we take Kelly (C from Alabama) and Nkemdiche (DT from Ole Miss) in first 2 rounds.

That would be AWESOME.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Would like to get one of Karl Joseph or Jeremy Cash in the draft.

Not sure how I feel about this signing. Years of FA busts don't inspire confidence in big money signings.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Roberts is a clear cut candidate.

Lichty could be as well, but center is kind of a important position. It would need to be solidified before he is cut or soon after. O-line needs time to gel.

Cutting Garcon would be a huge mistake. He is arguably the best all around football player on the team.

Roberts is gone, maybe Riley is a good ST player, but he frees up some decent cash ($4 mil), Licht might stick around but they got by with LeRibeus. You're right that Long could make the move too. And they have Reiter who the drafted last year, he seems like the developmental guy.

Garçon frees up $8 mil. I prefer to keep him too but really I think Skins gotta draft a guy next week early since Garcon and Jackson are both free agents next year. I can't see the skins keeping them both

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Karl Joseph would be a great pick, I like Reggie Ragland too. Josh Doctson or Michael Thomas at WR.

There is a lot of talent in this draft, we should find some decent players deep into the draft

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Maybe it's just noted Eagles homer Ron Jaworski attempting to justify Philly's massive payment to move up to the 2 spot, but Jaws claims there's a very shallow QB prospect pool the next few years, which explains the Eagles looking for their guy NOW. Given that, I think we can expect the Skins to ink Cousins to that long-term deal sooner rather than later if it provides some kind of cap relief by virtue of term.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

If he underperforms, skins can opt out of deal after second year

Some more details about his contract:

Per a source with knowledge of the deal, Norman will receive a $15 million signing bonus along with $36.5 million fully guaranteed, earned over the first two years. While that’s not $50 million (duh), it’s a great payout for a deal signed on April 22.

The first three years are strong as well. Norman will make $20 million through the first year, $37 million (if he earns a $500,000 46-man roster bonus in 2017, as he likely will) through 2017, and $51 million through 2018.

That’s more than Norman would have gotten under two years of the franchise tag in Carolina, where his $13.95 million tender in 2016 would have become $16.74 million in 2017, for a total of $30.69 million over two seasons.

If Washington chooses not to keep Norman through three years at $51 million (an average of $17 million per year), he’ll exit with $18.5 million per year over two. (They’ll have to make a decision early in his third year; the balance of his injury-only guarantee becomes fully-guaranteed on the fifth day of the 2018 league year.)

With the deal paying out $51 million over the first three years, the likelihood of Washington keeping Norman over the full five years increases, since he makes $11.5 million in 2019 and $12.5 million in 2020, numbers that will be well below the market for high-end cornerbacks by the end of the decade.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...million-fully-guaranteed-at-signing/#comments

17mil per year for the 1st three years. Thats about as much as Cousins, Bradford and Osweiler are making a year. Thats a lot.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Garçon frees up $8 mil. I prefer to keep him too but really I think Skins gotta draft a guy next week early since Garcon and Jackson are both free agents next year. I can't see the skins keeping them both

No question Garcon is a possible cut casualty, but man is he a hell of a football player. He is the backbone of the receiver corp. I'd hate to see him cut because there is no one on the roster currently to take his place and the only way to potentially replace him through the draft is to use a high pick on a WR. Those high draft picks are better used on defense. But the draft is next week. We will know soon enough.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think Mclou sees a DB leader in Norman that can take over after Dhall hangs em up, which might happen sooner rather than later. Hence the investment.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I think Mclou sees a DB leader in Norman that can take over after Dhall hangs em up, which might happen sooner rather than later. Hence the investment.

I think McClou also see swagger in Norman, attitude. A Richard Sherman type. John Keim, or another beat guy, brought that up. Culliver has it as well. McClou is trying to build a secondary like he built in SEA. Sounds good to me.

Sep 19, 2008
The beauty of this contract is the opt out after 2 years. If he's playing poorly by then and he's another bust we can cut ties. So it's not 5 years of a bust, if it happens.

2 years in his prime should be fine by me. If he's regressed he hits the market and if he doesn't he'll become a fan favorite.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think McClou also see swagger in Norman, attitude. A Richard Sherman type. John Keim, or another beat guy, brought that up. Culliver has it as well. McClou is trying to build a secondary like he built in SEA. Sounds good to me.

That's the exact impression I got and why I mentioned the Legion of Boom. Mclou has his "types" and goes off the script to get them in-house.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I had $15 per in my head, so this is a little more painful. Will make that Cousins extension more important now. As long as a Norman is a top-5 CB for 3 years we're good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad