OT: 2015 Redskins Part VIII: Skins Offseason: Hello, Norman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I know it sounds like this was a GMSM signing, but years of Danny at the helm and living in Philadelphia while they constantly have DB signings explode in their face gives me anxiety.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
WaPost has an article up with a run down of how the process un-folded in signing Norman. Here is something I think most of us Skins fans will find refreshing, the bold part re-assuring and the underlined fan-****ing-tastic:

The way things work within the franchise under Scot McCloughan, the general manager serves as the chief talent evaluator. McCloughan, Coach Jay Gruden and his assistants and team president Bruce Allen will confer, although McCloughan can and has overruled their opinions. McCloughan makes the final call on which players to pursue, and Allen and chief negotiator Eric Schaffer make it happen. Snyder, meanwhile, is kept abreast of plans, people within the organization said, but no longer is a key member of discussion meetings.

The Redskins now have their starting cornerback tandem in Norman and Breeland. But it remains to be seen what will happen with Culliver, whose $8 million contract is not guaranteed and now could be dispensable. However, the move seems to have positioned coaches to proceed with the plan to transition Will Blackmon, who started 10 games at cornerback last season, to safety.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...pid=hp_local-news_skins-0645pm:homepage/story

Last edited:

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Veeeery interesting...

http://www.hogshaven.com/2016/4/25/11502364/redskins-to-trade-for-kam-chancellor

A secondary of Norman, Breeland, Culliver, Jarrett, Chancellor would be quite incredible, and given how often the Redskins use the nickel, would be able to shut down any NFCE offense.

It would be nice to get Chancellor, but at what cost? Draft pick(s) obviously, but salary cap space would have to be cleared because Chancellor's issue in SEA is he wants a new contract. So if he is traded to the Skins it would be under the stipulation he gets a new deal.

I can't see it. McClou wants to build through the draft and getting Chancellor would mean dealing picks. Then cap space? A lot would need to happen. But I didn't think they would go after or get Norman. If I knew the game I would be in it. :laugh:

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
From mailbag post on WaPost:

There’ve been rumblings about a Kam Chancellor trade. It hardly seems realistic, as McCloughan would have to give up picks, and he loves his picks. Do you envision a scenario where both Norman and Chancellor are wreaking havoc in our secondary next year? What would that trade look like?

– Rohit Raghava

There is no truth to that rumor that the Redskins are trying to trade for Seattle Seahawks safety Kam Chancellor, I was told by a team source. I really don’t know where it started. I think it was some type of hypothetical thing thrown out there, and because McCloughan helped bring Chancellor to Seattle, people have gotten excited over the possibility. But, you’re right. McCloughan doesn’t want to part with his draft picks. He’d possibly have to give up a first- or second-rounder for Chancellor. He’d rather trade down, get more picks, and find the next Kam Chancellor.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...h-norman-kam-chancellor-rumors-and-the-draft/

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
This is a copy-cat league and I think the free agency success of Denver is probably influencing SM.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
This is a copy-cat league and I think the free agency success of Denver is probably influencing SM.

DEN is a blueprint, but McClou seems to be following a blueprint he helped create in SEA. Norman is his Richard Sherman type CB. Now he needs safety's and some big boys up front.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Keim picks Karl Joseph in ESPN's Mock Draft. Thinks they might trade back

Wouldn't mind seeing a trade back, hopefully staying in the first, but going no later than early second. Really hoping Lynch falls to 21 -- that should drive some interest in our pick. Would love to see them take C Kelly from Bama, but not at 21. If we could get some combination of him AND an S or a DT w/ late 1st + early second, AND keep our second, that would be a huge win.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Wouldn't mind seeing a trade back, hopefully staying in the first, but going no later than early second. Really hoping Lynch falls to 21 -- that should drive some interest in our pick. Would love to see them take C Kelly from Bama, but not at 21. If we could get some combination of him AND an S or a DT w/ late 1st + early second, AND keep our second, that would be a huge win.

The Vikings GM is saying he is fielding calls of teams wanting to trade up to the Vikings pick at #23. If he is getting calls then you better believe McClou is getting the same at #21.

“It will be interesting at the 23rd pick because I’ve already had two calls that I can verify today about teams potentially coming up our way,†Spielman said.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/27/vikings-g-m-teams-are-calling-about-moving-up-to-23/

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
The Vikings GM is saying he is fielding calls of teams wanting to trade up to the Vikings pick at #23. If he is getting calls then you better believe McClou is getting the same at #21.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/27/vikings-g-m-teams-are-calling-about-moving-up-to-23/

LOVE to see that!

In quasi-related news, Philadelphia is lead contender to host the NFL draft starting next year. I'm going to open a stand right outside the venue and sell batteries to the Eagles fans on their way in ($5 a pop for D's, $3 for C's). Won't make a million next year, because the Iggles don't have a first rounder, but come 2018, I expect to be able to fund my kids' Ivy League dreams.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

Kelly and Nkemdiche as first 2 picks would be unreal. Like happiest draft in a long while unreal.

Jackstrom19

Jun 5, 2012
Kelly and Nkemdiche as first 2 picks would be unreal. Like happiest draft in a long while unreal.

Nkemdiche scares me a little too much. Ideally if I was SM, I'd trade back to a spot where I could still get Kelly. Then go after a guy like Su'a Cravens in the 2nd round to play that hybrid safety(kam chancellor position)

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am glad the NHL went head to head with the NFL draft. Which now milks the draft over 3 days - hockey must go on.

The first round is so painfully slow, hockey fans know they really won't miss much since hardcores have a laptop or phone in hand tracking it all, and DVRing all to boot.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
The draft is a hoopla filled snooze fest. It's cool to see if you make any trades and it's cool to know about the fist few picks. That's about it.

Hockey playoffs, and Caps-Pens on top, blows that right out of the water.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The draft is a hoopla filled snooze fest. It's cool to see if you make any trades and it's cool to know about the fist few picks. That's about it.

Hockey playoffs, and Caps-Pens on top, blows that right out of the water.

The draft is awful. Don't teams have 10 minutes or something ridiculous for their picks in the 1st round?

NFLN was reshowing every draft from 2008 (I believe) and forward last Saturday morning. You have a serious problem and need to get a life if you spent any part of your day rewatching past NFL drafts.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The draft is awful. Don't teams have 10 minutes or something ridiculous for their picks in the 1st round?

NFLN was reshowing every draft from 2008 (I believe) and forward last Saturday morning. You have a serious problem and need to get a life if you spent any part of your day rewatching past NFL drafts.

I snorted at that as well. I like the draft but it needs to move along faster. Best to just have a webpage updating the pics going while watching something else, then flip over to the draft when something is happening.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

I saw that last night, and even as an NFL draft fan, I immediately thought, who on earth wants to rewatch old drafts?! Although....Might be neat to see Sean Taylor picked again....:cry:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I want Karl Joseph. Been beating that drum for a year now before it was a popular pick. Saw him play live and thought he's the next great safety in the NFL. Would be really fitting to pick a stud safety with pick #21...

Jackstrom19

Jun 5, 2012
I saw that last night, and even as an NFL draft fan, I immediately thought, who on earth wants to rewatch old drafts?! Although....Might be neat to see Sean Taylor picked again....:cry:

Louis Riddick said a few weeks ago that up until the morning of that draft the Skins were set on taking Kellen Winslow Jr. Thank the football god's for that last second change of heart!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad