OT: 2015 Redskins Part VII: Driving the NFC LEast Clowncar Into the Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The worst part about last night was the play calling. There didn't seem to be a hot read on nearly any of the blitzes. The Cowboys could muster zero offensively and we didn't take any chances to counter that.

I think the single worst thing is how gutless the play calling was after a turnover. The Cowboys get their turnover and go straight to a bomb to Dez. We get our turnovers (3, for the second week in a row) and put in two extra OL and rush for 1 yard. Up by a FG with the chance to put a stranglehold on the game and we piss away the opportunity.

I also don't give two ****s about the DeSean play. I acknowledge it was incredibly stupid and incredibly selfish and I don't know why it doesn't bother me, but it doesn't. That's probably because he showed a ton of passion and wanted to win that badly which was refreshing to see. The outlet for his frustration was obviously the wrong one but hey, Jay put him back there to try and make something happen and that's what he tried to do.

Also, Mason Foster. Dude came to play last night. Can't wait to see more of him.

Somehow, the Redskins still control their own destiny. Can they go into Chicago on a short week and right the ship or do they pull the Redskins special and let a deflating loss snowball into a lost season?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Saw this on another board and it pretty much confirms what I thought about the play calling: up until the 1:15 TD series, we had 21 first down attempts and ran on 15 of them for 42 yards, leaving an average of 7.2 yards to go on 2nd down. The Redskins ran 15 times on 1st down and 13 (!) went for 3 yards or less.

No creativity. No adjustments. Just keep throwing 2 extra OL out there and it'll work eventually, right?

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The conservative playcalling reeks of fear. It's like Gruden and Co. know they're playing with house money atop the division and just don't want to mess it up. Keep it close, don't get blown out, give yourself a chance at the end.

And I've criticized JG for lobbing players under the bus when IMO he's done exactly that, but after the punt bungle he's putting his arm around DJax and booping his nose:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...y-gruden-no-regrets-on-desean-jacksons-return

Sep 19, 2008
The playcalling was outrageously conservative and they didn't do ANYTHING the first half. As I said the first play set the tone for the game. Cousins drops back like 3 steps and immediately gets sacked. I felt he didn't drop back far enough, and from then on it was just difficult to get any offense at that point. They had one positive drive that whole half and it was near the end of the half to tie the game at 3-3. Otherwise stupid holding penalties kept them bottled up, and it's not easy to move the football when you have to make up a whole lot of yardage because of "holding".

One Dallas drive in particular had two dubious calls, the PI where the offensive player literally pushes the defenders down and there is "DPI" and the second one later on the same drive where Bryant and another defender are tangled up but the ball was uncatchable :laugh:

But most of the blame is on the team. Again, there was this blatant lack of hunger or determination to pound those guys into the ground. In fact, it seemed Dallas came out just as hungry to play spoiler. Dallas played great D and I kept hearing Sean Lee's name from the PA speaker after plays. I remember Dallas' first drive after the futility from the Redskins. Their running back fumbles the ball, and that place goes insane. But the Redskins couldn't do anything with the turnover! They didn't either after the 2 other fumbles either. You have to take advantage of fortuitous situations like that. If they are able to get 7 there it's a different game. The field goal game cost them.

They simply never were able to exert themselves or play with that kind of intensity. They got outcoached out there against record-wise the WORST team in the NFC, missing Tony Romo. It's inexplicable how they lost other than poor preparation, because they looked flat for much of the game. The Bears are good. That'll be a test and if this team has any heart they'd try to take advantage again and keep their hold on the NFC East. But after last night I am not confident anymore. Good teams maintain dominance over a period of time. Good teams are not inconsistent. This team is basically W-L-W-L and so on, with a small streak of L-L.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think Gruden is the kind of coach who sees a takeaway as a chunk of predetermined possession time he's gained. As in, each team is expected so many minutes of offense per game and if you steal some of that away you double your advantage by sitting on the ball.

You play that game against Brady, Manning, Rogers, etc. Not Matt ****ing Cassel.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I think Gruden is the kind of coach who sees a takeaway as a chunk of predetermined possession time he's gained. As in, each team is expected so many minutes of offense per game and if you steal some of that away you double your advantage by sitting on the ball.

You play that game against Brady, Manning, Rogers, etc. Not Matt ****ing Cassel.

That's a cowardly way to coach. If your offense goes three and out like we always do you're only taking away a minute or so of possession and you lose all momentum gained by said turnover.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Gruden bash day! Grab the lynching ropes!

The conservative play calling reeks of a guy who doesn't want to see his QB lose the game for them.

Given all the open receivers Cousins refused to throw to last night, it's easy to see why Gruden isn't being more aggressive. Cousins himself is being overly conservative with his decision making. I thought it was fairly obvious. Like Wethog, barring a losing streak, I see Gruden back next year.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
If we're going to keep the dink and dunk show with Cousins and Gruden next season (I think we should BTW), I was thinking that Forte would be a very good fit. He can still be a lead back but his hands would be a great safety valve for Cousins.

No idea what he'd cost, but he's very much looking like he has some productive years left. Morris/Jones clearly ain't working.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Why did it need to take that horrible punt return fumble before they decide to get the ball to Jackson?

Look I'm as pissed as any at his bad return but the combo of Cousins and Gruden left a lot more to be desired out on that field last night. The Redskins don't deserve to win a division playing like that. The team has no running game...so let's be in 3 and 8 everytime lol and never throw on first down.

Asside from cutting Suh one good time has the rookie Schreff done anything? He's the #1 candidate I will look for to be improved next year. ATM he's not looking like a third rounder.

Sep 19, 2008
Gruden bash day! Grab the lynching ropes!

The conservative play calling reeks of a guy who doesn't want to see his QB lose the game for them.

Given all the open receivers Cousins refused to throw to last night, it's easy to see why Gruden isn't being more aggressive. Cousins himself is being overly conservative with his decision making. I thought it was fairly obvious. Like Wethog, barring a losing streak, I see Gruden back next year.
Because they're not going to medium or intermediate routes

They kept trying to run it for a yard

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I needed a day or two to get over the bitter disappointment and utter frustration that overwhelms me when the Skins lose to DAL. Now that its over my one observation from Monday night of note is that Cousins development/progress has stalled, IMO. He played not to lose and/or not to make a costly INT/mistake. It wasn't conservative play calling from Gruden, it was afraid to fail Cousins.

Cooley has said similar after previous games, and he said the same after Monday's game. The chances for big plays are there, the plays are being called, but Cousins isn't pulling the trigger early in games.

Cousins needs to get it in his head that he needs to play like he did at the DAL game for an entire game. Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead. Until he does that he will never reach his full potential.

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I needed a day or two to get over the bitter disappointment and utter frustration that overwhelms me when the Skins lose to DAL. Now that its over my one observation from Monday night of note is that Cousins development/progress has stalled, IMO. He played not to lose and/or not to make a costly INT/mistake. It wasn't conservative play calling from Gruden, it was afraid to fail Cousins.

Cooley has said similar after previous games, and he said the same after Monday's game. The chances for big plays are there, the plays are being called, but Cousins isn't pulling the trigger early in games.

Cousins needs to get it in his head that he needs to play like he did at the DAL game for an entire game. Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead. Until he does that he will never reach his full potential.

Did you see this?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Did you see this?

Didn't read the whole thing but looked at several of the examples, and two things stand out to me.

One is that it is usually bad to just huck the ball deep when you have blitzers immediately in your face. When Cousins did that early he probably got lucky in the play resulting in an incompletion. Later in the game teams will pretend to run the same play and drop help into coverage, in which case you're throwing dead.

Two is that just because a guy is behind the safety or corner on a deep route doesn't mean the STRATEGY of the playcall includes that receiver as an option. A lot of plays have combinations of deep, intermediate and short routes. The QB is not always looking to hit the deep guy as soon as he comes open, especially if a blitz gives him no time to make a GOOD read (usually shorter dumps unless you're really sure you've got a shot). Bottom line here is it's just as likely the gameplan was to limit the deep shots and go through normal progressions (which may or may not start short or long) whenever possible.

So yeah, maybe some was KC and maybe some was JG. We won't know until unless someone tells us.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Did you see this?

I didn't. I will read it when I get home.

My previous comment was based more on what I saw from Cousins demeanor wise prior to the last drive than what he actually did. Prior to the last drive he looked tight, tentative. Not sure of himself. Then the last drive I saw a completely different demeanor. Loose and focused on driving the team down the field. I also could be imagining things.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
This is a QB who is still on shaky ground as a starter. I'm not surprised at all that he's a little timid out there. He throws Int's and they lose, that's almost a lock. He throws INTs and he's getting killed in the press. I'm not surprised they called a gameplan to shelter him, but even so he flat out refused to go mid-deep route guys who were open. Cousins needs a little more killer instinct right now.

Sep 19, 2008
Could possibly win on the road tomorrow seeing as we have a strong history playing at Chicago and Chicago is bad at home.

It's probably going to be close though...Bears are very competitive this year and there are no indications that Cutler won't play. So hopefully Redskins can sneak out a close win. Basically must win this game or else I'm tapping out. I don't trust Philly or NYG or Dallas to keep losing, so we shouldn't have to worry about what they do. Get your house in order, and play hard out there tomorrow. Get that win. You can't win the division if you're not hungry enough.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Hope someone makes a .gif of Gruden pulling an OV on the side lines hitting the smelling salts. Funny stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad