Proposal: 2015 Offseason Trade Rumours & Proposals | Part VIII - Electric Trade-aloo

Status
Not open for further replies.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
No way he gets to F/A ,TB wont lose him for nothing .To aquire him we would have to do it by trade ,and that would mean moving out players to make room for his cap .And also where he would slot in our lineup

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
Wouldn't want to trade him, but he's pretty expendable. Guys like Lazar or Paul could anchor the third line easily, if not this year, next for sure. If Pageau is the extra piece that gets us a top 4 D you make that trade 100%

You need role players though,many Pageau can play his role very well and provide great value for the next two years, and still be an RFA. Lazar and Paul are more likely to breakout and have higher contract demands than Pageau IMO.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Pageau will be valuable as a shutdown center, faceoffer and PKer in the playoffs. He's a keeper.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
i could see other teams interested in pageau and that's what in my mind,he could be a trading chip.

and TBH if he can translate some of his play from junior offensively he could quarter back our second PP.

In junior he could move the puck really well, in chicoutimy or whatever you'd see him play really high in the offensive zone on the PP being the guy the puck is always moving through.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
I could see Ottawa going after Stamkos and Stamkos coming to Ottawa.

Karlsson feeding Stamkos means he's a 60 goal guy again.

I could see every team in the league going after Stamkos and him going wherever the hell he wants. There's ZERO reason to believe Ottawa would have a better shot of luring him to the Sens than any of the other 29 teams who would be interested in him. There's only hope and blind optimism.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Sometimes I question your sanity

Why in the world would Stamkos want to play for the Senators?

The only logical theory i have is that he'd want to be near toronto but at the same time he'd want to be in the playoffs competing. I think there's basically no chance he comes though

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I don't expect this team to be much better than a bubble team for the next two years

It's possible but the idea that we should expect to make the playoffs seem off base to me

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I don't expect this team to be much better than a bubble team for the next two years

It's possible but the idea that we should expect to make the playoffs seem off base to me

I kinda agree. I think this team should make medium or long term moves. No rentals like Hamhuis for a 1st. We arent a near guaranteed playoff team that makes the 2nd round or conference finals every year. I do however think things could change fast and i would have to revise my opinion that were a buddle team. What happens if the sens trade prospects for a top pairing left d? I would expect to make the playoffs. What if Cowen becomes a dominant dman and Wideman scores 40 points? I think we shuld expect to make the playoffs

Right now i think this is a bubble team but its such a fluid situation with so many unpredictable young players and the possibility of acquiring a stud dman

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Stamkos :laugh:

No thanks anyways, unless Bobby Ryan is moved.

Either way, it sort of goes completely against what we're trying to build here, and I'd rather stay the course for now.

If Lazar and White turn into real legit players, which I believe both can, then adding a Stamkos becomes more of a burden then a blessing.

Add in Prince, Puempel, Paul and Lindberg and we've got a lot of promising guys that could need to be paid eventually.

We are entering into an age of 4 scoring lines. The new NHL promotes a much more balanced scoring attack, as opposed to loading up one line and hoping to overpower opponents.

Defensive systems are just too good, and you need a balanced scoring attack to consistently put pucks in the net.

Bottom line is that I'd rather have his salary distributed throughout the lineup. We're going to need all the money we can spare if the kids keep developing at thus rate.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
In my opinion this is the last season we're going to be considered a bubble team. After this season we will cut bait with the dead weight, make another Bobby Ryan-type move and we'll be a perrenial playoff team foir the next 10 years (only issue that could arise here is if Hammond, MOC and Hogberg all bust and we have nothing left after Andy retires).

I'll agree for this season though, as we still ahve lots of question marks (will Stone and Hoffman play as well next season, can one/both of Wiercioch and Cowen take a big step forward, ect).

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
In my opinion this is the last season we're going to be considered a bubble team. After this season we will cut bait with the dead weight, make another Bobby Ryan-type move and we'll be a perrenial playoff team foir the next 10 years (only issue that could arise here is if Hammond, MOC and Hogberg all bust and we have nothing left after Andy retires).

I'll agree for this season though, as we still ahve lots of question marks (will Stone and Hoffman play as well next season, can one/both of Wiercioch and Cowen take a big step forward, ect).

I don't see why we HAVE to make a big trade to move up in the standings.

It would be one path to do it, but not only path in my opinion.

If Stone, Zibanejad and Hoffman continue to do the same, or get better (likely), we're in real good shape.

If any one or two of Lazar, White, Prince, Puempel, Paul, Gagne or Lindberg end up turning into good or great players, we're in excellent shape.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I don't see why we HAVE to make a big trade to move up in the standings.

It would be one path to do it, but not only path in my opinion.

If Stone, Zibanejad and Hoffman continue to do the same, or get better (likely), we're in real good shape.

If any one or two of Lazar, White, Prince, Puempel, Paul, Gagne or Lindberg end up turning into good or great players, we're in excellent shape.

When I said Bobby Ryan type trade I meant a quantity for quality move, not necessarilly a move for another forward. Honestly, I think it will be a trade for an Edler/Hamhuis type of guy once Cowen and Wiercioch fail in a top-four role. That said, Hoffman could easily fall back down to earth next year (not fail completely, but maybe drop back down closer to 20 goals than 30).

It will be more about moving out a handful of decent players in exchange for an upgrade, as we're already having trouble fitting all our players in, it will only get worse as our good young prospects continue to push for NHL spots.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Who is your quality in this quantity for quality trade you speak ok?

Who is jammed up against the cap with a player that fits our needs that is looking for young players with potential for cap relief?

Everybody knew Ryan was not staying in Anaheim, who else is in similar situation?

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata

Who is jammed up against the cap with a player that fits our needs that is looking for young players with potential for cap relief?

Everybody knew Ryan was not staying in Anaheim, who else is in similar situation?

Sharp, Kessel, Saad, Hamilton, Oshie, O'Reilly, Lucic were all traded this summer. These opportunities are available every year. Now I wouldn't be interested in all of those players but the option to go quantity for quality is certainly out there nearly every offseason.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013

Maybe not now, but Eberle could end up being in the same situation in a couple of years.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Sharp, Kessel, Saad, Hamilton, Oshie, O'Reilly, Lucic were all traded this summer. These opportunities are available every year. Now I wouldn't be interested in all of those players but the option to go quantity for quality is certainly out there nearly every offseason.

I think Anaheim and Tampa are the next to fall to this with all the big contracts they'll enevitably be dishing out soon. Gonna be some quality out there whenever there's a cap. Yandle will be hitting the market soon as well.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Lol @ all this bubble talk. Next year I expect Ottawa to make playoffs and make 2nd round.

The summer after this one I expect Ottawa to made 2-3 drastic moves and become serious contenders from here on out. Karlsson will be 27, we ain't gonna be wasting his years lol, Murray and co are aware of that.

The only logical theory i have is that he'd want to be near toronto but at the same time he'd want to be in the playoffs competing. I think there's basically no chance he comes though

Exactly this. Plus Ottawa will be hitting contending status soon next off-season and looking to cash in one more big piece from becoming a legit threat for years to come.

The Jangle Meister*

Ottawa is a bubble team without any roster improvements made

zero chance Stamkos comes to Ottawa

"oh we just use our magical fairy dust and make moves next season"

its pretty obvious we have tried to make moves this off season and it has not worked out, whos to say we can make the big moves next season let alone to two or three we need to contend. I love the optimism, but hate it at the same time.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Ottawa made playoffs last year with youngest core and no Methot for half a season while Karlsson still tryna find his game again and Ryan not playing his best and whole coach dispute first half.

What is this stupid fascination with trying to improve the team with external pieces?

Watch this video:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/can-the-sens-improve-on-last-season~662865

Ottawa should be able to improve from within and thus continue on their trend, not remain a bubble team, the team isn't full of veterans it's young budding players.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Ottawa made playoffs last year with youngest core and no Methot for half a season while Karlsson still tryna find his game again and Ryan not playing his best and whole coach dispute first half.

What is this stupid fascination with trying to improve the team with external pieces?

Watch this video:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/can-the-sens-improve-on-last-season~662865

Ottawa should be able to improve from within and thus continue on their trend, not remain a bubble team, the team isn't full of veterans it's young budding players.

Like it or not, the Sens are going to have to bring in external pieces when they are in fact ready to compete for the cup.

The last cup winners all brought in external pieces to help them win. So will the Sens if they ever want to think about touching the cup.

You draft your core players, then you bring in other players via trade or signing a free agent to help fill the holes. The last couple of cup winners have done it. The Sens will most likely have to do it too in order to win it all.

This is all just my opinion of course.

Last edited:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
There's no need to make any big moves right now. We're still going through the tail end of a rebuild and figuring out what we have in our system. Ceci, Cowen, Hammond, Zibanejad, Hoffman, Wiercioch, Puempel, Prince, Lazar are still question marks as to what they can be. And there's a whack of other prospects who are promising as well but have a longer eta or are much younger.

As the team develops and get closer to looking like a strong contender, we're going to be looking for an upgrade somewhere on the roster. We have depth everywhere and could fill all the holes internally but that's an outside shot and we might want to hit our stride at the right time before we have cap issues and other teams find their way out of the basement within our division. That depth will allow us to make another quantity for quality trade, we can't have everyone on the roster if they all develop optimally. Sometime in the next two years, we're making a big move as a way to use our assets in an intelligent way and put us over the top. That could come in the form of a player to round out the top 4 or as a top line forward who can really drive the offense and produce on the PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad