Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
My guess on some potential trade options:

Anderson + Legwand for 16th Overall Pick
OR
Lehner + Legwand for 33rd Overall Pick

Greening, Ottawa 1st in 2016, Prince for Bickell and Sharp.

Michalek for a 3rd Rd Pick.

MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Sharp-Zibanejad-Ryan
Hoffman-Pageau-Lazar
Bickell-Smith-Chiasson

Think about the crying that happened about the 1st we traded for Ryan that ended up being 10th overall. Now imagine this but he's 34 and not as good.

Extremely risky trade.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
He covers the Sens for Le Droit.

Well count me in as excited.

When are we allowed to start wheeling and dealing? After the Cup Finals?

Attaching Greening to the deal is a good idea.. but it better not be at the expense of getting a better return. Which is what I figure would be the case.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Murray told the reporter he will not buy out Greening or legwand and wants to attach them to Anderson or Lehner in a trade. 6-7 teams are interested.

I think thats what its says. I havent spoken french in years.

Legwand is not a boat anchor. He has one year on his contract and hes an ok bottom 6 center. Ottawa just has no need for him or his salary

Thank you!

Boat anchor is exaggerating, but I still don't think he brings any value to a package and Anderson is not enough to get 15th OA imo. Greening, now that's an anchor.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013

Attaching Greening to the deal is a good idea.. but it better not be at the expense of getting a better return. Which is what I figure would be the case.

Teams out of the playoffs can trade with other teams out of the playoffs at any time.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
We aren't going to get much in return if we insist on sneaking Greening into a deal involving one of our goalies. Legwand we could probably include in a deal to a team like the Sabres or Oilers with minimal negative impact on the return coming back. With only 1 year left at 3M (3.5M salary) it's not really much of a burden to take on for a team with cap space.

It's infuriating that the Sens might have to sacrifice assets just to get rid of a 2.65M contract with only two years left, while a team like the Leafs doesn't think twice about spending 25M just to get rid of Clarkson's contract. Melnyk needs to just bite the bullet and buyout Greening.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Thank you!

Boat anchor is exaggerating, but I still don't think he brings any value to a package and Anderson is not enough to get 15th OA imo. Greening, now that's an anchor.

Well Greening can skate better than Legwand and is probably better suited for 4th line duty than Legwand. Legwand on the other hand has a significantly higher hockey IQ.

Problem is neither of then brings anything to the table that the Senators don't already have that isn't younger, cheaper and better at this point.

Let's hope someone wants a goaltender bad enough to take both of them, major problem would be solved even if nothing came back.

Last edited:

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com

I believe the idea is attaching someone like Greening to one of the goalies and essentially giving the package away.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
So basically giving away a goalie for free to get rid of Greening lol.

Anderson + Greening to Edmonton for future considerations.

Sens Management FTFW

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa

Sens Management FTFW

Except that isn't what is going to happen. There's quite a few teams that could absorb one of those contracts. Murray will pull the trigger that has the best value coming back, as well as the team being willing to take one of Legwand or Greening.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Except that isn't what is going to happen. There's quite a few teams that could absorb one of those contracts. Murray will pull the trigger that has the best value coming back, as well as the team being willing to take one of Legwand or Greening.

Think about it if no one is willing to take one of these guys for free. Greening will definitely hurt our return. Fans have a right to be pissed since Greening essentially got this contract because of scoring 3 goals in one playoff series.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
smh Greening is going to bring down any value that we get from Andy

If BM is planning to add a player he doesn't want to a trade, then of course the return is going to be less.

Currently the team has 3 goalies, 8 D, and 16 forwards (incl. Condra & Puempel), just way too many.

Of course Wideman and Prince should also be part of the total IMO so that makes 29 in total.

So if I assume BM will be willing to carry two extra D and an extra forward that would suggest 1 goalie, 1 Dman and 5 forwards would have to go to get to the 23 man limit.

Therefore IMO worrying about return isn't really an big issue because I would think BM would likely prefer a draft pick or 2 for Lehner/Andy + Legwand/Greening deal.

That still leaves BM with a fairly difficult task to get to 23 IMO.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Contracts like Legwand and Greening get thrown into trades regularly. Its standard and not something that lowers value.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Man I just hope when NHL16 comes out Colin Greening won't be here, its so annoying adjusting my lines with him.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Man I just hope when NHL16 comes out Colin Greening won't be here, its so annoying adjusting my lines with him.

That games lineups can be such a joke sometimes. No Pageau or Boro in the starting lineup atm.

The more I think about it, maybe it won't be such a detriment to the package value if there's multiple teams wanting one of our goalies. If there hadn't been any interest in our goalies and we were the ones trying to give one away, then it would be a tough sell.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Think about it if no one is willing to take one of these guys for free. Greening will definitely hurt our return. Fans have a right to be pissed since Greening essentially got this contract because of scoring 3 goals in one playoff series.

Why do fans have a right to be pissed?

Greening scored 35 goals (reg. season & Playoffs) in less than two full seasons, so signing him to an extension before UFA made sense and the $2.6M avg isn't out of line considering all the factors.

Unfortunately he tanked, but in life sometimes bad sh$$ happens.

However the Senators overall problem, while being difficult to solve, is really a good story.

The youth is forcing the vets out, which IMO is great news.

Fact is Greening, Legwand, Neil, and Phillips just don't fit on this team, so its finding a way to move them that solves the problem that is key now.

Maybe I am alone in this thinking, but I don't believe any goaltender is going to bring a great return, so if BM can rid himself of Legwand or Greening in a package with a goalie for a 2nd round pick in 2015, he should do it IMO.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
We aren't going to get much in return if we insist on sneaking Greening into a deal involving one of our goalies. Legwand we could probably include in a deal to a team like the Sabres or Oilers with minimal negative impact on the return coming back. With only 1 year left at 3M (3.5M salary) it's not really much of a burden to take on for a team with cap space.

It's infuriating that the Sens might have to sacrifice assets just to get rid of a 2.65M contract with only two years left, while a team like the Leafs doesn't think twice about spending 25M just to get rid of Clarkson's contract. Melnyk needs to just bite the bullet and buyout Greening.

If a rebuilding team with cap space sees Lehner as a goalie of the future, taking on Greening's contract won't matter. It is something they can do that costs them nothing and puts them ahead of other teams competing for Lehner. Ultimately, if Tim Murray wants Lehner, because there are other treams who want Lehner, he is not going to offer less if he has to take Greening. A bad two year deal means nothing to the Sabres.Same goes for any team not on a budget who have the cap space over the next two years.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Greening scored one goal in 26 games for one point. He clearly peaked closer to 25 which is normal for guys like him.

24-25-26 has been shown to be the peak years in the NHL for forward

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

Sens Management FTFW

Hyperbole.

Smart move by Murray. Most teams calling for Lehner will be rebuilders or middle of the pack teams with excess cap space. All he needs is for two of those teams to want Lehner, and he can get the same return he would have already gotten while also shedding a bad contract.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Greening scored one goal in 26 games for one point. He clearly peaked closer to 25 which is normal for guys like him.

24-25-26 has been shown to be the peak years in the NHL for forward

He's going to get traded and turn into a 25 goal first line power forward and we'll all then spend years posting about how bad Ottawa's management was to have given away a first line power forward for free because we all were against the trade when it happened and not totally in favor of it......

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Contracts like Legwand and Greening get thrown into trades regularly. Its standard and not something that lowers value.

As the cap tightens on many teams it is getting harder and harder to bounce contracts.

To think it doesn't effect the return is really a stretch IMO, no GM gives or takes without giving or taking.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Hyperbole.

Smart move by Murray. Most teams calling for Lehner will be rebuilders or middle of the pack teams with excess cap space. All he needs is for two of those teams to want Lehner, and he can get the same return he would have already gotten while also shedding a bad contract.

Possibly, but that assumes there are no other goaltenders on the market and there will be.

So the question really comes down to whether a GM wants Lehner or Anderson to the extent they are willing to pay Greening $6M over two years or Legwand for a year at $3M.

I could be wrong but I doubt many GMs would be willing to suck up millions out of the goodness of their hearts, it has to factor in the return somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad