Salary Cap: 2015 offseason roster-building II | FA charts in Post #1 | Panarin is out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
But it's not really even that much of hindsight. These were decisions that were pretty popular at the time as well. Management just ****ed it up.

I mean outside of Forsberg (I think he was the Pouliot-area pick right?) and Saad, I think there are some that are ok, like Jordan Staal vs Toews, who knows how Staal would have developed in that same environment.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
You people need to lighten up. Sheesh.

And that's coming from ME.

I promise I'm not actually depressed. It's aight.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I mean outside of Forsberg (I think he was the Pouliot-area pick right?) and Saad, I think there are some that are ok, like Jordan Staal vs Toews, who knows how Staal would have developed in that same environment.

Well Saad and Forsberg are a pretty big haul for a top-6 completely lacking in young talented forwards. They would have been perfectly reasonable draft picks at the time, and ones many here wanted.

The Letang trade stuff is rumor obviously, but that's why this whole thing is fantasy talk anyway.

Either way the "what could have been" factor with this team is pretty high, and I understand why people feel nostalgic right now and want to play that game considering how much management has screwed up a potentially great chance at multiple cups. Instead a team like Chicago, managed how we should have been managed, is looking for a 3rd Cup while we sit and relive this ****.

Clatartar

Dec 28, 2014
Anybody up for giving Shero his contracts back?
I'd love to have Cammy and say a resigned Tootoo (650k?) for Kunitz, Spaling and Scuderi.
Cammy can play with Sid and Toots slides into the 4th rw with Lappiere and Wilson/Rust. He's also proven that he can slide up in a pinch when Horny eventually gets injured.
Cammy-Sid-Horny
Perron-Malkin-KK
Sundqvist-Sutter-Beau
Wilson/Rust-Lappiere-Tootoo
Wilson/Rust/Cheap Scrub

Maatta-Letang
Pouliot-Sekera/Petry
Dumolin-Cole
Chorney

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I'd love to have Cammy and say a resigned Tootoo (650k?) for Kunitz, Spaling and Scuderi.
Cammy can play with Sid and Toots slides into the 4th rw with Lappiere and Wilson/Rust. He's also proven that he can slide up in a pinch when Horny eventually gets injured.
Cammy-Sid-Horny
Perron-Malkin-KK
Sundqvist-Sutter-Beau
Wilson/Rust/Cheap Scrub

Maatta-Letang
Pouliot-Sekera/Petry
Dumolin-Cole
Chorney

Yeah, that would be ideal but would go against everything Shero said he wanted to do in terms of add offense to the Devils :laugh: wasn't Cammalleri their best forward?

I would keep Spaling if possible, but would love to add Cammalleri and Tootoo.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Well Saad and Forsberg are a pretty big haul for a top-6 completely lacking in young talented forwards. They would have been perfectly reasonable draft picks at the time, and ones many here wanted.

The Letang trade stuff is rumor obviously, but that's why this whole thing is fantasy talk anyway.

Either way the "what could have been" factor with this team is pretty high, and I understand why people feel nostalgic right now and want to play that game considering how much management has screwed up a potentially great chance at multiple cups. Instead a team like Chicago, managed how we should have been managed, is looking for a 3rd Cup while we sit and relive this ****.

I just think the Pens wouldn't have given them the development guidance they would have needed to be better players. Forsberg is an immense talent that was nutured by Dean with the Preds, I mean imagine if the Caps didn't move him, who knows what he could have ended up being in the end, all I am saying is that I have very little faith with our entire development structure, not a slight to Hynes, I think he's a terrific coach that does his best with the hand he's dealt and he does a magnificent job at keeping that squad competitive every year, but the team has given him very little up until this year by the way of actual young offensive talent.

Hynes, after losing Game 1 in Round 2 is probably still giddy with the toys he has at his dispense. Oh we lost, let me see which young solid player I can throw in like Rust? Sundqvist? Etc.

It's just tiring though, you can basically go back to every year outside of the major franchise altering HHOF guys, where you wish they took someone else.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I honestly think it's time to give the kids a try and I hope that's how management is seeing things and are closely watching Kapanen and Sundqvist in the AHL, same with Rust and Wilson.

I think next year is where 3 of the 4 can start on the opening night roster. The UFA pool is tragic at best, RFA pool is interesting though and the Pens can make a move there. This team needs to subtract, add from within and roll with that.

Yep. A lot of the stuff in the previous few posts is over the top fantasyland type stuff, but the Saad and Forsberg picks were very much realities.

There are a lot of realities that we can discuss. A lot of them. But what's the point?

What if the fired Bylsma after that blow up with the Flyers? How much would this team be changed with the new coach, blah blah...

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah, that would be ideal but would go against everything Shero said he wanted to do in terms of add offense to the Devils :laugh: wasn't Cammalleri their best forward?

I would keep Spaling if possible, but would love to add Cammalleri and Tootoo.

Remember when we thought it was bad that Tarnstrom led the Pens with 50pts?

43pts made you the Devils leader.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
What's the point in talking about anything then?

It's a hockey forum. Things are going to be discussed, especially things that this team has egregiously ****ed up.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't get the argument that we would have f'd up Forsberg's development, therefore we shouldn't complain that he wasn't drafted. If you really believe that, then why draft a forward ever?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
My goal right now if I am JR and the 50 people that tell him what to do, is to try to get picks from trading Kunitz and Scuderi, even if we get a couple of 3rd rounders or even a 5th for Scuderi and a 2nd or 3rd for Kunitz (I think we could get a little more than that for Kunitz), I would do it asap.

I wish we heard more about this team adding people to their scouting staff.

I was skeptical about Bales but he turned out alright with the results with MAF and I think he's been helping WBS too.

Which teams have RFA's that they might not be able to keep cap wise?

What's the point in talking about anything then?

It's a hockey forum. Things are going to be discussed, especially things that this team has egregiously ****ed up.

To the point where it's just repetitive and negative? Yeah, very conducive to great conversations, like that wonderful Despres thread where we all unanimously agree it's a terrible trade, even JR thinks so and he was basically forced to make that move it seems.

Crap happened, let's move on.

Or hey, let's talk about how Iginla was used as a LW.

Or you know what, I am mad about the Naslund trade, let's discuss that...I mean what the hell right?

As my friend would say "You're stuck, unstuck yourself."

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't get the argument that we would have f'd up Forsberg's development, therefore we shouldn't complain that he wasn't drafted. If you really believe that, then why draft a forward ever?

Feeling bad about missing out on him in that draft is just asinine, if anyone should be mad it's the Capitals fans. Not us.

And yes, the Predators let the guy come to North America, play in the AHL and get the guidance he needed at the time, to be a more complete player, not that he wouldn't have gotten there eventually, but the Preds have had more success with developing their own players.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Unstuck yourself from reading those posts then. :laugh: Or caring about people talking about them.

It's May. Our team just got booted from the playoffs for the 6th season in a row earlier than it should have because of an endless string of incompetent, stubborn, arrogant, and spiteful decisions. People are going to *****, and there's not much else to talk about.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Cammy-Sid-Horny
Perron-Malkin-KK
Sundqvist-Sutter-Beau
Wilson/Rust/Cheap Scrub

Maatta-Letang
Pouliot-Sekera/Petry
Dumolin-Cole
Chorney

I wonder if the cap not going up much will change the prices defensemen have been getting. Because if Orpik can get 5.5m/yr, Sekera has a great case to get Niskanen money and Petry can probably command and get 4.5-5m.

That's a high price and I am not a fan of the Pens signing either for more than 3yrs.

Neither are physical and are more of the Martin type of Defensive style, I thought people were all gung-ho about McQuaid?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Unstuck yourself from reading those posts then. :laugh: Or caring about people talking about them.

It's May. Our team just got booted from the playoffs for the 6th season in a row earlier than it should have because of an endless string of incompetent, stubborn, arrogant, and spiteful decisions. People are going to *****, and there's not much else to talk about.

Yeah because it's not just in one thread here or anything...

It has consumed our board, you know that right? There's no escaping that talk or the Despres stuff.

It makes me miss the crazy conspiracy stuff about Morehouse more.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I mean, no **** it's permeated the entire board. This team's been a ****show for several years despite having some of the best high-end talent in the world on it. There's not a whole lot to be positive about anymore.

You just need to accept that this is the way the board's gonna be until things are turned around. /shrug People are unhappy. People are gonna discuss/whine/*****/whatever about all of the wrongdoings this team does.

Not much else to talk about, sadly.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The team has ruthlessly ham-fisted things up to the point where we aren't even sure about the playoffs, anymore. And most of this stuff people were fretting about catching up to them years ago. At least on this board.

So yeah... people are gonna *****. It's unfortunate... but the reason it's talked about so much is because that's the biggest topic of conversation surrounding this team -- "what they **** are they thinking?"

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Sobotka will not be available for trade unless someone is willing to significantly overpay.

BS. Everyone says that about everyone. It will not take a significant overpayment.

Fixed 3rd and 4th line RW's for you.:laugh:

We could have just rolled:

Maatta-Despres
Morrow-Pouliot
Harrington-Dumoulin

The $6 million dollar defense. $57 mil offense. :laugh:

Yeah when you look back at the young dmen we've had and lost and the state of the defense now...it's actually impressive how much we've simply pissed away.

Having one of Morrow or Despres back would really help us. I know Morrow hasn't been a #1 for Boston obviously, but I think he could have developed into a good dman here. He had the mobility and the shot.

I'm quite honestly lost on exactly what to do. Here's what I do believe though...the other teams better than us will get better. We will be lucky to not get worse. I believe we will be slowly going the way of the Sharks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad