Salary Cap: 2015 Off-season Roster Building V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Versteeg is a tweener and I don't want to pay the price it would cost to acquire Sharp. Ideally we need a Hornqvist type for Geno.

I dunno. The real thing was quite the disaster, haha.

I think Geno needs a sniper and a big burly type with some skill to create space. I love Horny's hustle and net-front mentality, but his north/south mentality didn't click.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I dunno. The real thing was quite the disaster, haha.

I think Geno needs a sniper and a big burly type with some skill to create space. I love Horny's hustle and net-front mentality, but his north/south mentality didn't click.

I meant more someone who did the grunt work. I'd like to try Big Body - Malkin - Bennett or if they hate Bennett as much as it would appear then Perron - Malkin - Big Body.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I think Jim Devallano just had a senior moment wrt Mantha. I can't believe the Wings are actually upset enough about him not instantly dominating the AHL to trade him over it.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I know that how Bennett's career has gone so far is not his fault in a lot of ways. Especially regarding the non-stop injuries. But seeing Bennett being penciled in next to Malkin to start he season makes me vomit in my mouth a little.

I really want to like the guy... but he's kinda getting to the point where he should be relied upon for very, very, very little. Certainly not being the big offensive wing on the second line.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I know that how Bennett's career has gone so far is not his fault in a lot of ways. Especially regarding the non-stop injuries. But seeing Bennett being penciled in next to Malkin to start he season makes me vomit in my mouth a little.

I really want to like the guy... but he's kinda getting to the point where he should be relied upon for very, very, very little. Certainly not being the big offensive wing on the second line.

No, but he's got little value so we may as well workout if he has a top 6 future rather than waste him on the 3rd or 4th line.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
No, but he's got little value so we may as well workout if he has a top 6 future rather than waste him on the 3rd or 4th line.

I hear ya, there. He has little to no use as trade bait so they might as well try to make him serviceable, I guess. He and Malkin have had brief flashes of chemistry in the past. I don't think starting out the year with him as a huge part of the offensive equation on the second line is smart at all, though. In the likely event that he can't hack it... what then?

I feel like he's probably thrown in as part of a deal this Summer, though. So I doubt it matters.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Hawks can get rid of Sharp/Bickell for a decent return, then sign Plotkinov and Tikhonov and still not look that bad with Panarin replacing Sharp.

They will get some desperate team to give them young assets and picks for both of them. Lol, Harrington, Kapanen, and Sundqvist for both of them. :laugh:

they'll be fine because they know what a role player is and what a star is, and they are perfectly fine with getting rid of the former when it's time.

More importantly, they are willing to part with players. They don't get involved in the "we are family" ********. If they were Pittsburgh, they would have shipped Kunitz and Dupuis long ago, same with Orpik or Martin last year, and then never ever traded a guy like Despres. They are smart with their moves. We are not.

Asset management is this organizations Achilles heel that is holding us back and led us down this path. We haven't hit rock bottom yet...but we are about to. If think we are going to go the way of the Capitals the next couple years. Once a powerhouse, then declines, then rebuild/retool and come back through the ranks.

I think Jim Devallano just had a senior moment wrt Mantha. I can't believe the Wings are actually upset enough about him not instantly dominating the AHL to trade him over it.

Let's hope not. Mantha would be a good asset to have...wonder if there is anyone we can swap him with...Bennett?

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA

And this is the kind of thought process that has ruined the Pens development.

You need to find out if he's a viable option or not and you don't do it on the third or fourth line. You give him the shot and see where he is.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I mean... more power to people if they want to put a guy in double knee braces, a half-wrecked body and a longshot project to begin with in the position of being a really, really big part of the offensive equation to start the season out. But I'd actually like to maybe see Malkin play well again, someday. I mean... when he isn't on IR. And honestly I don't think that kind of expectation is fair to Bennett, anyway.

You can work him into that position as the year goes along without handing him the spot to start the year. I agree wholeheartedly with your general premise but I don't think this is a great instance to illustrate it. I sincerely hope Bennett finds his way. I'm just saying that the chances are looking less and less likely.

And again... I highly suspect he's gone, anyway.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
At this point I'd be ecstatic with grabbing one of Stewart/Stafford/Frolik, dealing Sutter/Scuderi/Kunitz for best return, sign Soderberg, call it a day.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Even though the prospects for a scoring wing look dire this year, one thing that gives me hope is that if both Maatta and Letang can come back relatively healthy and Pouliot keeps developing on his current trajectory, we could part with one of them for a scoring wing next summer.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'm still on the Frolik train.

Come on Winnipeg, I bought a Jets mini zamboni back in 1995, you owe me.

Yep. I don't understand why so many on here are hesitant to pay him like a 2nd line player. He's produced like one the last couple seasons. Is useful when he's not scoring. And has been on a Cup winner. High draft pick pedigree. Same age as our core.

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
At this point I'd be ecstatic with grabbing one of Stewart/Stafford/Frolik, dealing Sutter/Scuderi/Kunitz for best return, sign Soderberg, call it a day.

Being that Stafford and Crosby played together when they were kids I could see him coming to Pittsburgh in the offseason. Wouldn't be the worst thing. On a good line he is a 45-50 point winger (probably)

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Also the analyst.said dupuis will slot into the top.six solutions if he is healthy... lol buckle up baby!

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis is a possibility for next year.

Dupuis-Crosby-Hornqvist, Kunitz-Malkin-Perron is too.

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Perron-Malkin-Hornqvist

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Dupuis

All JUST AS realistic as trading for or signing any Top 6 wings. I am mentally preparing myself for:

Dupuis-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Comeau
Perron-Sutter-Spaling/Bennett

penguins2946*

There is almost 0 chance KCD exists next year, and there is 0 chance Perron isn't in our top-6 next year. Do people actually believe the overreactionary stuff like that? Why would Perron be a 3rd liner here next year when even while struggling mightily, he wasn't taken out of the top-6 this year? Why would KCD exist next year when it didn't exist for more than 2 games this year when it easily could have existed for like 15? People just like to ***** and moan I guess.

Realistically, worst case situation for next year is KCH and PMC. Is that good? No, but it's better than KCD.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Yep. I don't understand why so many on here are hesitant to pay him like a 2nd line player. He's produced like one the last couple seasons. Is useful when he's not scoring. And has been on a Cup winner. High draft pick pedigree. Same age as our core.

Just like Sharp, Bickell, and Versteeg, for the amount they will get and their term, once they stop scoring, their contracts will looks reeeeeeeeeeally bad.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
there really is no reason at all to think Sid and Hornqvist will be split up. They wanted them together to start last year enough to split Dupuis from Sid. Eventually Hornqvist moved with Geno, and it didn't work so Horny went back with Sid. He's going to stay there.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
There is almost 0 chance KCD exists next year, and there is 0 chance Perron isn't in our top-6 next year. Do people actually believe the overreactionary stuff like that? Why would Perron be a 3rd liner here next year when even while struggling mightily, he wasn't taken out of the top-6 this year? Why would KCD exist next year when it didn't exist for more than 2 games this year when it easily could have existed for like 15? People just like to ***** and moan I guess.

Realistically, worst case situation for next year is KCH and PMC. Is that good? No, but it's better than KCD.

Why would KCD exist when you bring in HOF RW Jarome Iginla...

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
So many of the solutions being offered in this thread really, in my opinion, fail to account for the biggest issue here - the Pens only have two forwards capable of dictating the flow of the game. After that, they have Hornqvist - who can be "the difference" in a hockey game (moreso than Neal, for the record). That's it.

Look at the Hawks. Toews, Kane, and Saad are all capable of winning a hockey game for their team. The real difference-maker in last night's game was Marian Hossa - he scored the game-winning goal, yes. But, his biggest play was drawing the game-winning penalty.

Who can the Pens add that can make a difference like that?

EDIT: I do think Perron can be a difference-maker again here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad