2015 NHL Re-Draft #15

Who would you picked 15th overall?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Nope. Never said that. You are probably confusing this with me saying he's at or near replacement level in 5v5 play, which means more or less a 4 or a weak 3 but his penalty differentiation and PP performance bring him up to being a #2ish D-man.
His 5v5 offense is very good despite playing against top competition nightly, you aren’t putting enough stock into QoC.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
What makes Dermott better than Gryzleck?

edit: to actually answer your question...

GAR thinks Colin Miller is a Norris candidate and that Jake Gardiner is a #1D. There are a lot of interesting insights there, but you can't understand role, and teammates and WHY with some R scripts.

Carlo has played two seasons... 1 season he saw top notch QoC pairing with Chara, the next season he was the baby sitter for Torey Krug. In both those seasons, he was a top 3 minute eater on a top 5 defensive team. His TOI on the PK is high end top pair.

Of course, just playing a lot on a good team isn't all there is to it. Carlo has been kinda just tall and soft most of his career. Good skater for his size, but super super conservative and too much of a collapser (like Julien taught him). The last few weeks of the season last year he switched to a more aggressive bent before he was injured. On the physical front, in denying zone entry and even with the puck. He will never be creative offensively, but no reason to think he can't be a 20-30 point guy if he isn't baby sitting a guy like Krug.

Things point to him being re-united with Chara this year and being told to move the puck and to not be afraid to join the rush. Bruins have been adding something new to his game every year. First top competition while being baby sat by Chara, the being the alpha dog defensively with Krug, and now trying to untap his two way game re-united with Chara.

Dermott has had a different path. He did very well last season against some very weak competition. Which is the more classic breaking in period. Bruins developed Carlo at the NHL instead of the AHL level and have had him work on different aspects of his game each season. Both teams should be excited about their young D. I just think that Carlo's physical tools give him a higher ceiling and the fact that he has played more at the NHL level leaves him more proven.

Of course, if you just want to sort D by GAR and say that Hamilton, Jeff Petry and Colin Miller are Norris contenders, there is nothing I can do to convince you.

The problem I have with Carlo is that he has no offensive upside. He could be a special player defensively, but long term, I prefer Gryz and Dermott.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
His 5v5 offense is very good despite playing against top competition nightly, you aren’t putting enough stock into QoC.
Both received sheltered min, and QoC is highly overrated. It's not so much that QoC doesn't matter but real QoC differences are too small to matter much.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
This was my order posted back in April:
1. McJesus
2. Eichel
3. Barzal
4. Provorov
5. Rantanen
6. Werenski
7. Marner
8. Boeser
9. Aho
10. Connor
11. Hanifin
12. DeBrusk
13. Konecny
14. Beauvillier
15. Meier
16. Chabot
17. Dermott
18. Dunn
19. Carlo
20. Strome
21. Roslovic
22. Sprong
23. Zacha
24. Fischer
25. Samsonov
26. Juulsen
27. Greenway
28. Malgin
29. Eriksson Ek
30. Andersson

Looks like I forgot a few guys, namely Nutivaara, Niku and Myers. I'd probably take all 3 of them at least over JEE and Andersson and possibly more.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Don Maloney taking Strome has helped the leafs more than anyone else not in the organization

jokes aside this has to be strome next. 40-45pts this year imho

Bear Dad

Aug 27, 2018
Boston
My next 5 after Strome in order:

1. Beauvillier
2. Meier
3. Carlo
4. Dermott
5. Roslovic

Not very high on Samsonov.

Ad