Prospect Info: 2015 NHL Entry Draft Thread | McKenzie's Final Ranking Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Roy, but I have questionmarks about both guys. I don't feel like there's going to be a slam-dunk choice at 15/16, which is why I'd much prefer trading the pick. Even if it's just for a later 1st round pick and another 2nd. There's plenty of "homerun" guys I'd take a swing at in the 25-55 range. The more picks you have there the bigger the chance you get a star.

A couple of guys I really like is Filip Chlapik and Vince Dunn. I see their ceiling as being Krejci and Keith. Both who, ironically, also were picked in the 2nd round. Two other guys I like is Denis Guryanov, who impressed me greatly at the U18's, and Daniel Sprong. Then there's tons of other guys in that range as well that is of interest in Christian Fischer, Jack Roslovic, Nicolas Meloche, Joel Eriksson Ek, Noah Juulsen...I could go on for days.

So...yeah, I think if we can't trade the pick for immediate help I rather just trade down and accumulate as many picks in that 25-55 range as possible

Same. If none of the top 10 guys drop to 15/16th, I'd trade down and I would also trade down with the Oilers 2nd.

2 late 1sts
2 mid 2nds
1 MTL 2nd

Too many good prospects I have a hard time choosing from.

Last edited:

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
Pre-lottery, I would have been all for trading the pick for immediate help.

Now? The team is going to need to accommodate an additional 4 million for McJesus's salary for the next few years, after which (if he lives up to his billing) they could be looking at 8-10 million of cap space being taken up.

The team is going to need to be able to flesch out the roster (partly) with young talent on ELCs; combined with the fact that this draft is supposedly 2003-deep, I wouldn't want the team to trade the pick unless they are getting a 'heavy' return.

I agree basically. Only exception is if top2 defenceman is available. I like Phaneuf but Toronto needs to take Ference's and Scrivens along the pick. Some salary must go to Toronto.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
There is no doubt we'll be able to get a very good prospect with this pick. There are potential 1st line F/top pairing D until late in the first round. This is a deep draft, and 15/16 gets you a good player in most years.

I'm up for moving the pick, but the return has to reflect that value. I'm not interested in trading the pick for a goalie unless another Schneider is on the market. I also don't want it sent off for a Phaneuf type cap dump either. Just because we have 2 1sts, it doesn't mean you just give one away. That pick cost us David Perron, and the return should be even better than that considering it's higher and the fact that picks are generally worth more on draft day anyway.

If someone wants that pick, they need to give us a good reason to give it to them.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
There is no doubt we'll be able to get a very good prospect with this pick. There are potential 1st line F/top pairing D until late in the first round. This is a deep draft, and 15/16 gets you a good player in most years.

I'm up for moving the pick, but the return has to reflect that value. I'm not interested in trading the pick for a goalie unless another Schneider is on the market. I also don't want it sent off for a Phaneuf type cap dump either. Just because we have 2 1sts, it doesn't mean you just give one away. That pick cost us David Perron, and the return should be even better than that considering it's higher and the fact that picks are generally worth more on draft day anyway.

If someone wants that pick, they need to give us a good reason to give it to them.

Yep..Agree with all that.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Possibly, but they probably wouldn't be better for like 5 years

That would be right around the same time Hall, RNH, and Eberle will need extensions or traded. So yes, I'd keep the pick for this specific reason.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Agreed, if all that we can get is a dud in return then make the pick and use next years picks as currency. Maybe at that point other GM's would realize that they can't bend us over in trade anymore or treat us like Holmgren did to MacT at his first draft. Luckily we have a well respected manager in place now so that shouldn't be an issue.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Svechnikov. He has huge upside, but boom/bust potential. Could be Malkin. Could be Alexei Mikhnov.

We dont need the boom version here with all the firepower already on the team. Even if he turns into Nichushkin 2.0 it doesnt matter.

Roy is the best RD Dman this draft period. Rather take a chance on him.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
We dont need the boom version here with all the firepower already on the team. Even if he turns into Nichushkin 2.0 it doesnt matter.

Roy has serious potential if he can work on his skating. I also said, Musil would be a top 4 shutdown D is his skating improves. I've waited 4 years of no sign of improvements.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown

I never expected to get McDavid. I did all of my own scouting information on these forwards expected to go 15-20, because we were likely going to choose Hanifin at 3OA.

I have no info on Roy.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Svechnikov or Jeremy Roy if you guys had to choose?

I thnk they have to take Roy if he's still there. Fluid puckmover, PP QB and the bonus of being a RHD. Would love Meier if he dropped that far, seems doubtful though.

With that said, that pick will almost certainly be dealt IMO. Chia doesn't dither and I don't think they brought him in to draft and develop another year.
I just hope he gets full value for the pick (which should be pretty valuable) and get a surefire top 4 Dman or #1 goalie, no half measures like Talbot or Jones. If it has to be an unproven guy, shoot for Gibson. Rather it be for a Dman though, not a fan of giving up valuable assets for goalies.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Or they could be a #1D/top 3 F

Not sure you know what "statistically likely" means. There's probably a sub-5% chance of that happening.

If you're afraid to trade a pick because it's a magic bean that one day might sprout into a stalk, you're probably not equipped to build a team. What's next? Afraid to move a 7th rounder because it might be the next Joe Pavelski?

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Really hoping we can move up with either the 16th pick or 33rd. Kind of see five comparable draft groups and it would be nice to bump up a group (see below). Keep in mind that the 16th pick this year, because it is a strong draft year, is about the equivalent of a 10th pick in normal year.

1. Connor McDavid

2. Jack Eichel

3-5. Noah Hanifin/Dylan Strome/Mitch Marner

6-12. Ivan Provorov/Lawson Crouse/Zach Werenski/Mathew Barzal/Mikko Rantanen/Pavel Zacha

13-20. Timo Meier/Evgeni Svechnikov/D Jeremy Roy/Paul Bittner/Nick Merkley/Jansen Harkins/Travis Konecny/Kyle Connor

With McDavid, Oilers are going to win the draft anyways. But if you could walk away with McDavid and Provorov/Crouse (normally likely 3-5 overall picks) or two of Roy/Bittner/Svechnikov, Oilers could win the draft decade.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
I am for one in favour in trading the pick for immediate help but I also realize that we may miss out on a potentially very good player.
We picked Oscar Klefbom with the 19th overall pick in a weaker draft, so I am kind of wary of losing the 16th pick to a team that will probably reap heavily from the player picked in such a deep draft.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I am for one in favour in trading the pick for immediate help but I also realize that we may miss out on a potentially very good player.
We picked Oscar Klefbom with the 19th overall pick in a weaker draft, so I am kind of wary of losing the 16th pick to a team that will probably reap heavily from the player picked in such a deep draft.

Klefa is also looking like one of the better picks from that draft. In 2003, the 16th overall pick was Steve Bernier, so there's always a gamble

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003

My concern with trading it for immediate help is that we a primarily looking at players from cap strapped teams. As with Leddy and Boychuk, the closer you get to starting the season the lower the asking price becomes as teams over the cap start to panic. I'd rather wait until late Sept-early Oct to make those type of deals.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
The reason we can get a good player by trading that pick is because this draft is supposed to be stacked. There is the possibility that the player selected at 16 will be better than what we get in return. In 5 or so years.

It is important for the team to improve now. That is why I want that pick traded for a top 4 NHL D. Trade that pick for a top 4 D. Sign another. Trade the 33rd for a goalie. That would be my plan.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The reason we can get a good player with that pick is because this draft is supposed to be stacked. There is the possibility that the player selected at 16 will be better than what we get in return. In 5 or so years.

It is important for the team to improve now. That is why I want that pick traded for a top 4 NHL D. Trade that pick for a top 4 D. Sign another. Trade the 33rd for a goalie. That would be my plan.

You bring up something that had me thinking about what PC said in not being afraid to make deals.

Sure the pick at 16 could be better in 5 years or so, but that's the risk of being a NHL gm. At some point you have to make those risks. Something that I feel MacT was afraid of at times.

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
I understand 2003 was an excellent draft. My question for those that know ..Was it considered a very deep draft or did it just turn out that way?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
No questions, this pick HSS to be packaged up for a #3 D. I'll be dissappointed if this pick isn't traded. Perfect asset for a trade to a cash strapped team looking to retool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad