Prospect Info: 2015 NHL Entry Draft Thread | McKenzie's Final Ranking Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
With guys like Hellebuyck and Stolarz coming out of the NAHL, it might be worth gambling on a goalie in the late rounds from there.

There's a few '97 born guys from that league that look interesting.

Matt Jurusik - 6'1'' 194lbs - Absolutely lit the league on fire. 1.57GAA and .939SV%.

Matej Tomek - 6'3'' 180lbs - #5 ranked NA goalie by CSS. 1.83GAA and .928SV%.

Evan Smith - 6'6'' 174lbs - Started in the WHL, but moved to the NAHL. 1.73GAA and .923SV%.

Wow. Let's hope he doesn't play in any outdoor games if he ever makes the NHL. They could lose him if the wind were to pick up.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Wow. Let's hope he doesn't play in any outdoor games if he ever makes the NHL. They could lose him if the wind were to pick up.

This is why I don't want to draft a goalie in the 2nd. Grab someone like Vladar or Tomek in the 3rd then Jurusik the 7th is a better plan imo

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Draft is so close.

Time sure flies. I mean geez, it has been almost two months since we won the draft. I remember thinking aw man, we have to wait until the end of June. Now it's coming up. :amazed:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Surprisingly enough I remember him. His draft was 2013 iirc and I was pretty shocked he didn't get selected. I believe he put really good numbers. He wouldn't be a bad selection in the 7th but I think it's more realistic that we invite him to camp and sign him. Just my thoughts.

Yeah, I don't care either way. I just think he's worth a look. Hope he gets a camp invite at least. I watched him live during the world juniors last year and liked him already back then but because of his size I didn't care to follow up because I figured he probably wasn't an NHL prospect.

Apparently he was ranked pretty highly in his draft year though. Button had him at 68.

From http://thehockeywriters.com/juuso-ikonen-the-next-ones-2013-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Where will he end up in June: His size will dissuade teams from taking a risk on him in the first two rounds, but it seems highly probable that Ikonen will go somewhere in the third round.

Surprised no one took a chance on him even in the 7th round.

Grab someone like Vladar or Tomek in the 3rd then Jurusik the 7th is a better plan imo

This is exactly what I want. Vladar or Tomek in the 3rd and Jurusik in the 7th. That would be perfect.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
THAT is why? You're worried about wind interfering with skinny goaltenders?

:facepalm: give me a break. It's also because there is too much skater talent in this draft in the 2nd round and there are too many good goalies that will be available late

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Samsonov skipped the combine(a big factor in Slepyshev not being drafted).. and has maybe signed a 3 year deal in Russia.

I'd be surprised if he wasn't available at 33

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Samsonov skipped the combine(a big factor in Slepyshev not being drafted).. and has maybe signed a 3 year deal in Russia.

Just so happens in 3 years we will need a goalie on his ELC to help keep our team together when McDavid's 2nd contract kicks in. The risk is that he lights it up in the KHL and gets offered big money, although I'm sure we could work a few attainable bonuses into his ELC so he would make more than 900K.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

With the Laurikainen signing I wouldn't be quite as desperate to get a good goalie prospect, so I wouldn't mind that risk. However, I think that with how Samsonov has been talked up in the last month or so, he might rise faster than he's falling. He's considered by many to be a near-generational talent.

So maybe the plan should be to trade that 2nd, but wait right until the end just in case Samsonov is still available.

one reason to take Samsonov in the first round: if a player taken in the first round isn't re-signed by the team (within a certain time I think), then the team gets a compensation pick. I believe it would be a 2nd rounder. If there is a potential flight risk of him staying in Russia, or if he otherwise doesn't work out, then we would get a pick back. If the pick they give is 61st overall, then maybe we could make that our compensation pick for Chia. That would fall within that 3 year span so it works out. So if we trade up the 33rd to 30th, or if we trade down from 16th to that range, then we would get that extra benefit separated only by a few draft spots.

PeakMcOil

Loyal To The Oil
Jul 25, 2008
With the Laurikainen signing I wouldn't be quite as desperate to get a good goalie prospect, so I wouldn't mind that risk. However, I think that with how Samsonov has been talked up in the last month or so, he might rise faster than he's falling. He's considered by many to be a near-generational talent.

So maybe the plan should be to trade that 2nd, but wait right until the end just in case Samsonov is still available.

one reason to take Samsonov in the first round: if a player taken in the first round isn't re-signed by the team (within a certain time I think), then the team gets a compensation pick. I believe it would be a 2nd rounder. If there is a potential flight risk of him staying in Russia, or if he otherwise doesn't work out, then we would get a pick back. If the pick they give is 61st overall, then maybe we could make that our compensation pick for Chia. That would fall within that 3 year span so it works out. So if we trade up the 33rd to 30th, or if we trade down from 16th to that range, then we would get that extra benefit separated only by a few draft spots.

If the draft pick stuff holds, this is honestly pretty brilliant. :handclap:

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Just think unless you're getting a superstar goalie, there's always replacement level goaltending available every year.

Definitely would wait until 3rd for a goalie.

TheGuyInTheChair

Sep 21, 2014
I'm interested in Samsonov for sure. I'm thinking I would still probably pass on him with the 16th pick. And it sounds like there's a good chance he'll be gone by 33.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
If the draft pick stuff holds, this is honestly pretty brilliant. :handclap:

There are a couple problems though. You shouldn't draft a guy in the first just to expect to lose him and get a second round pick back later.

And as it stands right now, there's no transfer agreement with Russia. It sounds like they're working on something but we have no idea how long teams will have to sign Russians. If things don't change, that pick they get back could be in the 2024 range.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
This thread is quickly approaching 1,000 when the new thread is up. Can we change to poll question to: If we keep the 16th overall pick who would you draft? (then ofcourse appropriate poll options)

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
This thread is quickly approaching 1,000 when the new thread is up. Can we change to poll question to: If we keep the 16th overall pick who would you draft? (then ofcourse appropriate poll options)

Just Musil and Debrusk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad