Prospect Info: 2015 NHL Entry Draft Talk

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Konecny is an often forgotten about player for sure. If you would've told me last year that he'd be likely available at 12, I'd be excited for sure.

Now? I am. But I don't know if he's the right option for the team.

Imagining him flanking on a line with Seguin is real sweet though.

I've heard rumblings of attitude problem. I also heard that when he was given the C in Ottawa it caused a rift in the dressingroom. The older kids definitely didn't like the reigns being handed to a 17 year old.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
1. Connor McDavid
2. Jack Eichel
3. Mitch Marner
4. Dylan Strome
5. Matt Barzal
6. Mikko Rantanen
7. Noah Hanifin
8. Lawson Crouse
9. Pavel Zacha
10. Zack Werenski
11. Kyle Connor

I believe this is a pretty bad scenario for Dallas. Connor just off, Werenski would be nice to slip as well.

Still on the board:

Evgeni Svechnikov
Timo Meier
Nick Merkely
Travis Konecny
Thomas Chabot

For OttMorrow, imagine Werenski is still on the board but Konecny is gone since you rate Konecny high.

Who do you guys take?

Last edited:

masinaLFC

Apr 2, 2014
Banska Bystrica, SVK
You have 2 Rantanens in the top 11 :) I would pick Zacha from that list.. the highest potential there.. and if Werenski falls, I believe Stars pick him without hesitation

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I knew something was fishy.

1. Connor McDavid
2. Jack Eichel
3. Mitch Marner
4. Dylan Strome
5. Matt Barzal
6. Mikko Rantanen
7. Noah Hanifin
8. Lawson Crouse
9. Pavel Zacha
10. Zack Werenski
11. Kyle Connor

-> It's not a comfortable situation for us and I doubt the draft plays out this way but I honestly don't know who I'd want at #12.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
^ Forgetting Provorov. We're gonna get one of those 12.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
la la la la la

it's been a long day- god damn.

1. Connor McDavid
2. Jack Eichel
3. Mitch Marner
4. Dylan Strome
5. Matt Barzal
6. Mikko Rantanen
7. Noah Hanifin
8. Lawson Crouse
9. Ivan Provorov
10. Zack Werenski
11. Pavel Zacha

so Kyle Connor or Pavel Zacha is who I have falling to us in this situation

it's a nice consolation prize.. funnily enough before the U-18 many mocks had Barzal falling to us (which was incredibly short sighted by most) but now there are fans of teams selecting within the top 5 wanting to choose him.

funny how it works. i should probably get some rest hahahaha

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Yea, I think there's a fair drop-off after those 12. Clear top 6, and a clear top 12. Maybe some risers, though - Zboril and Chabot could go higher than expected.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I just hope we won't pick a Dman, unless it is someone from Hanifin/Werenski/Provorov trio

I won't be upset at Nill and Co. for whoever we pick. They see a lot more than we do, know a lot more than we do, and are making the decision for a reason.

I'll be upset if they pass over certain players, but not for picking a certain player.

masinaLFC

Apr 2, 2014
Banska Bystrica, SVK
I won't be upset at Nill and Co. for whoever we pick. They see a lot more than we do, know a lot more than we do, and are making the decision for a reason.

I'll be upset if they pass over certain players, but not for picking a certain player.

Yeah I know that Nill team know more than we do(I hope) about the kids, but it's always more exciting to have a new shiny offensive toy, than a mid 1st round ranked dman, who needs a few years to develop.. :naughty:

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Your new, shiny offensive toy isn't ready to come out of the box for another 2+ years at #12 for the most part.

I've been see-sawing between defense and offense lately with the first pick. Nill (?) said last summer if there's a toss up between 2 players they like, they take the defender.

We drafted a ton of defense prospects last year, but it really doesn't hurt to add another. I've looked at the depth chart on D over the past weekend, and the cupboard is stocked but you can never have enough flour to bake bread with.

Since 2012....

Ludwig Bystrom – 43rd Overall, 2012
Esa Lindell – 74th Overall, 2012
Dmitry Sinitsyn – 183rd Overall, 2012
Nicklas Hansson – 68th Overall, 2013
Aleksi Makela – 182nd Overall, 2013
Julius Honka – 14th Overall, 2014
Alex Peters – 75th Overall, 2014
Michael Prapavessis – 105th Overall, 2014
Miro Karjalainen – 135th Overall, 2014
Aaron Haydon – 154th Overall, 2014
John Nyberg – 165th Overall, 2014
Patrick Sanvido – 195th Overall, 2014

That list omits Nemeth, Vance, Klingberg, Oleksiak, Backman & Jokipakka. So there's 18 in the system (but Klingberg, Nemeth are going to be full time NHLers next year so 16)- so 16 men, and one of Jokipakka/Oleksiak is gone.

As I continue to ramble on, I still welcome Jeremy Roy at #12- maybe Thomas Chabot. I have no job right now, so I kind of think about the draft a little too much than I should.

Last edited:

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Also as I continue to ramble, this preliminary list (that i posted a couple hrs ago) was jotted up real quick. Obviously. 2 errors.

1. Connor McDavid
2. Jack Eichel
3. Mitch Marner
4. Dylan Strome
5. Matt Barzal
6. Mikko Rantanen
7. Noah Hanifin
8. Lawson Crouse
9. Ivan Provorov
10. Zack Werenski
11. Pavel Zacha

Despite the fact that it was thought of real quick, you have to remember that the draft never goes the way you think it does.

Teravainen fell, Filip Forsberg fell, blah blah blah. The sure-fire top 10 that becomes consensus in October for some unexplainable reason, changes. NHL Central Scouting Services never has it right nor does McKeens or whoever you go to for Prospects. Although, I'd love to see Corey Pronman's list (stupid ESPN paywall).

Regardless. We're going to see that list from the above change... and likely real quick. Especially if Arizona strays from Noah Hanifin. When that first wave goes through, it gets interesting fast. Konecny gets injected inside the top 10 or someone takes Evgeni Svechnikov.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
It's an option if you think you'll get your player a couple picks later. However, I don't think it's outside the realm of reason to select Jeremy Roy at 12.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
After mostly everyone's Top 3 D, Pronman has Kylington and a few spots later Roy. He actually has Zboril and Chabot as 2nd rounders.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
It's an option if you think you'll get your player a couple picks later. However, I don't think it's outside the realm of reason to select Jeremy Roy at 12.

I saw a shift-by-shift on Roy that looked absolutely awful. Based on my earlier viewings of Roy which were fantastic, he's got some real inconsistency issues. I'm not as high on him as I was, but I still think he's got a lot of upside. That said, I'd still prefer taking Konecny, Connor, Svechnikov, or Rantanen at 12.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I saw a shift-by-shift on Roy that looked absolutely awful. Based on my earlier viewings of Roy which were fantastic, he's got some real inconsistency issues. I'm not as high on him as I was, but I still think he's got a lot of upside. That said, I'd still prefer taking Konecny, Connor, Svechnikov, or Rantanen at 12.

You're going to see inconsistency with most young defenseman, that's just part of the game.

Unfortunately, drafting Jeremy Roy is almost redundant as we've got puck moving defenseman like Klingberg, Honka, Lindell and somewhat Bystrom developing.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Also as I continue to ramble, this preliminary list (that i posted a couple hrs ago) was jotted up real quick. Obviously. 2 errors.

1. Connor McDavid
2. Jack Eichel
3. Mitch Marner
4. Dylan Strome
5. Matt Barzal
6. Mikko Rantanen
7. Noah Hanifin
8. Lawson Crouse
9. Ivan Provorov
10. Zack Werenski
11. Pavel Zacha

Despite the fact that it was thought of real quick, you have to remember that the draft never goes the way you think it does.

Teravainen fell, Filip Forsberg fell, blah blah blah. The sure-fire top 10 that becomes consensus in October for some unexplainable reason, changes. NHL Central Scouting Services never has it right nor does McKeens or whoever you go to for Prospects. Although, I'd love to see Corey Pronman's list (stupid ESPN paywall).

Regardless. We're going to see that list from the above change... and likely real quick. Especially if Arizona strays from Noah Hanifin. When that first wave goes through, it gets interesting fast. Konecny gets injected inside the top 10 or someone takes Evgeni Svechnikov.

I can't see Hanifin falling out of the top 5. Personally think if the Yotes take Strome at 3, then the leafs take Hanifin at 4.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I can't see Hanifin falling out of the top 5. Personally think if the Yotes take Strome at 3, then the leafs take Hanifin at 4.

Hanifin is losing steam with the fans, much like Ekblad did last year because they are "boring" Ds. I still don't see Hanifin falling out of the top 5 due to a lack of flash and mean-streak. He's lower risk than Provorov due to size.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
For OttMorrow, imagine Werenski is still on the board but Konecny is gone since you rate Konecny high.

Who do you guys take?

I'd take Werenski if Konecny was gone, but it's be a close one between him and Svechnikov. I have a soft spot for Euros that tear up the CHL in their 1st season in NA...a lot of offensive potential if you factor in their eventual full-adjustment to the NA-style.

Werenski's upside as a #1D with size is too much to pass up ultimately. Gotta take that chance on him.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Hanifin is losing steam with the fans, much like Ekblad did last year because they are "boring" Ds. I still don't see Hanifin falling out of the top 5 due to a lack of flash and mean-streak. He's lower risk than Provorov due to size.

I don't know if I'd lump Ekblad into that category. That kid was a stud in the OHL since he was an underager, who would **** people up in the corners and score big goals.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I don't know if I'd lump Ekblad into that category. That kid was a stud in the OHL since he was an underager, who would **** people up in the corners and score big goals.

You liked Ekblad more than Hanifin in their draft years?

Honest question...I'm not head over heels for Hanifin myself.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I liked Ekblad way more than I like Hanifin.

Whenever Ekblad came to Kingston he always impressed me.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Ekblad is everything you could want in a defender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad