GDT: 2015 NHL Entry Draft: Pt 2 | Sharks pick F Timo Meier 9th Overall

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I am happy with the first 2 picks and I actually have pretty high hopes for the goalies. The rest of the picks are where I am concerned but we will see what happens. I don't have that feeling like I did last year where I thought a couple of later picks had NHL in their future. Hope I am wrong.

Taking a 6'6" dman that can actually move and is headed to a program that has churned out dmen has me intrigued.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
This is bunk, with a couple of the right moves they can be a damn good playoff team and maybe even a contender again. They need a stud goalie and a stud d, both can be had, the goalie through trade which will cost and the d through ufa which we should overpay. Then its just a matter of adding depth and hoping players like Hertl, Nieto, and Tierney take the next step.

Agreed. If we were somehow able to get Rask, and then add Sekera or Green in FA, I think we'd have a real shot, if our young guys take that next step. Even if we just get Sekera/Green and any sort of goalie upgrade, I think we have a chance.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Agreed. If we were somehow able to get Rask, and then add Sekera or Green in FA, I think we'd have a real shot, if our young guys take that next step. Even if we just get Sekera/Green and any sort of goalie upgrade, I think we have a chance.

If we get Rask, which is unlikely, we have a chance simply because he's a top-3 goalie and that makes up for a lot. If we get Sekera or Green we'd have a pretty good D group. I don't think we'd win a cup without some serious luck (all the young guys breaking out to some degree, at least one of the rookies really stepping up, good matchups), but it would be a solid stop-gap until Roy (who I am very high on) Mueller, Meier, etc are ready to step in. I think we'd still have an issue long term finding that #1 c we need to replace Thornton though, and if we make the playoffs next year getting one in the draft is highly unlikely.

Bowie22

blow it up
Jul 20, 2012
Santa Clara, CA
Taking a 6'6" dman that can actually move and is headed to a program that has churned out dmen has me intrigued.

Yea, same here. I was worried at first when I noticed he was 6'6, given our track record with those type of dmen. From my limited reading's on him, he can actually skate well for his size...

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
It's kind of interesting how many players the Sharks took from places that weren't Major Juniors and generally popular places to draft out of.

They got two non-Minnesota high school kids, a guy playing in Norway, a guy playing in the MHL, a guy from Junior A, and a guy from Tier 2 US hockey. Compared to last year where it was 6 guys from Major Junior.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
It's kind of interesting how many players the Sharks took from places that weren't Major Juniors and generally popular places to draft out of.

They got two non-Minnesota high school kids, a guy playing in Norway, a guy playing in the MHL, a guy from Junior A, and a guy from Tier 2 US hockey. Compared to last year where it was 6 guys from Major Junior.

But on the flipside the 3 high schoolers and the BCHL dude are moving onto the NCAA.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Yea, same here. I was worried at first when I noticed he was 6'6, given our track record with those type of dmen. From my limited reading's on him, he can actually skate well for his size...

So could Nick Petrecki...but I digress!

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
From my understanding, Petrecki was basically too strong for his own good and masked a lot of his problems at lower levels.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
Petrecki was rushed because the org was panicked at how bad he looked in his freshman and sophomore years. If he stayed in BC for 4 years he would have been at least an NHL fringe player.

And that's success for the Sharks in the 1st round!

But seriously. You can't really judge players after a draft, because you are only comparing projections vs projections. It seems like a reach as most had him a lot lower, but most also didn't have Ranalanadingdong falling as far as he did.

We'll see. I haven't followed any of these kids to have any real opinion on them. All I can say is likely no one knows, but based on the Sharks history of drafting non-centers or physical players I am nervous whenever they go away from consensus.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Petrecki was rushed because the org was panicked at how bad he looked in his freshman and sophomore years. If he stayed in BC for 4 years he would have been at least an NHL fringe player.

He didn't look bad. Just out of control. He made the choice to turn pro. The org can't advise him, pretty sure that's an NCAA violation.

lsx

Oct 19, 2010
Sonoma County, CA
This is bunk, with a couple of the right moves they can be a damn good playoff team and maybe even a contender again. They need a stud goalie and a stud d, both can be had, the goalie through trade which will cost and the d through ufa which we should overpay. Then its just a matter of adding depth and hoping players like Hertl, Nieto, and Tierney take the next step.

So if we look back on this after a couple more years of mediocrity, will your excuse be that they simply didn't make those "right moves?" :laugh:

Keep your heads in the sand guys. :laugh:

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
So if we look back on this after a couple more years of mediocrity, will your excuse be that they simply didn't make those "right moves?" :laugh:

Well if DW doesn't do **** then yea but it also depends on what mediocrity is to you. If not winnning the cup is mediocrity, then there's no helping you.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

I am not sure what you are saying?

If we were to get a elite goalie and elite d-man, we would not be contenders?

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013

If this rebuild is only a couple years of mediocrity I will be thanking the heavens.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Does anyone know if the Sharks are doing a draft experience video like they've done for the last 2 years? I always thought they were very cool.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
If we could add Sekera, I think the Sharks would be in real good shape. Only then would I want them to make a move for Rask. The number and quality of future assets the Sharks would have to give up to get him would be incredibly steep. No reason to commit those kinds of assets unless they add a top notch dman like Sekera.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad