GDT: 2015 NHL Entry Draft - Part III

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
There isn't one pick that I disagree with. Can't remember the last time I could say that.

they could have picked the same imaginary player 19 times and i think you'd still say this

Benning earned the benefit of the doubt with this draft

from whom

benning drafted some players. he didn't get outstanding value like the jets or the islanders and he didnt piss all over himself like boston. he did the baseline of what is expected from an nhl team. considering who he is, this is probably a massive success

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
they could have picked the same imaginary player 19 times and i think you'd still say this

from whom

So what pick do you think was a mistake? None of them stand out as poor picks. This is pretty obvious, as the inherently unhappy, angry posters are being very quiet about his picks. That silence tells you all you need to know.

From whom? Anyone that knows a lick about the draft. Benning has absolutely earned the benefit of the doubt, as if he didn't already, running terrific drafts for the Sabres for over a half dozen years.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
So what pick do you think was a mistake? None of them stand out as poor picks. This is pretty obvious, as the inherently unhappy, angry posters are being very quiet about his picks. That silence tells you all you need to know.

From whom? Anyone that knows a lick about the draft. Benning has absolutely earned the benefit of the doubt, as if he didn't already, running terrific drafts for the Sabres for over a half dozen years.

Yep, agreed.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
Considering our history of drafting I am surprised by all the optimism.

I love the Boeser pick, and think he has a real good chance.

The rest of it though, I think was very low percentage. We have never drafted a top 6 player or top 4 dman out of the Q. I am not sure why most people, including the Canuck scouts, think this is going to change over night.

We have had very limited success with Russian and Czech players. I can think of three impact players in 45 years.

I would have been a lot happier, if we had taken more OHL and Dub players.

CanuckDon*

The rest of it though, I think was very low percentage. We have never drafted a top 6 player or top 4 dman out of the Q. I am not sure why most people, including the Canuck scouts, think this is going to change over night.

We have had very limited success with Russian and Czech players. I can think of three impact players in 45 years.

Luc bourdon

rune74

Oct 10, 2008

I think using history as a point to a draft by totally different people seems irrelevant.

Tv9924

Sep 16, 2012
Surrey, BC

How do the success and failures of past GMs affect GMJBs drafting ability?

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
I have every hope our picks turn out, and I don't want to rain on their shiny and new possibility.

I just would have preferred to have seen more home town players.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I have every hope our picks turn out, and I don't want to rain on their shiny and new possibility.

I just would have preferred to have seen more home town players.

Barzal would have been nice but I'm glad JB didn't pick Harkins at 23 simply because he was a "hometown boy"

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
How do the success and failures of past GMs affect GMJBs drafting ability?

Jim Benning is still relying on our same scouting staff, that has been in place for over 30 years in some cases.

Same scouts, same prominent drafting areas, can equate to same results.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
Barzal would have been nice but I'm glad JB didn't pick Harkins at 23 simply because he was a "hometown boy"

Yes I agree. We didn't take a faller this year even though there was a couple, but I believe the Boeser pick was the safest pick at 23.

I would have liked to have seen more western and ohl talent in the later rounds.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Jim Benning is still relying on our same scouting staff, that has been in place for over 30 years in some cases.

Same scouts, same prominent drafting areas, can equate to same results.

Jim Benning is out scouting for himself, so he doesn't have to rely on the scouts.

And we fired our Q scouts recently.

The Red Wings took nobody from the OHL. Like us, they took 2 guys from the USHL and 2 from the Q. Did they screw up too, are was it a bad year for the O?

Sounds like it was a down year for the OHL. I'm glad Benning spotted this when he did.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
Jim Benning is out scouting for himself, so he doesn't have to rely on the scouts.

The Red Wings took nobody from the OHL. Like us, they took 2 guys from the USHL and 2 from the Q. Did they screw up too, are was it a bad year for the O?

Sounds like it was a down year for the OHL. I'm glad Benning spotted this when he did.

Yes I know JB is doing his own scouting, and I hope he does well. But I also hope he is held accountable if he is wrong.

Every year guys like Delorme continue to survive in our scouting department. They should all have been canned decades ago. There is zero accountability, and they can fail year after year, and nothing is ever done.

I don't like the cool aid, and I won't drink it.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Saying we never have success picking from the Q or Russia and implying drafting from those leagues is a poor move is stupid, we can't ignore an entire league because we have had no success up to date. Crosby, Lemieux and Ray Bourque all came from the Q. Russia isn't as well scouted as any of the other leagues gives you a better chance of landing the home run sleeper like Datsyuk

I am 100% on board with this years draft picks, I've had enough of the big body 4th liner AHL projections

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
Saying we never have success picking from the Q or Russia and implying drafting from those leagues is a poor move is stupid, we can't ignore an entire league because we have had no success up to date. Crosby, Lemieux and Ray Bourque all came from the Q. Russia isn't as well scouted as any of the other leagues gives you a better chance of landing the home run sleeper like Datsyuk

I am 100% on board with this years draft picks, I've had enough of the big body 4th liner AHL projections

If the Canucks had an opportunity to draft Crosby or Lemieux, it would have zero bearing on our scouting staff.

Generational talents that go number one over all, is not something I am arguing about.

I am arguing about similar levels of talent in leagues, and the Canuck scouting staff, and their terrible draft history.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
If the Canucks had an opportunity to draft Crosby or Lemieux, it would have zero bearing on our scouting staff.

Generational talents that go number one over all, is not something I am arguing about.

I am arguing about similar levels of talent in leagues, and the Canuck scouting staff, and their terrible draft history.

Once you draft them, it's up to you to develop them.

I think this has been their biggest shortcoming overall.

Developing >>>>>>>> Drafting.

imo anyways.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.

imo anyways.

That is a very good point, and I do agree. I felt we did well when we were affiliated with Winnipeg, and am very happy with Utica.

Hopefully owning our own AHL team will be a difference maker.

I am just upset at all the failure we have had with our drafting in the past, and would love to see changes made. I want a cup in Van, and am tired of seeing the past, repeat itself ad nauseam.

StIllmatic

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
If Benning is good at drafting, which is still up in the air, but struggles at EVERYTHING else, then why is he a gm? He ought to be a headscout.

edit: Sorry this isn't the right thread for this.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011

imo anyways.

Pretty much agreed, although there is that old nurture/nature debate. It's not as black and white as that because in some players cases Patrick White likely never becomes an NHL player on any other team but perhaps Hugh Jessiman does based on opportunity and coaching. It's all "what if" however I will agree with the developing > drafting.

Generational talents are usually 1st overall picks but there are rare times when a generational talent is found in later rounds, Chielios and Messier were both second round picks ( if not generational talents than close enough )

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

i think they're fine. jasek strikes me as an astute pick, boeser was basically my "if benning doesn't **** it up royally i hope we get this guy" compromise, gaudette and olsen seem maybe suboptimal and zhukenov is a complete unknown. again. its a draft. its not a great one, its not a bad one.

this should be framed as: I dont trust your end opinion because again, if benning just wrote "THE SUN GOD" for every one of his picks you'd be praising him for his knowledge of ancient egypt

From whom? Anyone that knows a lick about the draft.

ah yes, all those people. those people that are clearly in that set. what set you ask? [people who know a lick about the draft]. names? why the hell would you ask me for names. just look at the list yourself *shakes out blank infinitely long scroll from a 60's cartoon*

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
if i wanted to find criticism of benning's draft it's that he could have gotten pretty awesome value by following toronto's lead and trading down. 23 could have become merkley and bracco or something. maybe you like boeser a lot, but do you really like boeser more than whomever you get at 30 + another pick?

it's whatever. they clearly saw what button sees in him. i dont think i see that, but at least they went with the goal-scoring physical player rather than the bruiser hitmachine that can score goals too

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Only DropTheSopel and a handful of other posters herd have called the canucks draft good,every "expert" has given it a meh

Compared to 2013 where canucks were deemed draft winners right after by multiple people

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Only DropTheSopel and a handful of other posters herd have called the canucks draft good,every "expert" has given it a meh

Compared to 2013 where canucks were deemed draft winners right after by multiple people

Expert? Who are you referring to? The guy that criticized us for no taking kylington at 23?

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax

There is just one Q scout I think and our **** one was actually hired last year as the GM for St John of the Q league. So he had actually moved up. Go figure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad