17-Rantanen
18-Meier
19-Zboril
20-Harkins
21-Chabot

Last edited by a moderator:

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Wow, there's a lot of things off that list that surprised me.

Konecny (who was my pick for Nashville's pick) jumped from 26 to 12. I'm not sure if ISS had him that high all along, but NHL Central's Scouting Bureau had him at 26.

I think that Nick Merkley will end up dropping to the end of the 1st round.

Jeremy Roy is definitely a pick that I would love the Leafs to make.

I don't see nick merkley dropping that far at all. If he does we better jump on it cause that kids a gamer. plays a bit like eberle offensively but has an edge to him.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
That's up to others to decide. The article just came out. Thought I'd share it. That's all. I don't think its meaningless. I had Strome ahead of Hanifan in my rankings before this article or ISS ranking came out.

Sorry- I didn't mean to sound like I was criticizing you for posting it. In retrospect I think my post sounds overly blunt. :)

I think it's fine to rank Strome ahead of Hanifin if that's how you see. By meaningless, I just mean that the ISS is ranking is not (imo) a reliable indicator of NHL teams drafting behaviour, at least to that precise a detail.

doorman

Nov 8, 2012
Thunder Bay
I would love to trade jvr for Lawson Crouse. I think Crouse and jvr are very similar with their great hands, big bodies, shots and offensive games. I think Crouse would be much better defensively though and if we get marner along with him it could be crouse-marner-nylander. That would be a terrific line.

Funny I was just thinking if the Leafs were able to draft a centre and even a winger like Marner (I know some will argue but he is primarily a winger) a big fast skilled high motor body like Crouse would be amazing to pair with them. That being said if the Leafs sneak into the top 6-12 they need to take either BArzal or Proporov or Werenski, IMHO.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Sorry- I didn't mean to sound like I was criticizing you for posting it. In retrospect I think my post sounds overly blunt. :)

I think it's fine to rank Strome ahead of Hanifin if that's how you see. By meaningless, I just mean that the ISS is ranking is not (imo) a reliable indicator of NHL teams drafting behaviour, at least to to that precise a detail.

No probs, I think its good to bring varying opinions and analysis into a draft discussion. When London and Erie play, maybe Marner moves into #3, or maybe this board gravitates to Strome as it did in the last poll. We can have a poll a week. ;)

This is my 5th draft on this board. I know enough to put a date on my draft rankings. Lists will be modified until the last game is in. Draft rankings are a snapshot in time.

I will say this, I think this draft goes beyond just Marner and Strome. Would be happy with either. Would be happy with others too. It's a stacked draft. Cheers.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
No probs, I think its good to bring varying opinions and analysis into a draft discussion. When London and Erie play, maybe Marner moves into #3, or maybe this board gravitates to Strome as it did in the last poll. We can have a poll a week. ;)

This is my 5th draft on this board. I know enough to put a date on my draft rankings. Lists will be modified until the last game is in. Draft rankings are a snapshot in time.

I will say this, I think this draft goes beyond just Marner and Strome. Would be happy with either. Would be happy with others too. It's a stacked draft. Cheers.

Well said. :cheers:

I have been following the draft a little too obsessively since the miid-90s. The main thing I've learned is that I don't know a whole lot about prospects. :laugh: I've paid less attention in recent years (though I always follow activities on the draft weekend). But I've come back to it this year. This draft is more exciting than any I can remember and I have a hard time stating with any confidence who would be best for the Leafs, unless his name is McDavid. Sentimentally, though I want Marner or Strome or Crouse, but whoever we draft will promptly become my sentimental favourite.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
The real beauty of this draft is we are ripping peoples heads off because of debate for Marner/Hanifin/Strome and in reality there is slim to none separating all three of these players at the end of the day.

Draft day will be great.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
The real beauty of this draft is we are ripping peoples heads off because of debate for Marner/Hanifin/Strome and in reality there is slim to none separating all three of these players at the end of the day.

Draft day will be great.

Pretty much.

Any one of Hanifin, Strome or Marner is going to be an awesome add to our prospect pool and future.

Hell even a Barzal, Provorov, Werenski really aren't all that far away from those three in most rankings (I'm generalizing and that is actually the point) and would be hella sweet adds to our system.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
He's undervalued for the reasons you list.

I'm sure people see Kessel when they watch him - though Sprong is much more physical than Kessel (when he wants to be). While he can be lazy defensively, his defense looks worse than it actually is due to playing heavy minutes on a sub-par team.

Add to that him rubbing people the wrong way by saying some egotistical things, and yes, he's very undervalued.

If he was a Canadian who only said humble things in public, I'm sure he'd be firmly in the top 10 discussion.

Everything that has been said about Sprong was also said about Hossa once upon a time. He's too talented to walk away from in the 20-30 range.

Interestingly enough, he is eligible to play for Canada and has refused to play for the Netherlands because of that

doorman

Nov 8, 2012
Thunder Bay
Pretty much.

Any one of Hanifin, Strome or Marner is going to be an awesome add to our prospect pool and future.

Hell even a Barzal, Provorov, Werenski really aren't all that far away from those three in most rankings (I'm generalizing and that is actually the point) and would be hella sweet adds to our system.

I think things get better and worse with draft day as the debate after the picks made will begin, then if said prospect has a slow start, lol I can see it now!!!

That being said if we some how land two high picks do you stick to BPA or do you try and fill positional needs? Though we need everything lol!!

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
I think things get better and worse with draft day as the debate after the picks made will begin, then if said prospect has a slow start, lol I can see it now!!!

That being said if we some how land two high picks do you stick to BPA or do you try and fill positional needs? Though we need everything lol!!

For the first pick if take BPA them for second I'd kind of base it off our first. Who I think would play well with who, etc, etc. If we wind up with 4th and 8th I'd take marner (as a center) and a big winger for him and nylander to play alongside. Be it Meier, rantanen, zacha, or crouse, all good selections. I'd be fine with werenski or provorov as well.

NotSince67*

If the Leafs draft Ivan Provorov....

What will Don Cherry's mispronunciation be?

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Keep moving down in the draft acquiring assets ,then draft Zacha ! :yo:

He's only played 37 reg games his rookie year & i think he should be ranked higher,oh well.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Harkins will end up being the 3rd best C out of this draft class at the NHL level anyways, so who cares about Marner or Strome.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Wonder if Philly would entertain moving up from 7 to 4 with us getting the Tampa 1st pick they own

We move down 3 spot and still can draft Zacha who could be just as good as strome plus netting another 1st rounder.

3 picks in the top 30 and really all you do is pass on strome.

Is Strome that much better Zacha especially if your adding another guy as a result

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Wonder if Philly would entertain moving up from 7 to 4 with us getting the Tampa 1st pick they own

We move down 3 spot and still can draft Zacha who could be just as good as strome plus netting another 1st rounder.

Is Strome that much better Zacha especially if your adding another guy as a result

I wouldn't give up Strome/Marner for Zacha. I would deal Kessel to Philly for the 7th overall +.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara

I actually like this plan if we can get Barzal and 2 other really good players in the 1st round.

Mitch Marner would be hard to pass up though... serious thinking going in the Leaf camp right now I bet.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
You think Philadelphia would be interested in a deal for the 8th overall pick involving Phaneuf?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad