Speculation: 2015 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
im crossing my fingers our coaches can teach lucia to play 2 way / better D game. i am worried he did not score 40 points last season which would have kept him on development pace with bjugstad (in my book). i still think at #20 white & ek erickson are too conservative picks. im still gung ho on sprong or beauvillier or a falling star.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Just because a player is asked by the coaching staff to be defensively responsible does not mean they are hindering his offensive potential. See: Zucker, Jason

See: Coyle, Charlie. Also Zucker plays a solid two-way game. It's his speed that makes him a dangerous offensive threat but when drafted, no one expected him to be an offensive threat. I am surprised we haven't reigned that in a bit.

Granlund was breaking scoring records in Finland, and has pretty much been given the top line in his time here. We aren't holding him back, except for maybe the power play, which should be remedied this year.

We should move Granlund out to wing. And he has struggled to translate over his scoring game here to the NA game.

Maybe defensive reliability was a reason Coyle was moved to center, but it's not the reason.

Yes it is. He was a Koivu clone and the reason why we moved him to center. We ask our centers to be defensively responsible.

Just because somebody plays the center position and is asked to maintain some sort of level of defensive ability, doesn't mean that their offensive potential is being neutered. He has played center because a) he's better than Brodziak, b) he has experience at that position, and c) as a team, we are wing-heavy.

He had little experience at center before the Wild. He mainly played right wing. As well, if you ask the team to loosen the reins on defensive play down the middle, you think they are going to say yes? This team has an MO. Defensive responsible players > offensive production.

I can't find a single mention of Granlund's "two way game" or defensive responsibility in his draft profiles. Just glowing offensive, playmaking and hockey sense reviews.

He was smart but he wasn't a defensive liability. I'll find some reports later but I know that Granlund being a good two-way player was one of the reasons we picked him.

And Its pretty widely known that Lucia is a flat out liability in the D zone. He's a big scoring winger.

That one I might have been wrong about but I thought Lucia was seen as a two-way winger.

Dumba certainly wasn't picked for his two way play, nor Phillips(regardless of if he didn't develop, the Wild gave him every oppurtunity to).

Dumba is a defenseman. Phillips didn't develop here because we can't develop offense. Zucker is an anomaly but he also took 3 years and kept being sent down. There were also rumors he was very disgruntled at the time with the organization.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
See: Coyle, Charlie. Also Zucker plays a solid two-way game. It's his speed that makes him a dangerous offensive threat but when drafted, no one expected him to be an offensive threat. I am surprised we haven't reigned that in a bit.

Yeah, I can definitely see that. "Jason, stop scoring so many damn goals!".

We should move Granlund out to wing. And he has struggled to translate over his scoring game here to the NA game.

Maybe if we weren't so wing heavy that might be an option. But it's not, because then we'll have to ask other players to play center and you'll ***** about us neutering their offense.

Yes it is. He was a Koivu clone and the reason why we moved him to center. We ask our centers to be defensively responsible.

No, it's not. Every team asks for some level of defensive responsibility out of their centers.

He was smart but he wasn't a defensive liability. I'll find some reports later but I know that Granlund being a good two-way player was one of the reasons we picked him.

So, in addition to being a top flight offensive prospect, the fact that he wasn't a trainwreck in his own zone means that we picked him with the idea of turning him into a defense-first player? I don't buy it.

Dumba is a defenseman. Phillips didn't develop here because we can't develop offense. Zucker is an anomaly but he also took 3 years and kept being sent down. There were also rumors he was very disgruntled at the time with the organization.

He has also gone out of his way to praise the organization, with the benefit of hindsight, for how he was handled. As has pretty much every commentator who talked about him last year.

Last edited:

J22*

im crossing my fingers our coaches can teach lucia to play 2 way / better D game. i am worried he did not score 40 points last season which would have kept him on development pace with bjugstad (in my book). i still think at #20 white & ek erickson are too conservative picks. im still gung ho on sprong or beauvillier or a falling star.

Lucia's numbers compare very well to what Anders Lee did at Notre Dame. Lee just had a 25 goal 41 point rookie season.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Sprong is what we need. Lack of highend guys. And we should take a flyer on Garland.

Agreed on getting high end guys. It would suck to have our first round pick "bust", but if Sprong or Guryanov pan out, they are what we need.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Gotta think the Russian they are talking about could be Guryanov. I hope at least that's who and not Samsonov.

PariseNation

I hope so
Apr 15, 2014
Twin Cities
Hey guys, i'm finally back. What a brutal never-ending offseason for us Wild fans.

Who should I be excited about tomorrow that might fall in our hands?
Last year for me it was Fiala, Larkin, Milano, Pastrnak, Fabbri, etc.

Gimme some names!

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Soderberg to Colorado for a 6th. I think the Avs will be happy with that trade.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
It's the rights to Soderberg. That's why it was a 6th, which wasn't Colorado's to begin with. It was Boston's.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Gotta think the Russian they are talking about could be Guryanov. I hope at least that's who and not Samsonov.
No way in hell does Fletcher ever take a goaltender in the first round. He views the position as easy to fill in many different ways, and wouldn't take one that high.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Lebrun has reported that they've already made headway on a deal with Soderberg. He could be signed tomorrow.
Then the value is incredible for a 6th.
No way in hell does Fletcher ever take a goaltender in the first round. He views the position as easy to fill in many different ways, and wouldn't take one that high.

I hope you're right. So do you think they were talking about Guryanov?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I believe he's referring to the comments some Wild brass, Flahr mostly, have made about the prospect of drafting Russian/Eastern European players.

When I read the whole article, I got the impression that those who play in the CHL "especially" have that fear of risk removed, but due to the NHL/KHL current situation, they feel that risk is very low now as well and are more open in "general" to those types of players.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I think they are preparing us for a Russian/Eastern European pick in the first round. Gotta think it's Guryanov or Svechnikov. Guryanov>Svech in goal scoring and our high end RW need. I'm not sure any of Merkley/White/Eriksson Ek/etc make it to us.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think they are preparing us for a Russian/Eastern European pick in the first round. Gotta think it's Guryanov or Svechnikov. Guryanov>Svech in goal scoring and our high end RW need. I'm not sure any of Merkley/White/Eriksson Ek/etc make it to us.
It may not be a first rounder, it could be a 2nd rounder... either way, I don't think it's Samsonov.

They feel there are several Russians and Eastern Europeans that are high quality players, and it's been a while since the Wild have felt that way. They're just letting us know is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad