Speculation: 2015 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Well, with the 2014-2015 NHL season nearly upon us, one of the biggest events of the NHL season is coming closer and closer.

The 2015 NHL Draft.

BBT-Center.jpg

This year's draft is hosted at the BB&T center in Sunrise, Florida - home of the Florida Panthers. On June 26th and 27th, hundreds of team executives, players, their families, and their agents will descend to one of the most beautiful and exotic areas represented in the NHL. Every single team will have someone in their hearts and minds, a player who they hope will become the centerpiece of their franchise for years and years to come.

Alex-Tuch-Photo-Tom-Sorensen.jpg

A few short months ago the Minnesota Wild took power forward Alex Tuch with their first round pick, bolstering our pipeline with a fantastic winger who can slot in under any role and seemingly excel. This year, we as fans have a lot to look forward to. Having traded away no draft picks thus far, along with adding a Vancouver Canucks 7th rounder, the Wild has a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 7th round picks to pick gems. Who could these guys be? Read on:

McDavid_AB1_5831.jpg

Top of the list is Connor McDavid, a Canadian center who has been hailed as the best prospect since Stamkos, Tavares, or even Crosby. He's got good size, is fast on his feet, and has vision on par with the best of them. He scores goals and piles up assists while helping everyone on the team around him and is almost guaranteed to bring a bottom feeder team to the top in just a few short years. NHL.com had a wonderful post on him a few weeks ago:
In March 2012 McDavid (6-foot, 185 pounds) was granted exceptional player status by Hockey Canada to be eligible for the 2012 OHL draft as a 15-year-old. Less than a month later Erie made him the first pick of the draft and he went on to win the OHL Rookie of the Year award in 2012-13. Last season he was fourth in the OHL in scoring with 99 points (28 goals, 71 assists) in 56 regular-season games, and he has 53 goals and 165 points in 119 OHL games. He also earned a spot with Canada at the 2014 IIHF World Junior Championship, becoming the sixth 16-year-old to play for Canada at the WJC, following Sidney Crosby, Eric Lindros, Jason Spezza, Jay Bouwmeester and Wayne Gretzky.

062514eichel.jpg

The best American prospect since Patrick Kane, Boston University's Jack Eichel is an electrifying centerman who has the potential to bring a franchise to the top. He played on a line with our very own stud RW prospect Alex Tuch last year with the USNDTP and is going to be one of the best players in college hockey this year. From the same NHL.com link as above,
Eichel (6-1, 191), a likely participant in the All-American Prospects Game, led the United States National Team Development Program Under-18 team with 32 goals and 71 points in 43 games despite being the youngest player on the team. He played for the United States at the 2014 WJC and had five points in five games.

Hanifin_Noah.jpg

The top defender of the draft is, much to my personal pleasure, another American stud prospect. Noah Hanifin is a big, physical defender who can shoot the puck and carry it from one end of the ice to the other. He is a fitness freak - a guy who spends hours and hours in the gym and working his butt off during the off-season. He is good friends with our young stallion Center/RW, Charlie Coyle, and they work out and play together back in Massachusetts in the summer.

Yes, both Eichel and Hanifin are Massachusetts natives. Let's hope this doesn't become a trend. Minnesota might be losing our top spot. Other top Americans are either from the area or are committed to playing NCAA hockey there in just a few short years:
There are several high-caliber performers to watch from the United States National Team Development Program. Among them are defenseman Noah Hanifin (6-2, 200), right wing Colin White (6-foot, 178) and left wing Jordan Greenway (6-4, 214). Hanifin is committed to Boston College in 2015-16, White to Boston College in 2016-17 and Greenway to Boston University in 2015-16.

Greenway_Jordan5.jpg

Beyond the top three, the list is pretty wide open. Islanders' prospect Ryan Strome has a younger brother, Dylan, who is near the top of every list. Mathew Barzal and Mitch Marner are two Canadian forwards almost always listed up there as well. European players such as Oliver Kylington, Pavel Zacha, and Mikko Rantanen give hope to their respective countries to represent them well.

PICTURES-2013092821_4.JPG

This draft is lauded as being one of the deepest in several years. Projected with fantastic high end potential and talented high-caliber players being available well into the second round, the 2015 draft is one that could go down in the record books as being a great one. Could this be the best draft since the famous 2003 draft?

Nobody really knows, but it is going to be close.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I will scouting several NCAA games so I'll throw my two cents on guys like Eichel, Hanifan (both who we have no chance), Greer, Werenski, and a bunch of USA U-18 dudes. Will also catch my love child at BC with Tuch.

Last edited:

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Bittner would be a Minnesota pick haha. I'm north sure about his defensive game can someone folk me in? I know he has done good offensive upside and he is really good sized

Only saw him a few games when he was a 16-year old rookie in the WHL. This was 2 years ago ... but he looked like a solid all-round player. Great puck potection game, skates well, hard to beat off the puck, flashes of offensive skill. But he lacked tenacity, which you want from a budding 6-4 powerforward espicially from a guy who isn't a dangler/sniper. All the tools to be an all-round powerforward in your top six, just needed that extra jump to be clearer 1st liner.

But again, 2 years ago. :)

GinoLucia2217

Great Plains
Dec 1, 2013
Probably Minnesota
Only saw him a few games when he was a 16-year old rookie in the WHL. This was 2 years ago ... but he looked like a solid all-round player. Great puck potection game, skates well, hard to beat off the puck, flashes of offensive skill. But he lacked tenacity, which you want from a budding 6-4 powerforward espicially from a guy who isn't a dangler/sniper. All the tools to be an all-round powerforward in your top six, just needed that extra jump to be clearer 1st liner.

But again, 2 years ago. :)

Oh man would that he amazing for him to have the size with an offensive game like Rick Nash and be able to play some defense to go along with it! But he still needs to work hard Something that may hurt Devante Smith-Pelly

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
I want some skill upfront! Not another power forward. If our young dmen stick then we can focus a little more on drafting forwards higher, while still focusing on dmen and goalies on the other rounds

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
Are there any Shea Weber/Chara like players in the draft? Meaning tough and nasty D-man, who can play the body, clear the crease, drop the gloves when necessary and is defensively sound.

I still believe the Wild need some size and nastiness on the Blueline, but it has to be a player with skill too.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I want some skill upfront! Not another power forward. If our young dmen stick then we can focus a little more on drafting forwards higher, while still focusing on dmen and goalies on the other rounds

Agreed. Our U25 core of defensemen is pretty legit, and goes 8 deep with current NHLers and guys that have a legit shot to make it there; in the same fashion, we have very good size on the wings with Nino, Coyle, Tuch, Lucia and even a guy like Bulmer could be included if he gets his act together.

Skilled centers would be my #1 priority (aren't they everybody's though, I guess).

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i figure we'll pick somewhere in the 20's next summer. probably lots to chose from but nic roy looks interesting to me. i was thinking m rantanen but i read hes not a good skater. nic roy rw is 6'3" 190, espn insider says hes got high end skills , good skater , but not very threatening off the puck.

Last edited:

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
Still angry we didn't go get Milano last year. He is going to be a player.

So this year I hope we get a player like him. Doubtful where we will be picking... but a guy can dream.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Honestly aside form the top 2-3 guys at this juncture its waaaaay to early to tell whats going to happen.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Some of the top prospects are off to great starts this year.

Connor McDavid and Dylan Strome both have 18 points in 6 games thus far. Jack Eichel has four points in one game so far. By all accounts, Noah Hanifin has looked good.

Lots and lots of promising guys thus far.

Here are a few very early rankings:
Hockeyprospects.com
Draftsite.com
MyNHLDraft.com

Some promising guys projected to be in our range (18+)
Kyle Connor
Daniel Sprong
Ryan Pilon
Jordan Greenway
Thomas Novak
Paul Bittner

Jordan Greenway seems like a true power forward beast. Just a massive guy who can shoot. Probably would be a bit redundant with what we have, but man that would be cool.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Some of the top prospects are off to great starts this year.

Connor McDavid and Dylan Strome both have 18 points in 6 games thus far. Jack Eichel has four points in one game so far. By all accounts, Noah Hanifin has looked good.

Lots and lots of promising guys thus far.

Here are a few very early rankings:
Hockeyprospects.com
Draftsite.com
MyNHLDraft.com

Some promising guys projected to be in our range (18+)
Kyle Connor
Daniel Sprong
Ryan Pilon
Jordan Greenway
Thomas Novak
Paul Bittner

Jordan Greenway seems like a true power forward beast. Just a massive guy who can shoot. Probably would be a bit redundant with what we have, but man that would be cool.

But is Greenway DYNAMIC?

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I just want a player that's dymanic. If he's not dynamic then we have no need for such individual.

Dynamic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad