Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Thomas Novak:

Eliteprospects:
A highly skilled playmaking center with first-rate "hockey sense" and puckhandling ability. Creates energy through being an offensively dominant presence. Plays an up-tempo game that can catch a lot of defencemen off guard; excellent skater. Will need to gain size and strength; otherwise, with his skillset, there is nothing barring him from becoming a prolific scorer at the next level.

Redline: http://www.redlinereport.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Thomas-Novak-draft-spotlight.pdf

Him and Brock Boeser (both rated about late 1st/early 2nd round picks) play on the same team in the USHL. Top 15 in scoring... Not too far off from Kyle Connor

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Strome
I think he's more of a project than some realize, he'd be best served spending a year or two more developing after being drafted.
He has great vision and playmaking abilities, but other than that he's an extremely average player right now. In my opinion, Marner is currently better, but if Strome can improve his skating and shooting he'll be great at the next level.

I agree with you on Strome. I recently watched a few of his "good games" on HS and wasn't that impressed. On the positive side, he has great offensive instincts, vision, patience, and passing ability. But he's also slow transitional skater and a slow skater period. He has to make these slow wide circle turns to change directions, like a cruise liner trying to change course. He also is not the most engaged player I've ever seen. He's not the type of guy who's going to go in and make things happen, he's more opportunistic cerebral guy, waiting for soft spots to open up (which can be a good thing or a bad thing). I don't see him being a dynamic or explosive offensive player. That's just not his game. Defensively, I would have liked to see him compete more and show more jam. I guess part of it is skating and strength (which he also needs to improve on). There are times when there's a 50/50 puck right there up for grabs, and he just can't get it, either from lack of speed, or desire, or both. Having said that, he's the kind of guy who could get a lot better with just a little bit of work (and by all accounts he's a high character kid with a good work ethic). If he can improve his skating to the extent that Connor Brown did, and add strength without losing agility, you can't teach 6'3 or vision, and he's a no doubt centre with his faceoff abilities.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Possibility to get Floridas first in a Kessel trade?

Let's say leafs get #5, #10, #20 overall.

5 Strome
10 Barzal
20 Meier

Those are players I'm looking at. Who would you take at those spots?

I would go:

5 Marner / Strome
10 Meier / Provorov
20 Harkins / Konecny

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
I agree with most of the sentiments here. I like Marner better than Strome as well. Even though he will be a winger, I feel he's just a special prospect. Hands, skating, hockey iq, drive, 200 foot player. The only knock on him is his size and I honestly don't see that being too much of an issue once he fills out.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Thomas Novak:

Eliteprospects:

Redline: http://www.redlinereport.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Thomas-Novak-draft-spotlight.pdf

Him and Brock Boeser (both rated about late 1st/early 2nd round picks) play on the same team in the USHL. Top 15 in scoring... Not too far off from Kyle Connor

Trying to find info on him. There's a lot of high praise coming to him by people who watch him regularly. Highly skilled, finesse player is what I've read. Can't find any videos.

Think he grew a bit over the past year. He's listed as 6'1 by Button, who has him 18 on his list.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
for all this talk of being best draft since 03 why does it feel like were not getting a stud at 5? from reports on Strome I'd say in last years draft he'd come in behind ehlers, nylander, ritchie, virtanen at maybe 10th or in that range.. am i way off? are we better off trading down from 5 and getting more value picks?

i don't see these guys play enough to form my own opinion

can anyone do a top 10 and their comparables and projection?

McJesus- Crosby 10A+
Eichel - Getzlaf? Thorton? 9.5B
Hanifin -
Marner - theo fleury?
Strome -
Werenski-
Provorov-
Crouse-
Barzal- i like this kid

In last years draft I think Strome would have challenged Reinhart for 2nd overall, he's a better prospect than Draisaitl IMHO.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Trying to find info on him. There's a lot of high praise coming to him by people who watch him regularly. Highly skilled, finesse player is what I've read. Can't find any videos.

Think he grew a bit over the past year. He's listed as 6'1 by Button, who has him 18 on his list.

Found this post:

Thomas Novak

Offensive zone ability: B
Offensive transition ability: B
Puck movement and possession retention: B
Defensive transition ability: B-
Defensive zone ability: C+

Defense: positional
Offense: cerebral

Keywords, unique identity traits: playmaking, skill, vision, puck-support
Room for improvement: needs to fill out his frame, can be prone to forcing a pass in the offensive zone

Full analysis:
Thomas Novak is a mid sized center that still has room to fill out his frame, he displays high-end vision, puck-handling ability and plays as a playmaker on the line while also boasting good overall mobility and elusiveness. Despite being primarily a skilled playmaker, he also shows the ability to be a plus player in all three zones and isn't shy when getting his nose dirty, although it's not really his M.O. to be a grit player as he prefers to weave through traffic with his high-end puck skills and dictate the play with his playmaking, making passes to his teammates then getting open for a return pass.

As a playmaker he is capable of both making pinpoint accurate passes for scoring opportunities as well as supporting the play all over the ice by making simple plays that drive the play forward. In that respect he does show good understanding of the flow of the game and will make himself available as an easy passing option in all three zones by reading what the puck-carrier is doing and providing himself as an option to sustain zone time or to gain entry.

This is also evident in the defensive zone, where he comes back in to support his teammates and aid with the breakouts as he shows willingness to involve himself defensively and help out by reading and reacting with his hockey IQ. However, being mid-sized at best, he doesn't really have the capability to utilize his body to battle with bigger players at this point in time. That said, he has developed solid positioning and stick ability and does a good job of being helpful that way and can also create turnovers with his understanding of how the plays unfold on ice and his stick ability.

With the puck on his stick he will make simple plays that drive the play forward coming out of his zone by processing the game naturally and understanding whether he has to make a simple pass or by making a move himself if required. His vision and puck-handling ability in combination with elusiveness allow him to weave through opponents and move the play forward. He utilizes that same skill and vision to maintain zone time as he will use his teammates to make simple give-and-go plays that show off his ability to read the play and will intermix that with holding on to the puck for longer periods of time, as his elusiveness and skill allows him to do so if required.

He is capable of making the "final" pass into space or to his teammate for scoring opportunities when the space for a play like that opens up. However at this point he can still be prone to forcing a pass like that looking for scoring chances even when they might not be there, which can result in give-aways. While the occasional giveaway is natural for a player of his calibre, those plays can back-fire exponentially at higher levels of hockey. While he does show good elusiveness and puck-handling to fend off opponents, he still has room to grow and that should aid him with puck-protection at the next level. For his playmaking to work, it will also be beneficial for him to start thinking shot more often so that he can have more deception in his game, that is something that will probably be required at the next level, as pass only players can be too easy to play against if they never show the drive to be a scorer even if only to further open up ice.

I would say Novak probably projects as a 2nd line center at the high end of his potential, if not, a more conservative projection would be a middle six skilled playmaking forward that isn't deficient defensively. For him to be a 2nd line center at the NHL level, he would probably have to fill out his frame and display more drive to get his shot off on a consistent level.

Development focus: Developmentally for Novak, filling out his frame should really aid him as he transitions to higher levels of hockey as that will be required to keep sustaining his offensive zone time. He has good balance and elusiveness but a filled-out frame should help so that he doesn't get pushed around or too easily swatted off the puck at the wall as well as in battling defensively against bigger players. Even more importantly showing his shot more often would really benefit him and open ice up further both to pass as well as to actually shoot.

Projection: I'd project Novak as a middle six skilled playmaking forward, probably more a center than a winger and if he reaches the high-end of his potential, I'd say 2nd line center and PP option is a possibility.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
With the Leafs getting a 26-30 pick. 28th CSB ranked Brock Boeser is very nice prospect. A right winger with size, speed, scoring touch with a terrific release.

He would make a nice winger for a good playmaking Center like Dylan Strome.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
@ Pick #1
1) McDavid
2) Eichel
3) Hanifin
4) Marner
5) Werenski
6) Provorov
7) Strome
8) Barzal

@ Pick #2
Svechnikov or Konecny would be unreal.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
A guy who's been quite overlooked at the second area is prolly Antohy Beauvillier, he's been putting up some good numbers, not a big size talent, but he has good offensive instincts. He needs to work on his frame and back check IMO.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Would be awesome to make a trade with Edmonton for their 1st rounder (2nd overall), grab Eichel. Then trade Kessel for a package including another first rounder in the top 10 and take Werenski/Provorov

Ace88*

Ok people can stop saying Beauvillier is slept on or Beauvillier is overlooked, we've had like 50 posts in this thread all saying that lol

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Others we can prolly take a look at later on is Cameron Askew, also a guy who I personally think will break out if we give him time and if conditions are met is Keoni Texiera of the portland winterhawks, he's not a big ass dude by any means, but there's something about him I like.

Also if we want a fiala...let's get EVAN FIALA! :sarcasm:

Specter

Feb 15, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Just checked him out after you guys brought him up here and he's pretty impressive. We could really use a guy like him, who plays all three zones. He's also got pretty good size at center. I think he's underrated due to playing for Prince George. Bergeron is a good comparison. I could also see him being like an Alex Steen.

I could see the Steen comparison as well, except he's great in the dot so let's hope he turns out a centre if we draft him

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I'm actually more keen on Yan, If we're talking about Shawinigan players.

Would like either of them though.

Last edited:

Specter

Feb 15, 2015
Ontario, Canada
I know a lot of people are high on Strome, but what about Barzal? Strome's point production has hinged largely on McDavid being in the lineup to take on the opposition's top D. Without him in the lineup, Strome's numbers are far closer to Barzal's. Not to mention Erie has a much better lineup than Seattle.

One aspect (which leads to more than one) where Barzal has the advantage, is his speed. The guy is freaking fast, which really helps him out on the backcheck. Something that Strome seems to be not as strong at. Now Strome can always improve on his skating, but I'm not sure he'll ever be as quick as Barzal.

He's ranked 9th right now, but I wouldn't be surprised if he climbs his way up as the season progresses.

I'm with you on this one, IMHO he would have been a top 5 pick without the injury. If Mcdavid, Eichel and Hannifin are off the board and we're in the 4 or 5 spot, I hope we trade down to draft him while accumulating other assets. I'm sure Marner will be good but I don't think we need any undersized wingers, and I'd be happy to get Strome, I just don't see a difference between them other than the fact strome has the size and Barzal is 5'11. However, Barzal is a way better skater and his compete level is through the roof. His size isn't all that bad anyway, same size as Crosby, and also as a guy I think he plays a lot like...Burnaby Joe

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I'm with you on this one, IMHO he would have been a top 5 pick without the injury. If Mcdavid, Eichel and Hannifin are off the board and we're in the 4 or 5 spot, I hope we trade down to draft him while accumulating other assets. I'm sure Marner will be good but I don't think we need any undersized wingers, and I'd be happy to get Strome, I just don't see a difference between them other than the fact strome has the size and Barzal is 5'11. However, Barzal is a way better skater and his compete level is through the roof. His size isn't all that bad anyway, same size as Crosby, and also as a guy I think he plays a lot like...Burnaby Joe

really now people are looking at barzal!? :laugh:

Yea I'm very high on barzal and would take him over strome without even thinking twice. There has been talk about him being close to the second coming of joe sakic at times but not that I can see it, he does have similar skill set yes.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
If there is a team that would be smart to pick him up it' would be hands down Florida...tallon has an eye for these guys. He's also sort of like rielly, injured but if he was healthy would've been rated higher.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
You can't really go wrong with pick 3-5 for us, as all of Strome, Hanifin and Marner would be exceptional additions to our pool. What would be nightmarish though is if Morrison sees some lists with Crouse absurdly high and we draft him at 4 or 5. I would be so F***ing mad.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
You can't really go wrong with pick 3-5 for us, as all of Strome, Hanifin and Marner would be exceptional additions to our pool. What would be nightmarish though is if Morrison sees some lists with Crouse absurdly high and we draft him at 4 or 5. I would be so F***ing mad.

Drafting Crouse scares me too. Seems like such a Nonis-Burke pick. Would take him with our NSH 1st if he's there but not in the 3-6 spot.

But I think Shanny/Hunter have been/are going to draft skill over size (at least I hope so).

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007

Drafting Nylander over Ritchie last year shows that Shanahan will likely go with skill over size.

I have no doubt they'd take Strome or Marner over Crouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad