2015 NHL Draft Prospect Discussion - At the 5/8 Mark of the Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I said best prospect since Crosby, I never said he was as good. I think what separates McDavid and Tavares is that there are currently no question marks about Connor really, where as people often questioned John's skating.

Ah my bad I misread that, apologies my friend. Agreed but even then it was a very small thing IMO that people were crazed about on Tavares's weakness.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Ah my bad I misread that, apologies my friend. Agreed but even then it was a very small thing IMO that people were crazed about on Tavares's weakness.

No worries! And yeah I think it was just one of those things where he was around so long that people almost started started 'making up' weaknesses in there head. But to my point, people still did question some of his abilities, where McDavid hasn't been questioned much in any regard.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I would pick:
Strome
Provorov
Meier

You're looking at a top C, top pairing D prospect, and a top-6 scoring/physical W.

TheJet11

Nov 8, 2013
I wouldn't mind the Buds taking a flier on Conor Garland with a later-round pick (3rd/4th Round?). The kid is 5'8" and got passed over in last years draft, but is now leading the CHL In scoring playing for Moncton in the Q.

Little american kid has some serious skill apparently. Haven't seen him play, if he's anther Kozun type of player, it wouldn't hurt to use one of our later picks to hope we can catch lightning in a (little) bottle!

Anyone seen the guy play? Thoughts?!

Looney Toonies

May 30, 2012
Canada
Take a look at Defensemen Justin Lemcke on Belleville. Looks like a late 2nd or after pick. Big guy that skates very well, effective on the big ice in Belleville, plays a shutdown type of game but can really shoot it so the offence may come as he develops and grows into his body more! Plays a safe game, good mobility and makes an effective safe first pass but has just average puck skills at the moment. Like you won't see him make an end to end rush. But he knows his game and plays it well! Feel he could be a good bottom pairing guy at the next level...

Lemcke is pretty much everything you stated very good in his own end, very quick active stick. But really lacks high end speed but you can tell he really didn't need it due to his positioning. Also has a bit of a mean streak, hit when the play came to him, didn't ever jump up when he shouldn't have, and was involved in every post whistle scrum, he essentially chased a Kitchener forward when he hacked the goalie a tad too late haha. Also not a bad breakout pass, always on target and made the safe play.

The player that most impressed me was #44 Frank Hora from Kitchener. Almost a mould of Lemcke, but hit like a truck, really good in his own end, broke up many cycles in his end. Dropped the mitts with Gustavsen who just held on for dear life the entire time(big mismatch in size).

David Tomasek was my standout for the Bulls. Kid has wheels and scored a highlight end to end rush. Needs a lot of work but definetely showed flashes of top end potential.

Both Hora and Tomasek were undrafted last year. So I guess I'm not very good at this one day scouting thing haha.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

I've kept quiet about Svechnikov so far, but I'm a big fan (so is Vor, he's been pumping him for a while).

I just honestly don't expect him to be available barring any changes. I think taking him at our pick is too high and Nashville's pick will be too low to grab him unless we're really lucky.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
No worries! And yeah I think it was just one of those things where he was around so long that people almost started started 'making up' weaknesses in there head. But to my point, people still did question some of his abilities, where McDavid hasn't been questioned much in any regard.

Agreed. If we were only that lucky....we could land him or mcdavid. In his draft year it was tavares or nothing for me lol :laugh:

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I've kept quiet about Svechnikov so far, but I'm a big fan (so is Vor, he's been pumping him for a while).

I just honestly don't expect him to be available barring any changes. I think taking him at our pick is too high and Nashville's pick will be too low to grab him unless we're really lucky.

He's an incredible prospect but the russian prospect will always play a thing on his shoulder, so maybe we can get lucky and take advantage of that but freaking tampa won't be shy about it and grab him if possible.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I know...it would be nice to get a center that has full top line potential though. Once :laugh: I always approach the best player approach too.

Well Shanny just better make sure they're bad enough next season to be in the Matthews running.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
What's the skinny on this Kyle Connor? Button has been raving about him saying he has 1C potential. Might be a good option if we can get a pick around 15.

EDIT: after reading up on him he sounds like a Dylan Larkin clone.

Last edited:

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Why are people underrating Eichel?

He's just below McDavid, and considerably higher than everyone else in this draft, in my opinion.

Oh my god if all it takes is Phaneuf to move up and draft Eichel the Leafs better be allllllll over that.

Would be a franchise altering move.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Hmmm, I think he may drop into the 20's because of size concerns and because this is such a strong year. We don't know where the Nashville pick will end up exactly but if they go out in the first two rounds of the playoffs, it might be around 25. Roy might be one of those surprise fallers that seem to occur every year and reach that range. I don't say it's likely that Roy will be around for the Nashville-Leafs pick, but I do see it as a possibility.

Personally, I think it's his so-so first step quickness that is placing him in the later stages of the first round on some lists. He's the same size as Provorov and Kylington, whom I haven't seen ranked outside the top 15.

Oskar The Groucho

Oct 2, 2009
Barrie
I don't think defensemen get the normal accolades that forwards do - as they are not as accounted to for offensive production. Besides Bobby Orr, you don't hear much about "generational defensemen".

I agree but why not? Its seems always that they go 3rd - 5th overall all the time. Its just weird is all

RiellyGood

Oct 21, 2002
Visit site
for all this talk of being best draft since 03 why does it feel like were not getting a stud at 5? from reports on Strome I'd say in last years draft he'd come in behind ehlers, nylander, ritchie, virtanen at maybe 10th or in that range.. am i way off? are we better off trading down from 5 and getting more value picks?

i don't see these guys play enough to form my own opinion

can anyone do a top 10 and their comparables and projection?

McJesus- Crosby 10A+
Eichel - Getzlaf? Thorton? 9.5B
Hanifin -
Marner - theo fleury?
Strome -
Werenski-
Provorov-
Crouse-
Barzal- i like this kid

Jul 10, 2003
KW

He's typically ranked around 20 on most lists, when you take into account "Russian factor" it's not a stretch at all they he coup be there in the mid 20's.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Never seen him live, but I'm really liking what I'm seeing in videos and reading about Nick Merkley.

Great playmaker. Small, but feisty.

Fits the 'Hunter' mold that has been overused the past couple of days.

Listed as a C, but he's actually a winger.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
There really aren't bad picks in the first round of this draft aside from a few guys... it's really hard to believe how strong and deep this draft is. Hoping the Leafs can grab another first and a second.

I watch Konecny alot here in Ottawa. A lot of teams are gonna kick themselves in the ass for passing on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad