2015 NHL Draft Prospect Discussion - At the 5/8 Mark of the Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 10, 2003
KW
Drafting Crouse scares me too. Seems like such a Nonis-Burke pick. Would take him with our NSH 1st if he's there but not in the 3-6 spot.

But I think Shanny/Hunter have been/are going to draft skill over size (at least I hope so).

Drafting Nylander over Ritchie last year shows that Shanahan will likely go with skill over size.

I have no doubt they'd take Strome or Marner over Crouse.

Personally I'm not convinced we wouldn't draft Crouse over Marner or Strome. I could see us targeting that type of player, a big power forward with intangibles.

We've kind of a got a first round pattern starting of drafting big one year, then go for skill the next. From that I get a hunch we're going with a bigger player, and considering most of our skill guys are on the smaller/medium size we do need some size in the top end of our line up. Some size to compliment Rielly on D, or some size up front to go with Nylander or Kadri.

I could see Crouse, Rantanen, and Werenski being up there on our radar, they are all big players with strong skating abilities, not Gauthier like at all. That said, I can see why our fanbase wants Marner or Barzal, the skill picks are looking a lot better than the size picks.

Schenn - size
Kadri - skill
Biggs/Percy - size/skill
Rielly - skill
Gauthier - size
Nylander - skill

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Personally I'm not convinced we wouldn't draft Crouse over Marner or Strome. I could see us targeting that type of player, a big power forward with intangibles...but I think Werenski would be in that mix for our scouts as well.

We've kind of a got a first round pattern starting of drafting big one year, then go for skill the next. From that I get a hunch we're going with a bigger player, and considering most of our skill guys are on the smaller/medium size we do need some size in the top end of our line up. Some size to compliment Rielly on D, or some size up front to go with Nylander or Kadri.

I could see Crouse, Rantanen, and Werenski being up there on our radar, they are all big players with strong skating abilities, not Gauthier like at all. That said, I can see why our fanbase wants Marner or Barzal, the skill picks are looking a lot better than the size picks.

Schenn - size
Kadri - skill
Biggs/Percy - size/skill
Rielly - skill
Gauthier - size
Nylander - skill

Picks prior to 2014 are irrelevant.

Brendan Shanahan and Mark Hunter will run the draft now. Completely new management. Shanahan showed last draft that he would make picks based on skill and not size.

The only big forwards they drafted in 2014 were Dakota Joshua and Pierre Engvall. Both are skilled and drafted later in the draft.

There is no reason to think Shanahan and Hunter will take Crouse over Strome or Marner.

Especially given Mark Hunter's close relationship with Marner.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Personally I'm not convinced we wouldn't draft Crouse over Marner or Strome. I could see us targeting that type of player, a big power forward with intangibles.

Schenn - size
Kadri - skill
Biggs/Percy - size/skill
Rielly - skill
Gauthier - size
Nylander - skill

I wouldnt read into that pattern at all...

Even if it were a pattern that was being done on purpose Morrison is not gonna be calling the shots on this draft Hunter is.

I would say if we are in top 5 Strome will be the target... I know Marner is a knight but they are going to want the size to compliment Nylander up front. A team can only have so many skilled perimeter guys thats why Edmonton is failing. Hall Eberle Yakupov and RNH are all skilled perimeter guys especially on the powerplay. We need some inside presence. My feeling is it has to be Strome or Rantanen if its a forward. Provorov Barzal and Marner are definitely possibility's though.

Jul 10, 2003
KW

Even if it were a pattern that was being done on purpose Morrison is not gonna be calling the shots on this draft Hunter is.

I would say if we are in top 5 Strome will be the target... I know Marner is a knight but they are going to want the size to compliment Nylander up front. A team can only have so many skilled perimeter guys thats why Edmonton is failing. Hall Eberle Yakupov and RNH are all skilled perimeter guys especially on the powerplay. We need some inside presence. My feeling is it has to be Strome or Rantanen if its a forward. Provorov Barzal and Marner are definitely possibility's though.

The need for size is there both up front, and on the blueline, we both agree on that.

I don't know that our scouts would take Strome tbh, I question if he's got the skating and compete that I think we'll be looking for in a top 5 pick.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland

Strome is JVR type player, quite big but doesn't play that sound physical game to take his skills to the next level. My money is on Marner, I have been very high on this kid throughout the year and I think he has that killer instinct to get the job done, while Strome isn't that type of a player. Definitely skilled but he lacks something that makes players like Toews, Getzlaf, Kopitar, Bergeron elite.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Picks prior to 2014 are irrelevant.

Brendan Shanahan and Mark Hunter will run the draft now. Completely new management. Shanahan showed last draft that he would make picks based on skill and not size.

The only big forwards they drafted in 2014 were Dakota Joshua and Pierre Engvall. Both are skilled and drafted later in the draft.

There is no reason to think Shanahan and Hunter will take Crouse over Strome or Marner.

Especially given Mark Hunter's close relationship with Marner.

Shanahan himself, being a former a big power forward 2nd overall pick who lived up to expectations, would be partial to such a player? He'd also appreciate the importance of such a player...

Bps21*

McDavid will never end up a leaf and here is why

Connor McDavid is has a big $ sign on his head. He is the type of player that could save a franchise from going bankrupt. Much like one Sidney Crosby did for Pittsburgh. Even if Toronto finished dead last in the league, there's no way Bettman will allow McDavid to go to Toronto who already makes as much money as they do a year. Toronto doesn't financially need McDavid to survive as a business. But Mcdavid could certainly save Arz, Buffalo or Carolina from their current financial woes. Say what you want. But at the end of the day the nhl is a business. And I personally believe that if Mcdavid could make a team losing money, make money. Then that's where he'll go. Just the same as Sidney went to Pittsburgh as they were going bankrupt.

What financial woes do you think Buffalo has?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Shanahan himself, being a former a big power forward 2nd overall pick who lived up to expectations, would be partial to such a player? He'd also appreciate the importance of such a player...

Shanahan won't be making those decisions once a new GM is in place. He is brought to oversee things, not micro manage.

I am not worried at all. If the Leafs had picked Nick Ritchie last year, I would have been worried about is picking Crouse.

It's Strome or Marner if we are in the top 5 and picking a F.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
More I've started watching, more I want Marner over Strome.Top 5 is no place to pick based on position.

IMO, Marner is the more talented player. The guy can flat out play. I wish he played centre more but if we draft him we have two Patrick Kane clones.

Nylander at C, Marner on wing.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I'd love to get to 3 and take Hanifin, but at 4 I'd definitely love to get my hands on the better overall talent in Marner. Kessel is gone this off season and Nylander and Marner will more then make up for that loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad