Prospect Info: 2015 NHL Draft - Pick #89 - Aleksi Saarela

MortUWary

Registered Loser
Jul 19, 2007
Finnish pro athletes including hockey players serve to urheilukoulu ( sport unit's name).
Urheilukoulu located in Lahti but Finnish defensive forces cut their budget and Lahti sport unit closed.
Now new sport unit is in Helsinki.

Serve time in urheilukoulu depends that what, military special training Saarela gets there.
Shortest serve time is 6 months and longest 12 months.

In urheilukoulu hockey players will get plenty time to use practice their hockey skills.
And if they have game with their liiga team, they can go play that game and after the game they return back to urheilukoulu.

Sounds made up :sarcasm:

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
What would the military duties be?

I think the army unit for athletes trains mostly scouts and light infantry. Basically stuff where you don't have to learn how to use complicated machinery but need to be in good physical shape.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Aleksi Saarela has chosen for, Finland's first world juniors evaluation camp roster.
This season in FEL, Saarela has scored 15 points ( 10 goals 5 assists) in 26 FEL regular season games ( his PPG is 0,57).

If Saarela stays healthy, he'll be locked for Finland's final world junior roster.
Team Finland world junior roster, will be announced 23rd December.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Aleksi Saarela has chosen for, Finland's first world juniors evaluation camp roster.
This season in FEL, Saarela has scored 15 points ( 10 goals 5 assists) in 26 FEL regular season games ( his PPG is 0,57).

If Saarela stays healthy, he'll be locked for Finland's final world junior roster.
Team Finland world junior roster, will be announced 23rd December.

Thank you for the info!

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
World juniors are played and Aleksi Saarela was one the best Finnish players.
He played really well in Finland's 3rd line left wing.

He scored 7 points ( 4 goals 3 assists) in 7 world junior games. PPG 1,00.
Also he was Finland's face-off leader Saarela won 63,89% his face-offs and he was 5th best face-off taker in tournament.

There's now some rumors that Saarela won't play FEL next season.
If those rumors are true Saarela is going to play Frölunda Gothenburg SHL team.

His father Pasi played there before his retirement.
It's still early to say nothing for Aleksi's NHL future but seems that he was a steal for Ny Rangers last summers draft.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
A big reason he fell was because of concussion concerns. The talent is there. Hopefully he holds up and stays healthy.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Aleksi Saarela recorded his last assist in world juniors to Finland's golden goal against Russia.
Kasperi Kapanen scored in time 61:33 and Finland's gold medal celebrations begin.

Here's the video of that goal.
Saarela is player who's wearing number 19 game jersey.

Look how he plays before Kapanen scores.
Russian goalie Georgiev had no chance to save that goal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5EmqkNkWb0
Sorry for that Finnish commentator i didn't found TSN version.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Saarela's stat line seems very nice this year. 7 points in 7 games in the WJC for Finland. 15 points in 27 games this season in Liiga. Already beat his point total on his Liiga team from last year. Don't want to get ahead of myself, but if he doesn't face many more injuries, he could be a very nice 3rd round pick once again for the Rangers.

What kind of player do you guys see him as? a goal scorer, a playmaker, a two-way forward, etc??

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
He is quite a versatile player. He is a natural C but can play as a winger as well. While defensive play has never been one of his major strengths, it's not a weakness either. He has recently shown a lot more tenacity and intensity in his play which have been perhaps a bit lacking in the past. He is strong and reasonably fast, but could be more agile.

He thinks the game at a high level and has great vision and creativity, but he also has a howitzer of a shot (his slapper was measured at 95mph just a few weeks ago). In my opinion he could be called a poor man's Zetterberg, but I've seen other comparisons as well (i.e. Parise, although I don't agree).

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
One of the more underrated things I've noticed about Saarela is how he LOVES positioning himself to shoot in the slot. He also was a strong forechecker in the WJC.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
One of the more underrated things I've noticed about Saarela is how he LOVES positioning himself to shoot in the slot. He also was a strong forechecker in the WJC.

We've been mentioning that he is not afraid to go to dirty areas. I agree with you and think this is one of the most likeable things about the guy....especially considering that he is under 6' tall.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Aleksi Saarela is injured again.
Saarela got minor upper body injury last Friday's Ässät HIFK FEL game.

Saarela's injury status is day to day and he should play this week if all goes well.
Also there's been some interest about Saarela's duties in NHL.

Last edited:

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
Aleksi Saarela is injured again.
Saarela got minor upper body injury last Friday's Ässät HIFK FEL game.

Saarela's injury status is day to day and he should play this week if all goes well.
Also there's been some interest about Saarela's duties in NHL.

We all want to know what this means!!

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
Actually thought it meant that there was speculation Saarela might consider coming over sooner rather than later.

That was my interpretation, too. If so, I think that would be an excellent idea. Get him over here, give him a look with the big club, and if he doesn't work out, he probably wouldn't have a problem with being sent down.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Little piece about Saarela's WJC: http://www.blueshirtsunited.com/article/saarela-finnish-people-will-remember-long-time

“A little bit,” Saarela said when asked about his confidence rising. “Biggest thing was noticing I could compete against the best U20 players in the world and in some cases be better than them.”

The 19-year-old said being reliable in all three zones is more important than putting up points. “It actually means more than scoring goals,” he said. “Ever since the draft, I have concentrated on becoming a better all-around player,” and added that he knows in order to compete in the National Hockey League, a player must be balanced and play in all types of situations if needed.

I dig it. :handclap: Also pretty cool that Saarela and Raanta's paths crossed in Finland.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Little piece about Saarela's WJC: http://www.blueshirtsunited.com/article/saarela-finnish-people-will-remember-long-time

“A little bit,†Saarela said when asked about his confidence rising. “Biggest thing was noticing I could compete against the best U20 players in the world and in some cases be better than them.â€

The 19-year-old said being reliable in all three zones is more important than putting up points. “It actually means more than scoring goals,†he said. “Ever since the draft, I have concentrated on becoming a better all-around player,†and added that he knows in order to compete in the National Hockey League, a player must be balanced and play in all types of situations if needed.

I dig it. :handclap: Also pretty cool that Saarela and Raanta's paths crossed in Finland.

HFNYR doesn't want complete, three zone players like Nash. We only want players who can score goals and more goals, or PMDs. No one else need apply. :sarcasm:

wloff

May 25, 2013
Saarela is in the lineup for tonight, so seems the injury wasn't too bad after all. One newspaper reported that they didn't find any fractures in his MRI scans - apparently that's all they were looking for.

Also, I have no idea what "interest in Saarela's duties in the NHL" means either :laugh: There have been strong rumors that he's not going to stay in Ässät after this season, and some Ässät fans are pretty pissed about it (especially if he moves to another Liiga team instead), idk if it has something to do with that. I guess it's possible that he could be planning to make the move over the pond this summer already.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
HFNYR doesn't want complete, three zone players like Nash. We only want players who can score goals and more goals, or PMDs. No one else need apply. :sarcasm:

I think any player who's playoff production is significantly worse than their regular season production would get criticized like Nash does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad