Prospect Info: 2015 NHL Draft - Pick #89 - Aleksi Saarela

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Jeff Skinner was once a concussion away from retirement. Not saying that Saarela = Skinner. Just pointing out that you never know. He might never have one ever again.

I thought very very highly of Skinner once, absolutely beautiful skater... but keeps getting caught with his head down. A real shame.

He's still one hit away... but since his last one Skinner seems to really play scared.

Don't blame him. He got a lifetime's worth of garunteed money at 21. Plays in a very comfortable place to live. Quality of life should be very high outside of concussion issues. I don't think he'll ever reach his potential again.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I think Saarela has more of a boom or bust possibility, though. Even though Skinner hasn't really lived up to his potential (due to many head injuries), he still is a solid NHL player. Think in Saarela's case, he either makes it or doesn't. I would think that Skinner is a bit of a reach in comparison. I would rather say he could be more of a Freddy Sjostrom type player, with way more added offense.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I think Saarela has more of a boom or bust possibility, though. Even though Skinner hasn't really lived up to his potential (due to many head injuries), he still is a solid NHL player. Think in Saarela's case, he either makes it or doesn't. I would think that Skinner is a bit of a reach in comparison. I would rather say he could be more of a Freddy Sjostrom type player, with way more added offense.

And that's a 3-4 year pro... nothing wrong with that for a late rounder.

I think the brass will just wait and see how they did with that Danish kid before walking away.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
And that's a 3-4 year pro... nothing wrong with that for a late rounder.

I think the brass will just wait and see how they did with that Danish kid before walking away.

Exactly!

The thing about the Danish guy (Thomas Spelling ;)) is that when he couldn't crack the line up in Rogle he gave up and went back to a lower level league to play. Think if Spelling stuck to the "outside of the comfort level" agenda, there would've been a completely different story with his future.

Saarela has a brighter future than Spelling, though.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Any CHL teams own his junior rights?

What's the best way for a kid like this to develop? In a men's league in Finland or with kids his age in the CHL?

Saarela stays in his FEL team ( Assat Pori) in upcoming season (2015-2016).
Saarela is undrafted in CHL, but he's drafted to KHL Jokerit Helsinki 1st round 41 overall 2014.

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I really wish this guy stays healthy in upcoming season.
Saarela might be Team Finland's 1st center to upcoming ( 2016) world juniors in Helsinki

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I really wish this guy stays healthy in upcoming season.
Saarela might be Team Finland's 1st center to upcoming ( 2016) world juniors in Helsinki

Same, I really like his upside. Like I've said before, he seems like that prototypical Duclair pick. Fingers crossed on this guy. :popcorn:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Exactly!

The thing about the Danish guy (Thomas Spelling ;)) is that when he couldn't crack the line up in Rogle he gave up and went back to a lower level league to play. Think if Spelling stuck to the "outside of the comfort level" agenda, there would've been a completely different story with his future.

Saarela has a brighter future than Spelling, though.

Yeah, like I said before, Spelling was just a real bad pick. That can happen when you pick someone playing outside the established leagues. The kid had a lot of natural talent, had he been born in Canada he could like have become a star. But his overall game just wasn't there.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Saarela didn't play in the U20's because of a knee injury. When he returned to Assat he got his clock cleaned by a hard hit by a scrub named Brian Salcido and it took him a while to get up.

He was dominant at the U18's which took place after the injuries and final CSB rankings came out. Marner had more concussions this season than Saarela did.

Tremendous talent. Best player they picked this season. He plays a heavy game, hits, gets dirty, will take a hit to get puck to safety or create a scoring chance.

If he has to change his style, it won't make him a worse prospect.

R2theDizzlE

Mar 28, 2014
Sound Beach, NY
That video sold me on him. I knew he had serious talent despite the injuries. Really hope he pans out for us. I like his game. That one time shot on the pass from Puljuvari was beautiful. The Rangers could really use that.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Keep in mind he played in the Liiga. Rantanen had 28 points in 56 games playing on lower lines until a promotion after the WJC. Saarela had 12 points in 51 games but he was hurt right after the WJC so a healthy Saarela probably scores a bit more.

Stats arent everything but he was a top talent until all the injuries.

BrianLeetch2

The Butcher
Oct 4, 2005
Toms River NJ
Keep in mind he played in the Liiga. Rantanen had 28 points in 56 games playing on lower lines until a promotion after the WJC. Saarela had 12 points in 51 games but he was hurt right after the WJC so a healthy Saarela probably scores a bit more.

Stats arent everything but he was a top talent until all the injuries.

I know its just the one video but you can see the skill is there......top end skill.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
The box score to the video did have Saarela at 2-1 on that game, but what the U18's didn't see was that he actually tipped in the 1st goal. Should've been credited for the hatty, but didn't.

The obvious talent is there and even though it was one video, I focused primarily on the goals against that he was on the ice for. He did pretty well defensively, but could use some work. Does play with tenacity, though.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I was a bit surprised that Saarela won't get pick in CHL import draft this summer.
Despite of his injuries, Saarela is still very skilled prospect, and talent is still there.

CHL would been excellent development league for Saarela.
But i understand why he'll stay in FEL.

Before Saarela show up to north america, he must perform his military service.
Finland's defensive forces and Finland's government decided earlier this year, pro athletes including pro hockey players won't get anymore postponement their military duties.

Only health issues are now good reason to get postponement for military duties in Finland.
Hopefully Saarela stays healthy and he shows his prime level in FEL and world juniors.
I'm sure that someday Saarela will be NY Rangers 1st centre in NHL.

Last edited:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
He wasn't picked because he didn't want to play in the CHL. Guys who are very good but don't want to play in the league get passed over all the time. :)

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I was a bit surprised that Saarela won't get pick in CHL import draft this summer.
Despite of his injuries, Saarela is still very skilled prospect, and talent is still there.

CHL would been excellent development league for Saarela.
But i understand why he'll stay in FEL.

Before Saarela show up to north america, he must perform his military service.
Finland's defensive forces and Finland's government decided earlier this year, pro athletes including pro hockey players won't get anymore postponement their military duties.

Only health issues are now good reason to get postponement for military duties in Finland.
Hopefully Saarela stays healthy and he shows his prime level in FEL and world juniors.
I'm sure that someday Saarela will be NY Rangers 1st centre in NHL.

What would the military duties be?

And I doubt the health reason will be enough to postpone his duties, they will just say "Well your healthy enough to be playing hockey so your healthy enough to do your military duties".

wloff

May 25, 2013
What would the military duties be?

And I doubt the health reason will be enough to postpone his duties, they will just say "Well your healthy enough to be playing hockey so your healthy enough to do your military duties".

Army boot camp and basic training, basically, for 6 months. It's mandatory for all Finnish men. Pro athletes get to serve in their own special "sports unit", and Saarela should get plenty of time off to attend some team practices and whatnot, but it's obviously still time off purely playing hockey.

He will learn to sweep the floor, make his bed, and make a really nice square out of his bedding, though. And shoot an assault rifle too, I guess.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Army boot camp and basic training, basically, for 6 months. It's mandatory for all Finnish men. Pro athletes get to serve in their own special "sports unit", and Saarela should get plenty of time off to attend some team practices and whatnot, but it's obviously still time off purely playing hockey.

He will learn to sweep the floor, make his bed, and make a really nice square out of his bedding, though. And shoot an assault rifle too, I guess.

Finnish pro athletes including hockey players serve to urheilukoulu ( sport unit's name).
Urheilukoulu located in Lahti but Finnish defensive forces cut their budget and Lahti sport unit closed.
Now new sport unit is in Helsinki.

Serve time in urheilukoulu depends that what, military special training Saarela gets there.
Shortest serve time is 6 months and longest 12 months.

In urheilukoulu hockey players will get plenty time to use practice their hockey skills.
And if they have game with their liiga team, they can go play that game and after the game they return back to urheilukoulu.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad