Prospect Info: 2015 NHL Draft - Pick #41 - Ryan Gropp

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I think stylistically he falls a little closer to a guy like Pacioretty. Obviously he doesn't have that speed, but he has a great shot which he can get off quickly, above average passing skill, and a innate ability to drift into the open areas on the ice. I think he'll really benefit from a full season with Barzal, who tends to told the puck a lot and draw players to him.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Hard to tell where he is going from the little I've seen and considering a kid his age is so raw.

I don't quite see the physical attributes in him compared to some kids he is compared to, like Benn or Kreider or Pacioretty. But he could get there, but another inch wouldn't have hurt him in that quest.

He did remind me a bit of Kreider in terms of style though. But who knows if he will adopt a more thinking game and like go more in a direction of say a Eric Fehr or someone in that direction. Like the pick though.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Hard to tell where he is going from the little I've seen and considering a kid his age is so raw.

I don't quite see the physical attributes in him compared to some kids he is compared to, like Benn or Kreider or Pacioretty. But he could get there, but another inch wouldn't have hurt him in that quest.

He did remind me a bit of Kreider in terms of style though. But who knows if he will adopt a more thinking game and like go more in a direction of say a Eric Fehr or someone in that direction. Like the pick though.

That's why I always hesitate with player comparisons. There might be a trait you see in a young player that reminds you of veteran, but it's hard to effectively communicate that to someone who hasn't seen the prospect. Without a reference point, any comparison is often seen as a literal reference.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Gropp is now a healthy scratch as an overage player in the WHL...yea, about time to chalk this one up as a bust boys. Brazel is no longer therefor him to ride coat tail and now he isn't even good enough to play on a nightly basis being an overage player.

edit - Injured??

Last edited:

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Gropp is now a healthy scratch as an overage player in the WHL...yea, about time to chalk this one up as a bust boys. Brazel is no longer therefor him to ride coat tail and now he isn't even good enough to play on a nightly basis being an overage player.

Why was he given a contact?

Apparently he's injured....

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
not sure how you guys get twitter tweets to appear like a business card
but here is tweet re Gropp injured

Tim Pigulski ‏@tpigulski 7h 7 hours ago
Konowalchuk also said that Gropp is 'day-to-day' with a lower body injury. Wouldn't say much more.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC

edit - Injured??

Overreaction much? Jeez.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

edit - Injured??

Yeah lets write him off already lol.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
Has anyone got to watch Gropp this year? I would like to hear his progress as I can't find a stream anymore of Junior Games.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City

edit - Injured??

Wow you sure sound like a fool over this.

:laugh::laugh:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I've been down on him for awhile.

Not sure why. He showed flashes in preseason. There was 1 preseason game (NJ?) where he impressed me.

Saying 'chalk it up as a bust ' isn't being down on a player. It's giving up on him. Way too early to give up on him.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Not sure why. He showed flashes in preseason. There was 1 preseason game (NJ?) where he impressed me.

Saying 'chalk it up as a bust ' isn't being down on a player. It's giving up on him. Way too early to give up on him.

That was just one game (which i missed btw), but even so, 12 minutes of ice time in the preseason isn't going to change my opinion that fast. He was sent down to the Pack training camp and was quickly cut from there as well to be sent back as an overage player in Juniors. He was terrible at TC, and i always said his stats were being inflated by playing on a line with one of the best junior players.

But regardless, I'm not going to keep harping on this, i made my point and i'll move on now, everyone has prospects they think higher or lower of than other posters..and that is just what mine is..one mealiness opinion by one poster ;)

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Once Barzal is returned from NYI, Gropps point production will get huge with Seattle

1 assist in 3 games so far. Has missed last 2 games with an injury

Konamic Ice Hockey

Jun 13, 2012
Seattle
After watching more of Pirri, Gropp, if everything goes right for him in the next couple of seasons he will be a lot like Pirri. Very similar. Just a thought I had watching the game last night.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00