Prospect Info: 2015 NHL Draft - Pick #41 - Ryan Gropp

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
And I get that sitting around until #41--a lot of other guys being picked before him--and your guy can seem almost anti-climatic. The main thing is he becomes a productive player. He has size and skating and what appears to be very strong elements of a goal scorer's kind of killer instinct. Those elements if they're nurtured could give us a really really good player.

Two things - 1) Clark raved about his skating, so I'm curious why I've seen some knocks about it. and 2) some posters here were crying for "more Kreiders" meaning big, fast players who can play down low, so I wonder if that's another element the Ranger scouting staff saw.

Goal scorers are hard to come by. We've got enough pass first guys--Stepan, Brassard, Zuccarello. Traditionallly the Rangers have always been a pass happy team since I've followed them--and that goes back into the early 70's. We don't often finish as well as we make plays.

How many times, especially during the playoffs did we hear that the Rangers don't have enough shooters? Sounds like they found one.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Two things - 1) Clark raved about his skating, so I'm curious why I've seen some knocks about it. and 2) some posters here were crying for "more Kreiders" meaning big, fast players who can play done low, so I wonder if that's another element the Ranger scouting staff saw.

How many times, especially during the playoffs did we hear that the Rangers don't have enough shooters? Sounds like they found one.

It's a good package to have in a player--size, skating, goal scoring ability. He might not be a player that actually has the puck a lot--it might be his line mates moving around with it more but actually having someone who can put the puck in the net is something essential for a scoring line.

Anyway I'm sure he's going to need a couple years of development. Rangers I think did fairly well all in all with the picks they had. Liked the Gropp, Kovacs, Morrison picks the best right now. The others look interesting enough.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Two things - 1) Clark raved about his skating, so I'm curious why I've seen some knocks about it. and 2) some posters here were crying for "more Kreiders" meaning big, fast players who can play done low, so I wonder if that's another element the Ranger scouting staff saw.

Year in year out this discrepancy occurs. Some people say a guy skates well and as many will be saying he skates like crap.

Typically skating is very high on the Rangers list of requirements for a prospect. Let the discussion commence.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
This kid has one hell of a shot. He scored a nice mix of snipes from the slot and garbage goals around the net

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Year in year out this discrepancy occurs. Some people say a guy skates well and as many will be saying he skates like crap.

Typically skating is very high on the Rangers list of requirements for a prospect. Let the discussion commence.

Because some scouts are comparing top end talents to these 2nd and 3rd rounders who will obviously have some flaws. But even then, some guys idea of his skating is 'good enough' is another guys idea of 'horrible'.

I just posted in another thread, the kid reminds me of JT Miller at that age when it comes to skating, and that's not bad.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
Gropp's skating looks fine in the videos I've seen. Not a burner, but he seems explosive enough to get to loose pucks and keep up with his linemates, which, based on the reports about his playing style, is the most important thing.

bootscraper

Jul 22, 2012
New Jersey
I posted this in the wrong thread by accident (and received no reply but hopefully that changes) but does anyone else think Grachev when they think Gropp ?

richardsequalscup*

Sprong's scouting reports were consistent. He doesn't compete hard enough. In the NHL where they ram your head through the board, that guy will turn into a pansy and run away. As far Bracco goes his scouting reports were consistent as well. His attitude sucks. He's also another pint size midget which this team doesn't need. Clark has been on the money with bigger forwards with speed that he has really liked. One he was off on was Nieves. That kid is soft and would rather party in a frat than be a pro hockey player.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Keven Hayes' skating looks godawful. I think he's got the talent to be the Rangers top forward when Nash is gone. how pretty a guy skates isnt important...whats important is can he get to loose pucks, can he play hockey, and how are his hands. decision making > all

Konamic Ice Hockey

Jun 13, 2012
Seattle
I posted this in the wrong thread by accident (and received no reply but hopefully that changes) but does anyone else think Grachev when they think Gropp ?

From what I have seen from both, Grachev had higher end skills and was a good amount faster. Gropp is not going to dangle someone out of their pants but he plays a good all around game, I think he is a bit more average then I would like to get in the second but a solid 3rd liner is not a bad thing. Both played with high end centers.
One thing about his shot is, as of right now he needs to get it off a bit quicker for it to be a truly NHL shot.
Not saying this to be a jerk but 30 goals in a season at the NHL will probably never happen for him. His development curve would have to go straight up from now until he makes it.
Size wise he needs to get stronger he is 6'2" 182lb and probably done growing. So he really needs to get stronger. NCAA would be good for this kid.
I'm not a big fan of this pick, I hope next season Gropp changes my mind but right now I would rather have Ethan Bear. Kolesar(now he has size and a right shot) or Gropp to me are kinda in the same boat both need to make some big strides to make the NHL.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Two things - 1) Clark raved about his skating, so I'm curious why I've seen some knocks about it. and 2) some posters here were crying for "more Kreiders" meaning big, fast players who can play down low, so I wonder if that's another element the Ranger scouting staff saw.

Well, he just has an ugly stride. He can get where he needs to go fast. It just looks ugly. That's the "knock" on his skating.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
the thing this kid has that sets him apart from most of our prospects is his shot. he's got a heavy, accurate and quick shot and most of all, he uses it. he knows where to be to score goals.

hes a shooter and that ability to finish is his calling card to the nhl.

as for his skating, its not text book perfect for sure. a little choppy and short but he's quick and for a big guy, he moves pretty well.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Two things - 1) Clark raved about his skating, so I'm curious why I've seen some knocks about it.

I'd say he's not really a speedster, but his maneuverability is very good. You can kind of see it in the videos, but he's a shifty skater - he turns well, he cuts well and he can be hard to pin down.

I think some people only think of straight ahead speed when they think of skating and in that category, Gropp is not going to amaze anyone.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I'd say he's not really a speedster, but his maneuverability is very good. You can kind of see it in the videos, but he's a shifty skater - he turns well, he cuts well and he can be hard to pin down.

I think some people only think of straight ahead speed when they think of skating and in that category, Gropp is not going to amaze anyone.

Pretty similar to Nash in that regard, yes?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Pretty similar to Nash in that regard, yes?

I'd say that's a pretty fair comment. There are more than a few similarities in their skating.

They key with Gropp, and if he's successful at the next level, comes down to getting himself into position. Once he's there, his hands are dangerous. You can make an argument that he plays a game that is ideally suited to playing with someone like Keith Yandle. If he's in position, and you have a gifted passer who can find him, he's going to score.

I don't think the Rangers were looking at Gropp as a dynamic offensive player, I think they figure that if he can progress and grow his skill and strength, he's going to be a good guy to have in the slot.

If he makes it, I would not be the least bit surprised if he looks better as a pro than a junior prospect.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

No.

Besides being almost the same height and being a winger they have nothing in common.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
gropp has some john leclaire in him.

legion of doom leclaire.

guys like him could score. from anywhere. they just knew how to finish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad