GDT: 2015 NHL Draft Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
In terms of taking guys past their draft years, Billy Beane of the Oakland A's made a living off drafting college players as opposed to high school kids in baseball. His theory was that you had a better read on how they might develop. I have no problem doing a similar thing in hockey in the later rounds - it cuts down the crapshoot factor of drafting kids so young.

Drafting college players is very normal in baseball. The jays just drafted a college player with their first who they actually drafted in high school but he didnt want to sign. Its more strange to draft seniors i believe

Lots of high school players elect to not sign as high schoolers because they have scholarships or think they can be drafted higher

The Jangle Meister*

Skinner worries me with his concussion history. That plus his slight build makes him a risk, IMO. The falloff you saw from him might be his new normal.

On the draft, or at least draft eligible players, it might be worthwhile to invite Dante Salituro of the 67s to camp. On the small side, yes, but great hands and speed, and was the team's top scorer. He reminds me a bit of Hoffman, another guy who went undrafted the first time up...

That would be my biggest concern

simplefan

May 25, 2008
I really appreciate what we did at the draft. We really took downlow guys who were at one time ranked much higher, but for some, because of injury or skating deficiencies they fell. Potentially in this draft, we can come out with 5 solid NHLers:

A Top 2 smooth skating LD in Chabot (McDonagh)
An excellent 2-way Center, strong on the puck in Colin White (Patrice Bergeron -kinda lite)
A dynamic Power Forward, tough to contain in Gabriel Gagné (more talented Brian Boyle / Corey Perry-lite)
A powerforward with a powerful explosive shot in Filip Ahl (Blake Wheeler)
A smart playmaking Top 6 center in Filip Chaplik (Plekanek)

I'm talking about POTENTIAL

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I really appreciate what we did at the draft. We really took downlow guys who were at one time ranked much higher, but for some, because of injury or skating deficiencies they fell. Potentially in this draft, we can come out with 5 solid NHLers:

An excellent 2-way Center, strong on the puck in Colin White (Patrice Bergeron -kinda lite)
A dynamic Power Forward, tough to contain in Gabriel Gagné (more talented Brian Boyle / Corey Perry-lite)

Big potential there and let's not forget the unsexy Jaros. He's another Claesson or Boroweicki (both 5th rounders, like Jaros). I fully expect him to carve out a pro career given what he's done already.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

If Chabot turns into anything close to McDonaugh, then the draft is a huge success. Those kind of defensemen are nearly impossible to trade for.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
GMBM stating we won't be doing much if anything July 1.

It aggrivates me that we can't add a piece to put us over the top, whether it be on offence or defence, because of guys like Phillips (I mean, I wouldn't retire either if I had one last chance to make 2.5 million dollars in one year) and Greening, who we refuse to buy out.

Milo's contract isn't great, but I still kinda like having him around.

Some folks are discussing moving Weir out, but that might not be a great idea anymore given Phillips will likely see limited minutes to begin with.

God Flower

Somebody hold me
Dec 19, 2008
Ottawa
LWOS gave us an A- Draft Grade.

We've received some positive grades from numerous hockey publications for our performance at the draft table. The lowest grade I've seen in B+, followed by an A-, and 2 A's.

Personally, I stopped questioning management's draft picks after they selected Zibanejad over Couturier in 2011. They have proven time and time again that they know what they're doing, so they have definitely earned my trust moving forward.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I feel like the sens arent just good at drafting but are good at developing. I think thats why Murray's been able to sign so many college UFAs.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I feel like the sens arent just good at drafting but are good at developing. I think thats why Murray's been able to sign so many college UFAs.

That's the key to success.

Drafting is just the first step. It's like getting a scholarship to college. Getting the scholarship is great, but if you don't put in the work at school once you get there, you'll flunk out.

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010

It aggrivates me that we can't add a piece to put us over the top, whether it be on offence or defence, because of guys like Phillips (I mean, I wouldn't retire either if I had one last chance to make 2.5 million dollars in one year) and Greening, who we refuse to buy out.

Some folks are discussing moving Weir out, but that might not be a great idea anymore given Phillips will likely see limited minutes to begin with.

We are still on a budget. It may be higher this season because of our RFAs performing well last season but I don't think this is the year to go all out.

IMO, if we have a good season and get in the playoffs convincingly, Melnyk will open his wallet and we'll go all out next offseason. Phillips and Neil will be off the book and, hopefully, greening too.

This year UFAs aren't so bad but there's only a few players worth the price and we just aren't sure if last year was a fluke or not.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011

Our roster should be good enough to make the playoffs. If we're top 3 in the division at the deadline then I think it would be a good time to look at rentals.

I think the club is better off looking at trades instead of high profile UFAs.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
This draft was Murray's best haul yet. Love every single pick, a mix of safe picks who have high ceilings, not the most flashy, and latter picks where BM is swinging for the fences. I believe each one of the picks, except the goalie (too unpredictable to predict), will have successful North American professional hockey careers.

Disclaimer: I predict out of my ass.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

Marloboro Vodka man, I liked your video montage before the Norris was awarded to Karlsson.

I don't see any such free agents that will put this team over the top. The only way to accomplish that would be via the trade route, and we know it's extremely difficult to get top-4 defencemen on the trade market (unless your GM's name is Don Sweeney). A guy like Sekera will get an obscene contract - and we all know about obscene contracts here in Ottawa.

I am of a very small minority here, I want Cowen to get regular playing time this season. All these injuries were factors in his stunted development. I hope he comes motivated (his mental part of the game bothers me the most), I still expect better things from him. I believe there is still time on his side for him to become an effective top-4 defenceman.

newtron

Jan 5, 2006
Ottawa
I have to admit, I was disappointed to hear Colin White's name over that of Travis Konecny.

I still remember the disappointment when I heard the Sens first pick in the 1997 draft... Marian Hossa??? Marian... that's my great Aunt's name I said, how good can he be? What they hell are they doing taking Hossa when Matt Zultek is still on the board? Hossa over Zultek, big mistake I said.

Then there was the 1999 draft when the Sens chose Martin Havlat with their first pick. Martin Havlat... great, another soft, small European I said. What they hell were they doing taking Havlat when Luke Sellars and Matt Zultek (again) were still on the board. Havlat over Sellars/Zultek, big mistake I said.

I also remember the disappointment when I heard their first pick in 2005... Brian Lee? Brian Lee looks like the 12 year old that delivers my newspaper I said, how good can he be? What the hell were they doing taking Hossa when Marc Staal was still on the board? Lee over Staal, big mistake I said.

Let's hope that White over Konecny turns out like Hossa/Havlat over Zultek, rather than Lee over Staal. I certainly have much more faith in our scouts now than I did at the time of the Lee selection, so I'm definitely giving them the benefit of the doubt.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Colin White plays nothing like Colin White from NJD last decade. Just saying.

I am very pleased with this pick. It is a safe pick (in that White will definitely play in the NHL with his current rate of progression), yet White has a higher ceiling than your average two-way guys. He reminds me of Patrice Bergeron and player of his calibre is a top-10 in any other draft year. In a few years, people would be wondering how he fell to 21 over some of the others that went before him at this year's draft.

Quote this ****!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad