Prospect Info: 2015 NHL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
It's too early to tell where we'll likely be picking, but it's not too early to discuss some of the players.

Personally I think this draft is fairly deep and obviously the top end is well reported as ridiculous. For the Jets I think there should be a plethora of solid defensemen available this year and one will likely fall to the Jets with their 1st round pick.

Rasmus Andersson is doing well in his rookie OHL season playing for the Hawerchuk lead Barrie Colts which is a well this franchise has gone to often.

Zachary Werenski is also turning heads playing for the Michigan Wolverines where our own Andrew Copp and Brennan Serville are currently playing and is the former team of Jets young star Jacob Trouba.

Ryan Pilon and Ivan Provorov are both having an outstanding year with the local Brandon Wheat Kings team.

The QMJHL is also a league to watch this year for defensemen with players like Jeremy Roy, Jakub Zboril, Guillaume Brisebois, Thomas Chabot, Nicolas Meloche, Jason Bell, Alexandre Carrier, and several others all plying there trade there and all available in the 2015 draft.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I'm quietly hoping for Werenski. He seems like the LH dman we need for the future. Don't think Hanifin or klymington will be there when we pick.

Many of the other d rated in the top 15 are rh. Not sure a rh dman is needed, over a big winger who can score. I know, I know, bpa. But if a Greenway or Bittner was there, I'd consider them over a rh dman.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Jets will pick 9th as per usual. Looking at McKenzie's ranks, that means Mitch Marner is the pick.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I'm quietly hoping for Werenski. He seems like the LH dman we need for the future. Don't think Hanifin or klymington will be there when we pick.

Many of the other d rated in the top 15 are rh. Not sure a rh dman is needed, over a big winger who can score. I know, I know, bpa. But if a Greenway or Bittner was there, I'd consider them over a rh dman.

I'm not sold on Greenway or Bittner at all yet. I have Greenway as a 2nd round rated pick and even then I could see enough players falling that I wouldn't even take him then.

Bittner is decent, but there's so many more I'd take over him again.

Those two are easily in my, "they are rated high because of height" category.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I'm not sold on Greenway or Bittner at all yet. I have Greenway as a 2nd round rated pick and even then I could see enough players falling that I wouldn't even take him then.

Bittner is decent, but there's so many more I'd take over him again.

Those two are easily in my, "they are rated high because of height" category.

Projectable size. They have enough skill, skating ability and size to be a 1st rd pick, IMO. Would be very surprised if they weren't.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Projectable size. They have enough skill, skating ability and size to be a 1st rd pick, IMO. Would be very surprised if they weren't.

When I see Greenway I see a guy who would be picked in the first round based on size and size only. Those kinds of players are falsely taken in the first round all the time being judged as safe and then they either bust out or end up as bottom sixers.

He doesn't have "enough skill" to be a first round pick. This is a guy who doesn't score at a ppg pace for the USDP. He's the 8th highest scorer on his team.

Those are just boxscore stats though and they can be flawed, but when you watch the team Tkachuk and Matthews are far better than him and are a year younger (I'm personally very excited about the Keith's son). Then if you're picking him over someone like Colin White who is better than Greenway in every single thing other than 4 inches of height there's something wrong.

The only reason you're talking about him and not someone like Fischer, Warren, or Roslovic is based on height and height alone and that is such an incredibly flawed reason for grading a prospect.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

After the 3 RHD currently in the NHL the Jets system is woefully weak at RHD. Poolman and Glover show some promise but are still too far away to be able to evaluate very well. I wouldn't mind if the BPA turned out to be a RHD.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
When I see Greenway I see a guy who would be picked in the first round based on size and size only. Those kinds of players are falsely taken in the first round all the time being judged as safe and then they either bust out or end up as bottom sixers.

He doesn't have "enough skill" to be a first round pick. This is a guy who doesn't score at a ppg pace for the USDP. He's the 8th highest scorer on his team.

Those are just boxscore stats though and they can be flawed, but when you watch the team Tkachuk and Matthews are far better than him and are a year younger (I'm personally very excited about the Keith's son). Then if you're picking him over someone like Colin White who is better than Greenway in every single thing other than 4 inches of height there's something wrong.

The only reason you're talking about him and not someone like Fischer, Warren, or Roslovic is based on height and height alone and that is such an incredibly flawed reason for grading a prospect.

Comparing him to Matthews isn't fair, that kid may be he first overall pick next year.

If I was in Jets management group, I'd take a guy with size who may turn out to be just a bottom 6'er, over a small skilled guy that may never crack the roster due to his size.

The Jets have enough small skilled guys in their prospect pool. They need size, IMO.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
After the 3 RHD currently in the NHL the Jets system is woefully weak at RHD. Poolman and Glover show some promise but are still too far away to be able to evaluate very well. I wouldn't mind if the BPA turned out to be a RHD.

After Morrissey, what do we have on the left side?

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Comparing him to Matthews isn't fair, that kid may be he first overall pick next year.

If I was in Jets management group, I'd take a guy with size who may turn out to be just a bottom 6'er, over a small skilled guy that may never crack the roster due to his size.

The Jets have enough small skilled guys in their prospect pool. They need size, IMO.

You're right about Matthews, but you're also incorrectly thinking that all the guys who are 5'11 - 6'2" are somehow small.

We don't need a 6'5" guy who frankly isn't very good. Is Bittner or Greenway even better than Adam Lowry? I'm not so sure. Bittner maybe, Greenway I highly doubt it. None of them are worth a first round pick though.

I'd rather gamble on top six potential than gamble on only bottom 6 potential.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
After Morrissey, what do we have on the left side?

Not great but lots of 3rd pair guys who are not that bad as long as they are not asked to play up the depth chart.
Stu, Clitsome, Pardy, Ellerby, Chiarot, Melchiori. We have depth but not width ... or is that the other way around? I suppose Kichton is as good as those last couple of LHDs so we can list him behind Postma but that's it. It isn't that the rest aren't very good. It is that there is no 'rest'. Empty barrel, hollow, just an echo. One injury on the right side and we get either Ellerby playing on his off side again or Kichton. Yes, I know they could move Buff back to D but every indication so far is that they won't. If they did we would apparently get Thor on the 3rd line again. I would rather have Ellerby on D if that is the choice.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
You're right about Matthews, but you're also incorrectly thinking that all the guys who are 5'11 - 6'2" are somehow small.

We don't need a 6'5" guy who frankly isn't very good. Is Bittner or Greenway even better than Adam Lowry? I'm not so sure. Bittner maybe, Greenway I highly doubt it. None of them are worth a first round pick though.

A first round pick, especially in the upper half of round 1 has to be someone with top-end skill, work ethic and hockey sense regardless of size. The Jets can look for "size" in later rounds, as they did with Lowry.

Are there any over-age players that are turning heads that would be good value in the later rounds? I like how the Jets haven't been shy to go that route. Would love to see them snag a player like Tanner Pearson or Ondrej Palat.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
As far as D are concerned...at 17 years old I wouldn't be worrying about their handedness.

D men historically take a little while to develop and by the time a defenseman we draft in 2015 is potentially ready for the big show the entire makeup of the defense we have right now could be entirely different. Both on the roster and in the prospect pool.

A first round pick, especially in the upper half of round 1 has to be someone with top-end skill, work ethic and hockey sense regardless of size. The Jets can look for "size" in later rounds, as they did with Lowry.

Are there any over-age players that are turning heads that would be good value in the later rounds? I like how the Jets haven't been shy to go that route. Would love to see them snag a player like Tanner Pearson or Ondrej Palat.

Couldn't agree more with all of this.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
Seeing as this is my first draft eligible year do you guys want a scouting report on yours truly?

It's written by me, so you know it's accurate.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

Can't see the Jets picking a smaller skilled player with their first pick this year.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

5'11 to 6'2 isn't short, but could be small. Ehlers is small because he's light. Crosby or Skinner aren't small, cause they are 200 lbs.

A guy like Barzal or Konecny or Marner would be a smaller player. Now, if they are bpa, when the Jets pick, great, but if it's later in the first, a bigger player with some upside may be their selection.

jetkarma*

The Jets have tendencies for their draft decisions and direction , some are absolutes I believe. Scheifele , Trouba , Morrissey and Ehlers have a lot of the same traits and qualities , I don't think that is a coincidence , I fully expect the first round pick to follow that pattern. High skill level , instinctive , focused . One point I like is it seems the pick can be from anywhere , OHL , US development program , US university , WHL , QHL and 3 nationalities , although we haven't taken a player not playing in NA.

With how deep this draft is , both through the first round and later , the Jets will get a top player in the first round , pretty confident of that . I said this a while ago , I thought if the Jets were picking in the teens I could see Werenski being their pick , he looks to be ascending from that slot though.

I also think there's a good group of LHD , not to say we pick to a position , but there are good options through different levels of the first round.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
Good for it!

Height: 5'6"
Mass: 120lbs
Position: Right Wing

[Name Unavailable] is a small, positionally sound winger who's biggest asset is his hockey IQ. His height, weight, and sense of balance make him easier to knock off the puck however, so [Name Unavailable] must make use of the agility afforded to him by his small frame to maneuver effectively around the ice. Despite this, he's still effective in puck battles along the boards. [Name Unavailable] is also effective at getting under the skin of opposing players, frustrating them and drawing penalties. [Name Unavailable] will never hesitate to back check, and is rarely seen floating around the ice. Offensively he's more of a complimentary player, being unable to carry a line on his own.

Comparable: Brendan Gallagher
Projected Round Taken: None, remains a free agent until death unless he learns how to siphon talent from the greatest NHL players and joins the MONSTARS.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
5'11 to 6'2 isn't short, but could be small. Ehlers is small because he's light. Crosby or Skinner aren't small, cause they are 200 lbs.

A guy like Barzal or Konecny or Marner would be a smaller player. Now, if they are bpa, when the Jets pick, great, but if it's later in the first, a bigger player with some upside may be their selection.

I didn't realize Skinner and Crosby were 200lbs when they were drafted.

The problem is those bigger players don't have much upside.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
Oh nice someone finally made a 2015 draft thread! If we ended up in the teens and got someone like Werenski I'd be thrilled, but it seems like he's pushing his name into the top 10 range as of late.

Honestly there is alot of solid talent this draft, I hope Chevy finds a way to grab another first round pick or two.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Ideally at that level in the draft he should have size too, at least adequate size. I think some have been drafted early because of their size. They may have good numbers to go with their size but that may be because they have simply dominated smaller players. Definitely something to be wary of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad