2015 NHL Draft Discussion Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
If the Sharks' top is target Connor, I could see them moving back to get him in hopes of adding a second.

If Connor is their #1 target I can't see them moving back unless they were certain of who the other teams were picking.

They're way more likely to move up to get "their" guy than move back.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Hoping the Sharks can turn that 39th overall into a second and a third.

Also I think the Sharks should look at Rasmus Andersson in the second. He's currently ranked 93rd overall for NA skaters but the kid was playing in the top league in Sweden for for two years (81 GP, 24 points). Actually played on the same team as Andre Burakovsky and outscored him as a defenseman and at age 15.

Anyways, then he came over and last season and played in the OHL with Labanc and was the highest scoring defenseman on his team (67 GP, 64 points). He's flying under the radar a bit and that could be because of his size at 6 foot, 209 pounds. He actually leads all draft eligible defensemen from the OHL in points.

Just my two cents on who we should pick up in the second. He will most likely be gone before the third even with his low ranking.

Last edited:

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Those 3 along with Barzal & Provorov have been at the top of my list for a long time.

It's hard to not get excited at the thought of drafting one of them but with Crouse, Rantanen & Meier (none if which would be bad picks at all) likely being options as well I'm trying to temper my expectations.

I'd be really happy with Barzal and Provorov too but I've figured that there's about a 95% chance they'll be gone before they get to us. I'm generally okay with Crouse compared to Rantanen and Meier.

Episkey

Nitrox
Mar 12, 2013
California
Vince Dunn is another player I would love at 39 if we went forward at 9. He is a superb skating offensive defenseman with a great shot, one of the best goal scoring d-man in this draft. His defense needs work but if we could pair him with a defensively responsible partner like Braun in few years, I think he could be a steal in the 2nd round. Question is whether or not he falls to us.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Vince Dunn is another player I would love at 39 if we went forward at 9. He is a superb skating offensive defenseman with a great shot, one of the best goal scoring d-man in this draft. His defense needs work but if we could pair him with a defensively responsible partner like Braun in few years, I think he could be a steal in the 2nd round. Question is whether or not he falls to us.

I love Dunn and he's exactly the type of d-man I want them to go after, great skating, high hockey IQ, high end offensive upside.

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
What do you guys think, should the Sharks go F in the 1st round, D in the 2nd round or the other way around (picking the BPA on the position) or just pick the BPA no matter the position.

They'll end up with a tremendeous player no matter how the pick though. That's why I'd (have) like(d) to have more picks.

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
What do you guys think, should the Sharks go F in the 1st round, D in the 2nd round or the other way around (picking the BPA on the position) or just pick the BPA no matter the position.

They'll end up with a tremendeous player no matter how the pick though. That's why I'd (have) like(d) to have more picks.

If provorov and hanifin are off the board I think we should get Connor. 2nd round I think there will be a lot of good defensemen left over such as dunn or vande sompel

Episkey

Nitrox
Mar 12, 2013
California

Go BPA at #9, then pick the opposite at #39 unless there is a clear-cut BPA at that spot. I like the defensemen a bit more in the early second round but there are a few intriguing forward options such as Zachary Senyshyn, Filip Chlapik, etc.

Honestly I'd be happy with any one of Zacha/Connor/Barzal/Werenski/Provorov with our first pick. I hope we don't go too off the board in the second like last year, especially now that the pick is earlier. There are some very good players available around 39.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Go BPA at #9, then pick the opposite at #39 unless there is a clear-cut BPA at that spot. I like the defensemen a bit more in the early second round but there are a few intriguing forward options such as Zachary Senyshyn, Filip Chlapik, etc.

Honestly I'd be happy with any one of Zacha/Connor/Barzal/Werenski/Provorov with our first pick. I hope we don't go too off the board in the second like last year, especially now that the pick is earlier. There are some very good players available around 39.

As much as I was opposed to doing this earlier, I am ok with Crouse on that list as well.

Hold the Pickles

Aug 16, 2003
03-K64
Geez, been going thru the plethora of d-men available from the mid 1st thru low 3rd. Its amazing how few RD's there are.... and even fewer that I'd like us to pick.

I'd like to pick up a late 2nd or early 3rd and take Kyle connor then Rasmus Andersson at 39 and another D-man. I really like vande sompel, but I'm hoping he falls and we can pick him up with an even lessor pick (size and hopefully unfounded injury issues). If he's somehow around at 106, he'd be a steal.

This is assuming one of the big three D aren't available at 9.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Geez, been going thru the plethora of d-men available from the mid 1st thru low 3rd. Its amazing how few RD's there are.... and even fewer that I'd like us to pick.

I'd like to pick up a late 2nd or early 3rd and take Kyle connor then Rasmus Andersson at 39 and another D-man. I really like vande sompel, but I'm hoping he falls and we can pick him up with an even lessor pick (size and hopefully unfounded injury issues). If he's somehow around at 106, he'd be a steal.

This is assuming one of the big three D aren't available at 9.

Why does everyone here want Andersson? Is it just the stats? I really dislike him and so for what it's worth I think he was second worst in VO2 max for the ENTIRE combine, which answers my questions about his fitness.

Hold the Pickles

Aug 16, 2003
03-K64
Why does everyone here want Andersson? Is it just the stats? I really dislike him and so for what it's worth I think he was second worst in VO2 max for the ENTIRE combine, which answers my questions about his fitness.

There are a number of players I'd rather have, but they're all LD's. So if you know of some decent 3rd - 5th round RD possibilities, I'd be excited to hear of them.

Hold the Pickles

Aug 16, 2003
03-K64
This is one of those situations where drafting for need would probably bite you in the butt.

Ya, didn't know about his VO2 max. It seems that there is no way SJ would draft him. I'm just not impressed with many of the RD's in the range I'm most familiar with. They seem either poor skating or have no offensive upsite or 1st pass capability.

If we could at least get a couple decent RD option low in the draft to get some in our system that'd be fine, even if they were higher risk reward players.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Looking over the V02 Max Duration results, it's strange that the top-10 results posted weren't even close to previous years. Maybe the test was harder this year? Eichel and Trenin posted 12:15. Mirco posted 14:30 in 2013. None of the top-10 in 2014 were below 13:00.

Who is this Trenin kid anyway? Is he gone by the 4th round? Sharks need to pick up a 3rd round pick.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
There are a number of players I'd rather have, but they're all LD's. So if you know of some decent 3rd - 5th round RD possibilities, I'd be excited to hear of them.

I dunno exactly when they'll go, but in the 2nd round and beyond, some names are Nicolas Meloche, Noah Juulsen, Jesper Lindgren, Ethan Bear, Nick Boka, Will Borgen, Gustav Bouramman, Loik Leveille, Villi Saarijarvi, Thomas Schemitch, Veeti Vainio.

Erik Cernak is right-handed but I've seen him listed as a LD so I'm not totally sure but he'd be a really good pick.

You're right though, there aren't that many RHD in the draft. I think Jeremy Roy will go higher than expected because of this.

ScottyDont

Aug 30, 2010
Philly (<3 in SJ)

I admit I don't watch prospect footage, so I'm basing that on scouting reports. Maybe you've watched him and have other observations. But read this write up on him and tell me that doesn't sound enticing?

http://thehockeywriters.com/rasmus-andersson-the-next-ones-nhl-2015-draft-prospect-profile/

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I admit I don't watch prospect footage, so I'm basing that on scouting reports. Maybe you've watched him and have other observations. But read this write up on him and tell me that doesn't sound enticing?

http://thehockeywriters.com/rasmus-andersson-the-next-ones-nhl-2015-draft-prospect-profile/

The first sentence reads "Andersson skates extraordinarily well" which is a blatant mistruth, unless he has wildly improved upon his skating in the last five months. Another would be "gives quick passes to move the puck to his forwards". My opinion of Andersson could very well be a victim of a very small sample size, but the two things that really really stuck out to me watching Andersson were that his feet were made of cement and his decision making was glacial in terms of breakouts. So to see those two things listed in the first paragraph as strengths is awfully confusing to me, but again, they could be very right and I could be completely mistaken.

But that's where my vitriol towards Andersson comes from. I just can't get those two traits out of my mind. And when the article says "as is typical with many Swedish defensemen" to talk about his exceptional skating, I get wary that they're just making that assumption because he's Swedish.

Hold the Pickles

Aug 16, 2003
03-K64
Thanks Jux, you're awesome. I was only aware of the first two you listed. Is this usually the case with RD's or is this just especially true this year.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Thanks Jux, you're awesome. I was only aware of the first two you listed. Is this usually the case with RD's or is this just especially true this year.

You are very welcome. :) And RHD are typically harder to find but this year seems especially tilted towards lefties. Guys like Werenski and Kylington have played/play the right side despite being left-handed, but it's often hard to find that kind of information off-hand (pardon that bad pun).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad