Prospect Info: 2015 NHL Draft Discussion Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
On topic... is it draft yet?

Oh PS... I might have press access for the draft... so if you guys have any questions on draft day, send me a tweet.

Are you going to Florida? Are you going to the combine too?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
just ps? or can the rest of us send you a tweet as well?

*slow clap*

:laugh:

Well I was at the draft last year with a contingent from another organization (buddy) but I didn't let that stop me from doing a goal level celebration when we drafted Ehlers.

Garret night 1 is pretty cool....day 2 was probably more fun for the press but it is not really spectator friendly and more of a cattle call.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Lots is up in the air, as I may have to travel for my other job (player management one).

I may go to either or both... although at this time it looks like no on combine and maybe on Florida.
I have media access if I do either though.

I can go for you if you'd like. Personally, I think it's preferable to have a person who knows Swedish for the draft, since we'll be drafting like 5 Swedish players.

I'll even suffer through the Florida weather, just for you.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I can go for you if you'd like. Personally, I think it's preferable to have a person who knows Swedish for the draft, since we'll be drafting like 5 Swedish players.

I'll even suffer through the Florida weather, just for you.

Perhaps one Swedish player in the first round ;)

My hopes are Kylington interviews well with TNSE. I saw a potential reference where he sounded Hampus Lindholm level confident which can be good but I hope it is teammate friendly? Wouldn't it be nice if TNSE had Kylington ranked at about #8 on their board and we got him at 17?

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
How high is he on your board?

I have not constructed a 1st round board yet. As we get closer I might build out a top 47 but I don't get as many viewings as guys like Holden so I am more of a Cherry picker. I usually come up with a list of guys I realistically prey for with our 1st round pick. :laugh:

I gotta get in it here soon.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
My preliminary list after a bit of researching.
I really want to snag a C/RW out of this draft and possibly a D. I imagine TNSE might have different priorities.
If any of these guys fall to us I'd be happy.
Pavel Zacha - I highly doubt he falls to us but I would put him on the RW with Lowry and have a beastly shutdown line that has a lot of potential to score. Whom ever is the better faceoff taker would play center. But is he really worth what he is projected to be worth?
Timo Meier - He has experience with our best blue chip prospect and having them continue to play together with the right centerman could be our future #1 scoring line. We know they gel so might as well.
Nick Merkley - Has the potential to also be a great winger to play alongside Ehlers. He doesn't have as much size as Meier though for playing alongside someone like Ehlers. I'm not super excited about him.
Yevgeni Svechnikov - This kid has a tonne of potential and really excites me. I wonder if we could convince him to play Center with us. The Screaming Eeagles put him at center against Quebec and he had a 52% win rating over the series. He has size, good puck skills and can skate. I honestly think we shouldn't hesitate to take this kid and craft him into our #1 center. He has the right kind of skill set to play with the big boy centers of the western conference and in my opinion will be a steal for anyone.
Colin White - A possible sleeper pick, I think if he falls to our 2nd pick in the 1st round we shouldn't hesitate. He is projected to be a great two-way center and I think he may be a better option than Lowry to play third line center, we shift Lowry to the wing and get ourselves a solid shutdown guy for RW (Frolik) and we have a great shutdown line with a lot of potential to put the puck in the net.
Oliver Kylington - If White is off the board, we take Oliver with our second, no questions asked.

So far that's as far as I've got.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
I was watching a bunch of player profiles on YouTube and came away impressed with Bradley Lalonde, d-man from Cape Breton. He was ranked 118 at midterm by CSS but not in their final 200 rankings. Anybody know anything about him or why he fell off the ranks?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I wonder if there will be a Tyler Johnson effect at this years draft? Maybe it's the guys with size who will fall.

Zacha at 17?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I wonder if there will be a Tyler Johnson effect at this years draft? Maybe it's the guys with size who will fall.

Zacha at 17?

I'm still trying to figure out why he is rated so high He looks good but some of the guys after him look better.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

Zacha at 17?

From what I've heard scouts are explaining away his production due to the switch to the NA game.

This could be legit but it is also one of the things scouts tend to do in their process of outsmarting themselves.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm still trying to figure out why he is rated so high He looks good but some of the guys after him look better.

My uneducated guess is that Zacha is rated highly because of his size. He doesn't score near enough to support his rating.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
From what I've heard scouts are explaining away his production due to the switch to the NA game.

This could be legit but it is also one of the things scouts tend to do in their process of outsmarting themselves.

I honestly think Svechnikov might be better. He's a bit smaller but had a great season, I think he has a higher ceiling and if he can be taught to play a better defensive game he can be miles better than Zacha.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I honestly think Svechnikov might be better. He's a bit smaller but had a great season, I think he has a higher ceiling and if he can be taught to play a better defensive game he can be miles better than Zacha.

Agreed. Svech could very well end up being a steal in the draft

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Agreed. Svech could very well end up being a steal in the draft

Based on what I've read about him he could easily be in the top 10 but because his defence needs work and the Russian Factor it sets him back. I think we should take the chance on him. He could very well be a #1 center, if we put him there. Apparently he was great on the dot during the playoffs. Give him one more season in the Q and then let him play center in the A and see how he handles it. The bonus is he can play either wing as well. He just needs to fine tune the defensive aspects of his game, which the Jets can do.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
how much could we move up if we offered both 1sts plus Buff?

The two Jets 1st's are worth the 6th-7th spot according to trade up value chart. No idea what 2 years of Buff would add to that.

One thing we know, there's no way Buffalo would do that trade with Kane on the roster. LOL...

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Thinking about Russians, what about Guryanov? He's almost 8 months younger than Svechnikov. Might be higher risk, but could be a good option at #47.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
Thinking about Russians, what about Guryanov? He's almost 8 months younger than Svechnikov. Might be higher risk, but could be a good option at #47.

From the little I've seen I love him. Probably one of the most skilled guys in the draft, speedy, bullet shot with a really quick release, above average hands. Not a fantastic playmaker but he's not a complete zero in that department.

I wonder if we're in position, prospect depth wise, to take a risk on a super skilled Russian playing over seas. It has worked out nicely for teams like Dallas, Washington, and St Louis.

NBjet

May 24, 2014
Here's my vote... Svech and Guryanov, even with our first two picks. Then just slot Krask between the two of them and we have our very own Russian line. Could be awesome! Big, fast and skilled... Just do it!

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
The two Jets 1st's are worth the 6th-7th spot according to trade up value chart. No idea what 2 years of Buff would add to that.

One thing we know, there's no way Buffalo would do that trade with Kane on the roster. LOL...

More likely 10th -11th

The combined value one normally gets with drafting from the Jets first two picks is equal to the value one normally gets with drafting from a 6th-7th spot.

The combined value one normally gets with trading for draft picks from the Jets first two picks is equal to the value one normally gets with trading for draft picks from a 10th-11th pick.

In other words, trading up tends to lose value.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig