Post-Game Talk: 2015 NHL Draft: Celebrations, Complaints, Praises, Concerns

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Pretty shocked Nathan Noel didn't get drafted. In every mock I saw he was taken in the 3rd, latest 4th round.

I think Juulsen is a good pick. Rumours were Habs liked him, so it wasn't a surprise. The other guys seem interesting. We'll see if any of them make it.

It'll really hurt if this ends up being a deep draft and we bust it like we did in 2003.

Really looking forward to seeing how these prospects do next year.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Pretty shocked Nathan Noel didn't get drafted. In every mock I saw he was taken in the 3rd, latest 4th round.

I think Juulsen is a good pick. Rumours were Habs liked him, so it wasn't a surprise. The other guys seem interesting. We'll see if any of them make it.

It'll really hurt if this ends up being a deep draft and we bust it like we did in 2003.

Really looking forward to seeing how these prospects do next year.

To fall as much as Noel did you pretty much have to tell every team you meet with you're a Nazi.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
We didn't have any pick to get really excited about... But this is a very unsexy draft and didn't even mean my low expectation. I'm ok with Juulsen. But the rest Vejdemo (I don't know what our obsession with drafting overage player in the 3rd...) and Bradley seem like there were still lot of other bigger name still available.

malton

Feb 17, 2009
Apparently Noel didn't get a very good endorsement from the Sea Dogs.

bmore236

Mar 3, 2004
I wanted Vladislav Gavrikov who was selected in the 6th round by Columbus. I though he had a really good WJC as the captain of the Russia team.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
I'm not disappointed but not overly happy either. It was a good draft no sexy picks made but I'm in the camp that trusts our scouts.

Noah Juulsen: The guy I wanted was Meloche, Colorado got him at the top of the second round. I can't say I'm unhappy either though, both players have similar upside and if TT was happy to select Juulsen, he saw a lot more of these guys than I did so I'm thinking the club made the right choice. Both Meloche and Juulsen seem like safe picks for where they were taken.

Lukas Vejdemo: Don't know much about him but seeing TT gush over the opportunity to land the guy where we did is pretty telling. Swedes are always interesting to me especially since prior to Collberg and JDLR we didn't draft many.

Matthew Bradley: Seems like a questionable pick but again don't know much about him. Upside seems to be limited to 3rd liner but maybe that's a much safer pick for the round he was taken.

Simon Bourque: I like the pick. Seems to have a lot of potential considering where he was chosen.

Jeremiah Addison: See Simon Bourque, both seem to have quite the potential considering where we landed them.

All in all, I think some of our later picks were pretty safe considering where we got them. Can't complain, it's much better than going for an Avtsyn whose boom or bust ratio is massive. Some of these guys I could see becoming NHLers, or at least it's more likely than a lot of the boom or bust picks of years past.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I don't mind the draft.

I remember the 2007 draft and the comments/critics were quite similar.

McDonagh was a unsexy pick and Subban was not ranked very high by various scouting publication.

I think Juulsen has a similar profile to McDonagh and Vejdemo is a homerun pick (which I like).

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Geez....those Leafs...they WILL be a pain down the road...

I went looking wondering where the heck Peterborough D-man Cam Lizotte went in the draft. He was rated 99th...and he's been invited to their camp.

They also snagged Sarnia's Nikita Korostelev in Round 7.
Sarnia's leading scorer, he was rated 50th.

I find out the above after already bumming out on Leafs grabbing Oshawa D-man Stephen Desrocher, 6'3, 198 (played well in M Cup) in Round 6.

These picks indicate to me, a staff that is hardly asleep at the wheel.

They are going to be a pain going forward. Trust me, I hated writing that.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
http://www.espn.co.uk/nhl/insider/story/_/id/13159515/corey-pronman-grades-every-nhl-team-2015-draft

For what little it's worth, Pronman rates our draft a C-, tied with the Blackhawks for the lowest score. He supports the Juulsen pick though, which quite frankly is all that matters. I'm not in love with Juulsen's ceiling but he was a good pick who is safe to at least be a valuable role player, and we could use more aggression on the blueline.

Odds are no other pick from this draft will ever play a game in the NHL, but what can you do.

Vejdemo intrigues me but I'm not convinced he's a "homerun" pick when he's not exactly projected to be an offensive powerhouse as much as he is another big hard worker (basically a higher risk/higher reward version of DLR). I like where they are going with picks like this but I'm not going to get my hopes up when you consider how bad this organization is at dealing with European prospects.

What worries me is we are currently in the grey zone where we aren't considered contenders but are good enough to consistently pick low, which is why we can't afford to waste any more years of Price, Subban, and Pacioretty's primes.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
http://www.espn.co.uk/nhl/insider/story/_/id/13159515/corey-pronman-grades-every-nhl-team-2015-draft

For what little it's worth, Pronman rates our draft a C-, tied with the Blackhawks for the lowest score. He supports the Juulsen pick though, which quite frankly is all that matters. I'm not in love with Juulsen's ceiling but he was a good pick who is safe to at least be a valuable role player, and we could use more aggression on the blueline.

Odds are no other pick from this draft will ever play a game in the NHL, but what can you do.

Vejdemo intrigues me but I'm not convinced he's a "homerun" pick when he's not exactly projected to be an offensive powerhouse as much as he is another big hard worker (basically a higher risk/higher reward version of DLR). I like where they are going with picks like this but I'm not going to get my hopes up when you consider how bad this organization is at dealing with European prospects.

What worries me is we are currently in the grey zone where we aren't considered contenders but are good enough to consistently pick low, which is why we can't afford to waste any more years of Price, Subban, and Pacioretty's primes.
Well, this is it. Ten years ago we'd do all we could to try to get in at 8th spot. We weren't getting high picks but we also knew we had no chance at winning anything.

This team on the other hand is damn close to being championship caliber and we can't waste the prime years of that trio. I'm okay with being conservative to an extent but we need to be a little more aggressive now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad