Prospect Info: 2015 NHL Draft #30 - Nick Merkley C/RW

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Coyotes' scouts had him at 13th overall according to McConnell.

[NHL]832033[/NHL]

ScottsdaleYote

May 29, 2011
Coyotes' scouts had him at 13th overall according to McConnell.

[NHL]832033[/NHL]

Which begs the question what were they "arguing" about right before taking Merkley? It seemed like a no-brainer to all of us, and right now he's looking like a major steal.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Which begs the question what were they "arguing" about right before taking Merkley? It seemed like a no-brainer to all of us, and right now he's looking like a major steal.

Maybe they also really liked Jeremy Roy and Don wanted a D-man. In the end they went with BPA though which is good

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Maybe Don wanted to trade the pick and the scouts wanted to make it

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
They could have also been fielding offers for the pick, there were quite a few guys still on the board that other teams would/could have wanted.

Anyway, I'm glad and extremely surprised we got Merkley at #30. The last 28-30th 1st rounders have all been complete crap for us:

Ross, Visentin (close enough to 28th), Summers & Tikhonov

Grvmnd

Apr 20, 2015
They could have also been fielding offers for the pick, there were quite a few guys still on the board that other teams would/could have wanted.

Anyway, I'm glad and extremely surprised we got Merkley at #30. The last 28-30th 1st rounders have all been complete crap for us:

Ross, Visentin (close enough to 28th), Summers & Tikhonov

I'll bet tikh gets somewhere between 16-20 goals next year. 45 pts. Hell be the new saad

ctseaton

Jul 12, 2015
Arctic Circle
Nothing said about the lack of a high D draft

I'm looking for confirmation about this, and its just a theory at this point but no one said anything of it here. Coyotes coverage in Nova Scotia is garbage.

Obviously barring not drafting Noah Hanifin I thought meant that DM was going to use the pick to draft a potential top/2nd line defenceman in Larsson or Carlsson taken at 27 and 29 respectively. But reading the draft updates online, I was pissed to see Columbus swoop in when they traded up for the 29th pick.

Is there any thought that Carlsson was on the books for Arizona and Columbus didn't want to lose the chance on him? or was it an errant move by CBJ and Merkley was a gift at that point anyways? or I read about the apparent heated discussions before the actual pick for Merkley? I'm sure you get what I'm saying - anything to clarify what actually happened here?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'm looking for confirmation about this, and its just a theory at this point but no one said anything of it here. Coyotes coverage in Nova Scotia is garbage.

Obviously barring not drafting Noah Hanifin I thought meant that DM was going to use the pick to draft a potential top/2nd line defenceman in Larsson or Carlsson taken at 27 and 29 respectively. But reading the draft updates online, I was pissed to see Columbus swoop in when they traded up for the 29th pick.

Is there any thought that Carlsson was on the books for Arizona and Columbus didn't want to lose the chance on him? or was it an errant move by CBJ and Merkley was a gift at that point anyways? or I read about the apparent heated discussions before the actual pick for Merkley? I'm sure you get what I'm saying - anything to clarify what actually happened here?

The heated debate was delaying of taking Christian Fisher on Day 2 versus Day 1 where they had planned on taking him.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014

Obviously nobody knows, I'm guessing they had offers for the pick, either for a player or combination of picks that DM liked, but in the end the scouting staff convinced him to pick the guy they had pegged as the 13th best prospect.

DM let Bernhardt make the call on the stand, I'm guessing that was him saying, "Alright Tim, this is your pick here."

edit : hbk pls you're making me look bad :(

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Yes they were. They still are. merkley was a gift.

For me, Fischer's the one worth watching in this draft class. Merkley was a gift, so it's understandable that they snagged him with the Chicago 1st. After that, I would have snagged Brandon Carlo at 32 and then hoped Fischer fell to 60. Then too, I wouldn't have traded down from 60 and I just would have taken Kylington.

It seems like either the scouts weren't really interested in the D in that range or they were just too tempted by some of the forwards. Leaves a pretty shallow D pool in a couple of years.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
For me, Fischer's the one worth watching in this draft class. Merkley was a gift, so it's understandable that they snagged him with the Chicago 1st. After that, I would have snagged Brandon Carlo at 32 and then hoped Fischer fell to 60. Then too, I wouldn't have traded down from 60 and I just would have taken Kylington.

It seems like either the scouts weren't really interested in the D in that range or they were just too tempted by some of the forwards. Leaves a pretty shallow D pool in a couple of years.

I wonder if they weren't impressed with this year's dmen in that range. Iirc maloney said something about this being the year of the 6 foot defenseman, so maybe he's holding out for next year where there may be bigger guys. There were two big dmen available when we picked Fischer though so who knows.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Fischer seemed like a reach to me though doubt he would have been available in the next round. Guess they took a guy they really liked. After getting Merkley as a gift I thought they would draft a Dman - Kylington (lots of red flags there) or Carlo or...

CoyoteCool

Jun 28, 2015
Fischer seemed like a reach to me though doubt he would have been available in the next round. Guess they took a guy they really liked. After getting Merkley as a gift I thought they would draft a Dman - Kylington (lots of red flags there) or Carlo or...

The last "reach" we made was Dvorak last year. Let's hope for some of the same result with Fischer.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona

If we came away with kylington or Carlo, on top of Fischer and merkly, we would have absolutely won the draft.

I think we could have spared looke amd hill for Carlo or kylington.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Flyers were going to take him with their 2nd 1st rounder, but traded up once Konecny fell to a spot they couldn't resist. The Flyers don't mess around with 1st round picks -- happy to see Merkley land here. Flyers are great at scouting 1st round talent so this is just another piece of optimism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad