Prospect Info: 2015 NHL Draft #30 - Nick Merkley C/RW

Status
Not open for further replies.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
Flyers were going to take him with their 2nd 1st rounder, but traded up once Konecny fell to a spot they couldn't resist. The Flyers don't mess around with 1st round picks -- happy to see Merkley land here. Flyers are great at scouting 1st round talent so this is just another piece of optimism.

Yep, I had him at around 15:

The big 11 (we all know who they are)
12: Connor
13: Meier
14: Chabot
15/16: Konecny/Merkley
….

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
What's his speed like?

I see him as a RW version of Domi with less speed. I'm just not sure how much less speed.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Maloney mentioned that Merkley was in the wheelhouse of Treliving/Calgary at 15 OV before the trade for Hamilton on XM yesterday.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Maloney mentioned that Merkley was in the wheelhouse of Treliving/Calgary at 15 OV before the trade for Hamilton on XM yesterday.

Do they just shoot the **** or freely pass information around? How would he even know that well enough to say it publicly? Could explain why everyone, including Strome's brother, knew he was a Coyote before we did.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Do they just shoot the **** or freely pass information around? How would he even know that well enough to say it publicly? Could explain why everyone, including Strome's brother, knew he was a Coyote before we did.

He and Treliving are tight. He likely told Don who they were targeting at the pick after Yotes made selection.

As for saying too much. Big difference between saying Calgary was definitely going to take him at 15 and saying he was in the mix. Enough ambiguity to not get anyone in any trouble.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
^^

I think that some is due to the rapport that certain GMs have with one another. But from the sense of talking about where trades occur, you are going to get little nuggets of information all around.

As an example, when Boston was chatting with Calgary about the inclusion of the #15 pick, I am certain that the topic of whom the Bruins were interested in came up. As soon as names of players that Calgary had ranked in the #22 and later area came up, you can eliminate certain players from their targets at #15. They may even have stated to the Bruins that they had a group of players from #13-#18 that they were comfortable with, and named a few off to see if the Bruins were targeting similar players. Once it became obvious that the Bruins may have been reaching on players or that those players were further down the Bruins list, Calgary pretty much jumped at the deal. Once the draft is over, it is free to talk further about where they had players, and I am certain that teams will go up to management after the first round and say, "Great pick at #30. We had him at #18 and if you didn't take him, we would try to move up to the top of the 2nd round to get him..."

It is possible that we even had discussions about moving up to 15 long prior, and Calgary said no b/c our specific targets were too close to theirs, and the Flames did not have players at #30 and #32 that they were big enough fans of waiting on...

Makes an interesting thought when you look at a player like Visentin. I think you do wind up getting a feel for certain draft boards, and teams do give some limited information. It is possible that 6 of the next 8 teams in the 2nd round of the 2010 draft had Visentin somewhere between 20 and 40, and while management couldn't pinpoint that spot on the board, it made sense to take the pick there if we had him ranked at #32.

Last edited:
Reactions: KG

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
“I went to the Coyotes’ rookie camp in September and I felt I was going pretty good,” Merkley said. “Then I suffered a shoulder injury, well, my collarbone, and that affected the rest of the process a bit.”

“At least I got to be involved, to see and talk with the guys,” Merkley said. “It was neat to play two games in LA. There are some great young guys to play with. I ended up doing some rehab work there and I got to meet Shane Doan, so that was pretty cool.”
Is Doaner more revered in hockey circles than I realize? Is that just an Alberta thing?

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Whichever doctor fused Hanzal's back should do the same to Merkley's knees. Turn his legs into indestructible, unbendable pillars from hip to ankle.

AZviaNJ

Setbacks, no Defeats
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Doan is kind of legend in the WHL Western teams (along with Iginla).
Member of those Kamloops teams that won B2B Memorial Cups with Iginla and Tyson Nash, Doan was MVP of the 2nd championship team in 94-95.....then picked 7th in the 95 draft which was held in Edmonton. Game winning goal in 2004 World Cup final against Finland.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Guest here.

A solid start in the Sm-Liiga for Nick Merkley at that loan deal.
2 goals, 7 points in 9 games (0.77 ppg)
27 penalty minutes with +6 and 23 shots on goal
avg ice time : 15:55 (low : 8:02* high: 19:29)

His team Porin Ässät (5th in standings) record : 6 wins, 3 losses | GF : 25 GA : 31 GD : -6

* a game where he got 5+20 min penalty

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Guest here.

A solid start in the Sm-Liiga for Nick Merkley at that loan deal.
2 goals, 7 points in 9 games (0.77 ppg)
27 penalty minutes with +6 and 23 shots on goal
avg ice time : 15:55 (low : 8:02* high: 19:29)

His team Porin Ässät (5th in standings) record : 6 wins, 3 losses | GF : 25 GA : 31 GD : -6

* a game where he got 5+20 min penalty
Merkley was traded to New Jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->