Prospect Info: 2015 Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #10

Status
Not open for further replies.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Which side of Leipsic/Harrington will bribe me to get my vote?

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Harrington was voted by fans the pens 3rd best prospect last offseason. Leipsic 6th. One of the two won't crack our top 10 this offseason. Hopefully this apparent prospect depth leads to numerous impact NHL players :)

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Harrington was voted by fans the pens 3rd best prospect last offseason. Leipsic 6th. One of the two won't crack our top 10 this offseason. Hopefully this apparent prospect depth leads to numerous impact NHL players :)

I wouldn't put my faith into polls like these. It's a fan base poll, not one lead by actual professionals.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
10 - Loov
11 - Leipsic
12 - Harrington
13 - Valiev
14 - Bibeau
15 - Finn
16 - Nilsson
17 - Froese
18 - Granberg
19 - Carrick
20 - Dzierkals
21 - Soshnikov
22 - Leivo
23 - Lindgren
24 - Timashov
25 - Donaghey
26 - Bailey
27 - Nielsen
28 - Engvall
29 - Toninato
30 - Hyman

HEY SCHENN - Why isn't Froese on the list? I have him at #17!

I didn't really realize how young he was. Ha

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Honestly, 5 to 15 is pretty much a toss up for me, they're all at a pretty similar level.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Can someone please explain to me what the deal with Soshnikov is? Like, what his fatal flaws are that he needs to work on? What his skills and strengths are?

From what I can gather, 32 points in 57 games in the KHL at 21 years old is huge, no? Point totals like that in the KHL most likely translate over to top six point totals in the AHL.

So had we had a 21 year old in the AHL last year put up top six to first line point totals in the AHL last year for the Marlies, that player would most likely be in our to 10 prospects.

Marko Dano is pretty much exactly one year younger than Soshnikov at the same weight and height and Dano only produced 5 points in 41 KHL games in 2013-2014, then in 2014-2015 he put up 11 goals in the NHL in only 39 games. Did Soshnikov play in a horrible division in the KHL or something?

Now. Don't get me wrong. Obviously KHL numbers don't transfer over to NHL numbers just like that. Some players can tear up the KHL and can't even crack an NHL roster, while some players can be serviceable NHL players and then wash out of the KHL or SEL. Some playing styles suit the big ice better, some the small, some times skating means more for some, etc.

But Soshnikov has me curious. I want to know more.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
Leipsic. Seeing how this has turned into the shiny new toy contest, it doesn't surprise me that he would be 10 or 11.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Can someone please explain to me what the deal with Soshnikov is? Like, what his fatal flaws are that he needs to work on? What his skills and strengths are?

From what I can gather, 32 points in 57 games in the KHL at 21 years old is huge, no? Point totals like that in the KHL most likely translate over to top six point totals in the AHL.

So had we had a 21 year old in the AHL last year put up top six to first line point totals in the AHL last year for the Marlies, that player would most likely be in our to 10 prospects.

Marko Dano is pretty much exactly one year younger than Soshnikov at the same weight and height and Dano only produced 5 points in 41 KHL games in 2013-2014, then in 2014-2015 he put up 11 goals in the NHL in only 39 games. Did Soshnikov play in a horrible division in the KHL or something?

Now. Don't get me wrong. Obviously KHL numbers don't transfer over to NHL numbers just like that. Some players can tear up the KHL and can't even crack an NHL roster, while some players can be serviceable NHL players and then wash out of the KHL or SEL. Some playing styles suit the big ice better, some the small, some times skating means more for some, etc.

But Soshnikov has me curious. I want to know more.

Not many people will be able to help you due to lack of exposure. I believe some KHL/Russian fans have said that he's a speedster with a great motor. Works hard along the boards and will go hard to the net with the puck. Good offensive game. He needs to get a lot stronger and probably find more consistency.

I think this highlight package from a game against SKA in the KHL shows the kind of player we're getting here. He's number 90. He reminds me a lot of Afinogenov from the highlights.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Harrington is very overrated around here. Loov, Leivo, Toninato are all better prospects than him.

natephil

Feb 13, 2010
I feel Nolan Vesey will end up high on our lists some point this year. not even able to vote for him after he put up 23 points as a freshmen in college in 36 games. Add to that a 6'2" 210lb frame. Think he will pass a lot of prospects on our list after being drafted in the 6th round last year.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
Calling it now: Lindgren will be top 10 this time next year, and top 5 the year after :nod:

WAY underrated, has top huge upside, and will continually climb the ranks here - he needs to be added. :help:

Turk Broda

Jun 2, 2009
Calling it now: Lindgren will be top 10 this time next year, and top 5 the year after :nod:

WAY underrated, has top huge upside, and will continually climb the ranks here - he needs to be added. :help:

I'm with you on this. He was the player that I was most excited about us drafting outside of Marner of course.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Viktor Loov is criminally underrated around here, I have him above Percy.

No one's being underrated, this is just what happens when you have depth. We have a really great amount of good prospects right now, and everyone is going to rank them a little differently. But I think most people will admit that it's all about personal preference from this point on. Some guys have to fall. Just because it's one you might like, doesn't mean they're underrated. I love Loov as well, and I'm excited to see what Lindgren does, or Timoshov, or Finn, etc., but there's only so much space for everyone. Being ranked in our top-15, hell, top-20 right now, is not an insult to any prospect.

Turk Broda

Jun 2, 2009
Not too long ago it felt as though we had maybe two prospects that seemed to have a legitimate chance of making it to the NHL. Now we have several. With another haul at next years draft and potentially through trades, we are going to be in good shape moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad