Prospect Info: 2015 Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Love our depth.

Kapanen (barely beating out Brown) and Harrington (probably our best D prospect) are suffering on this list due to the opposite of "shiny new thing" mentality. Some who hated the return on the Kessel deal really don't want to like the new leaf prospects.

Harrington is going to be a Lefebvre/Yuskevich type defender for us and has great character/leadership traits. We've needed those kind of defenders for a long time.

XxJammingxX

Mar 5, 2014
Harrington.

With Harrington/Leipsic guaranteed for #10 lets take a look at who wasn't in our system last year.

Rankings:
1. Mitch Marner -- 81.22%
2. William Nylander -- 97.50%
3. Kasperi Kapanen -- 51.18%
4. Connor Brown -- 80.00%
5. Stuart Percy -- 28.67%
6. Frederick Gauthier -- 29.64%
7. Andreas Johnson -- 32.43%
8. Jeremy Bracco -- 37.30 %
9. Travis Dermott -- 37.69%
10. Harrington / Leipsic

:handclap:

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
What would you say our prospect ranking league wide gets now in the upcoming ratings (Hockey Futures, Hockey News, etc).

I'm guessing we were probably around the #25 mark entering the draft. Now, having started to address the gap of top end talent, we're probably moving up to to the 10 - 15 range.

I could see up being top 5 after next years draft! :handclap:

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
What would you say our prospect ranking league wide gets now in the upcoming ratings (Hockey Futures, Hockey News, etc).

I'm guessing we were probably around the #25 mark entering the draft. Now, having started to address the gap of top end talent, we're probably moving up to to the 10 - 15 range.

I'd say around 10-15 is a reasonable estimation. It all depends how well our guys develop this season. We will likely pick up another (if not 2) blue chip prospect next summer.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008

I'd put us in the 6-10 range. A high end D prospect is probably all that's holding us back from a top 5 ranking. Our prospect pool will likely be insane next year with most of our best prospects likely to be taking this year to develop in the AHL/Minors.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Significant improvement..

The Hockey News had the Leafs #27 overall in April and next years Future watch should see at least +10 improvement and perhaps top 12 ranked.

What is interesting is that Dave Morrison in the Hockey News ranked Percy #2 and Bibeau #3 prospects in the system and in this ranking Bibeau has cracked the top 10 now post 2015 draft and trades.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010

We are definitely top 10, and potentially top 5.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Think I'd switch Johnson and Percy and have Dermott at #11 under Harrington and Leipsic personally but I'm pretty fine with the list so far. Going to be interesting to see what the list is next year since I'm sure the Leafs are going to put the top prospects through to the NHL slowly. Could have all the top 10 guys on the list again while trying to add our picks and potential trades next year.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
We are definitely top 10, and potentially top 5.

I don't think we're there yet. There are a lot of teams with pretty solid prospect pools, and not sure if we've cracked the top 10 yet - but I think we're closing in, and should definitely eclipse that at this point next year.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
Think I'd switch Johnson and Percy and have Dermott at #11 under Harrington and Leipsic personally but I'm pretty fine with the list so far. Going to be interesting to see what the list is next year since I'm sure the Leafs are going to put the top prospects through to the NHL slowly. Could have all the top 10 guys on the list again while trying to add our picks and potential trades next year.

It'll be VERY interesting to compare lists at this time next year. As well as adding new prospects, I think there will be significant movement from a lot of the players we just drafted if they have strong draft +1 years - there is A LOT of potential on the table with guys ranked lower here like Lindgren, Timashyov, Dzierkals, and Korostelev.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I don't think we're there yet. There are a lot of teams with pretty solid prospect pools, and not sure if we've cracked the top 10 yet - but I think we're closing in, and should definitely eclipse that at this point next year.

IMO:

*Including McEichel

1. EDM
2. WPG
3. BUF
4. NYI
5. ARI
5. ANA
6. DET
7. TOR
8. CGY
9. CBJ
10. PHI

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
IMO:

*Including McEichel

1. EDM
2. WPG
3. BUF
4. NYI
5. ARI
5. ANA
6. DET
7. TOR
8. CGY
9. CBJ
10. PHI

I think the top 7 are perfect.

Interesting to note. HF has ALL of Calgary's 2015 draftees already listed.... maybe they are working on updating it? Although checking 5 other teams, and nothing.

edwardslane

Aug 6, 2010
Nylander is considered the top prospect from last years draft not playing in the NHL..getting him at #8 was awesome. Nylander and Marner alone is 2 blue chippers
Kapanen is close to that catagory and a good year this year and imo he's right there with them.

We're looking solid! now if one or two of our Dmen can exceed expectations and have huge years i'd be very happy

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I think the top 7 are perfect.

Interesting to note. HF has ALL of Calgary's 2015 draftees already listed.... maybe they are working on updating it? Although checking 5 other teams, and nothing.

Thanks!

After McDavid and Eichel both graduate this year, there should not be a reason why the Leafs are not a top 5 system.

Should have started with the leafs... Very excited to see what Marner & Bracco's ratings are. I'm guessing 8.5B and 8D

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Thanks!

After McDavid and Eichel both graduate this year, there should not be a reason why the Leafs are not a top 5 system.

Should have started with the leafs... Very excited to see what Marner & Bracco's ratings are. I'm guessing 8.5B and 8D

9.0 C and 7.5 D

They never give a prospect a B ranking straight out of the gate unless it's a really special case. I.e. RNH, MacKinnon, McDavid, Eichel, etc. RNH got a 9.0B, I think Marner having a 9.0C is fair. Everyone in the top 5 should have a 9.0 ranking IMO.

My guesses:

Marner: 9.0 C
Dermott: 7.5 C (Even though I don't think he's worth more than Percy or Finn right now)
Bracco: 7.5 D
Nielsen: 6.5 C
Dzierkals: 7.0 D
Lindgren: 7.0 D
Timashov: 7.0 D
Desrochers: 7.0 C
Korostelev: 7.0 D

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Can someone please explain to me what the deal with Soshnikov is? Like, what his fatal flaws are that he needs to work on? What his skills and strengths are?

From what I can gather, 32 points in 57 games in the KHL at 21 years old is huge, no? Point totals like that in the KHL most likely translate over to top six point totals in the AHL.

So had we had a 21 year old in the AHL last year put up top six to first line point totals in the AHL last year for the Marlies, that player would most likely be in our to 10 prospects.

Marko Dano is pretty much exactly one year younger than Soshnikov at the same weight and height and Dano only produced 5 points in 41 KHL games in 2013-2014, then in 2014-2015 he put up 11 goals in the NHL in only 39 games. Did Soshnikov play in a horrible division in the KHL or something?

Now. Don't get me wrong. Obviously KHL numbers don't transfer over to NHL numbers just like that. Some players can tear up the KHL and can't even crack an NHL roster, while some players can be serviceable NHL players and then wash out of the KHL or SEL. Some playing styles suit the big ice better, some the small, some times skating means more for some, etc.

But Soshnikov has me curious. I want to know more.

I think most here just don't have much of a clue about him, moi aussi.

The only thing I heard from an individual that knows of him is that he is a very raw talent with lots of skill & that he will need direction. Sounds like he could have the potential to take off as a real diamond in the rough or completely disappear in a more controlled game. Good gamble.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
9.0 C and 7.5 D

They never give a prospect a B ranking straight out of the gate unless it's a really special case. I.e. RNH, MacKinnon, McDavid, Eichel, etc. RNH got a 9.0B, I think Marner having a 9.0C is fair. Everyone in the top 5 should have a 9.0 ranking IMO.

My guesses:

Marner: 9.0 C
Dermott: 7.5 C (Even though I don't think he's worth more than Percy or Finn right now)
Bracco: 7.5 D
Nielsen: 6.5 C
Dzierkals: 7.0 D
Lindgren: 7.0 D
Timashov: 7.0 D
Desrochers: 7.0 C
Korostelev: 7.0 D

I'd would be ecstatic if Marner is a 9. - I know it doesn't actually mean anything, but it's just nice to see.

Ekblad was only an 8.5B, do you really think they'll rate Hanifin at a 9? Personally I don't think he could sniff his jock strap.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'd would be ecstatic if Marner is a 9. - I know it doesn't actually mean anything, but it's just nice to see.

Ekblad was only an 8.5B, do you really think they'll rate Hanifin at a 9? Personally I don't think he could sniff his jock strap.

9. Elite Talent – possesses the potential for greatness, a perennial All-Star throughout his career.

Defense: Nicklas Lidstrom, Zdeno Chara, Chris Pronger
Forward: Ilya Kovalchuk, Joe Thornton, Eric Staal
Goaltender: Martin Brodeur, Roberto Luongo, Henrik Lundqvist

That was preseason though. Hanifin before this season has more potential than Ekblad before last season in my opinion. It'll be mighty hard for Hanifin to match Ekblad's performance, but right now, I think Hanifin deserves to be a 9.0. Really, the rankings are quite wonky and often out of date. They help with judging some of the lower level talents and where they may end up, but that's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad