2015 IIHF World Championships Discussion Thread

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
CELOmBlW0AA6SK4.jpg

A sellout of 8,812 were on hand to watch Jack Campbell, the infamous 2010 first round draft pick of the Dallas Stars backstop the Americans to a victory over the Russians in the 2015 IIHF World Championships. This was Campbell’s first time representing his country since the 2012 World Junior Championships.

Read more here on OTWinner.com

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Doesn't sound like he got shelled much. 15 saves of 17 shots isn't exactly spectacular.

But I can't be upset with a win. He needs it for his confidence.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I'm surprised USA threw Campbell in today and not Saturday... unless he's the guy they consider their starter.

There was no chance he was going to play Friday after the insane travel to get from Rockford, IL, on Wednesday night to the Czech Republic for games Friday. I'm guessing that could have contributed to him not playing Saturday either.

After Finland though, Russia was hands down the top competition the US was going to face in this round. It's really not even close when you consider their next opponents are Belarus, Denmark, Slovenia, and Slovakia. I thought he would play a game or two, but his start against Russia is pretty surprising ... not that any of the other US goalies have much experience either. You'd expect a team to throw their best at Russia though which means maybe the do think that's Jack.

Honestly seems like there's a good chance Campbell lands at least two of the next 4 games, and he should get consideration for the elimination round if he keeps playing well.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Jokipakka also scored.

Exiting to see what Lindell can do next season..

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Exiting to see what Lindell can do next season..
The Stars fans will be real happy with him a couple of years down the road.

He's been a true surprise standout player for Team Finland. He's their #1 d-man now, being the first choice to pretty much any situation, clocking most minutes, AINEC. And that's quite the feat since the team features three versatile veteran players with plenty of major tournament experience, any of whom could've potentially adopted the role. But nope, out of the left field came this kid and became the management's go-to-guy.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
The Stars fans will be real happy with him a couple of years down the road.

He's been a true surprise standout player for Team Finland. He's their #1 d-man now, being the first choice to pretty much any situation, clocking most minutes, AINEC. And that's quite the feat since the team features three versatile veteran players with plenty of major tournament experience, any of whom could've potentially adopted the role. But nope, out of the left field came this kid and became the management's go-to-guy.

How would you describe his game? I've likened him to Seabrook but that seems too good to be true. Smart good two way player who's probably better defensively than offensively but a minute eater.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
How would you describe his game? I've likened him to Seabrook but that seems too good to be true. Smart good two way player who's probably better defensively than offensively but a minute eater.
In that case I'd say not quite like that, as he's definitely more visible offensively. He's no slouch defensively either and knows how to play the smart game in the own zone. He has a good set of moves, and doesn't do anything hasty with the puck. He's not all that physical, but makes up for it with very smart positioning.

Like I said though, the best of him comes out on the offense. Likes to join the rush, excels on PP. Has a good eye for quick passes. Possesses a hard and accurate shot, making him a genuine threat on the blueline.

While he's already pretty much a perfect package for European hockey, it remains to be seen how quickly he can adapt to the NHL defensively, since he'll have far less room and time there. Offensively he should fit right in. He should have every tool necessary to become a good all-around package though, because he doesn't have to make anything up for the lack of frame, like Sami Vatanen for example.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
He is better offensively than defensively.. and his skating needs some work IMO..

Ya he kinda skates strange... but on a good note, he keeps up perfectly fine on the big ice... I am very curious how he will be in North America next year

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Jack Campbell was pretty bad today, but defenders didn't help him at all..

Yeesh, 5 goals on 23 shots.

I didn't watch the game, but I'm going to assume it was bad. I don't think the US is supposed to lose to Belarus...

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Yeesh, 5 goals on 23 shots.

I didn't watch the game, but I'm going to assume it was bad. I don't think the US is supposed to lose to Belarus...

The defense was not as bad as it was made out to be today. Campbell is really starting on the bust trend. His inconstant play from one game to another is really starting to take notice.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Klingberg has looked bad. Probably one of Sweden's two worst defencemen.

Had much higher hopes after that great season of his.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Seguin and Eakin left off the scoreboard in Canada's 10-1 win vs. Austria

Spezza 2G 2A ;) - really clicked with Duchene

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Seguin with a hatty against Belarus.

He's tied with Forsberg for first in the tournament in goals with 8.

Spezza leads the tournament in points with 13.

Good showing from the Stars. Klingberg's been ill, apparently - going to assume his poor play is a result of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad