Prospect Info: 2015 Habs Board Prospect Rankings #16

Status
Not open for further replies.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Because from every player remaining, I don't see any player with a lot of top 6 F/Top 4 D/#1 G upside. Thomas could become IMO a good offensive 3rd line player in the future.

Not sure Thomas becomes anything useful but he has more games under his belt than most of our other prospects will ever have(In other words, not everyone makes it). Apart from that though, he won't be in the NHL. Good shot and all but he needs to take a huge step because he's going to get knocked down the depth chart this year and very quickly.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
As a sidenote : this is the last season where Nygren is considered a prospect by HFstandards.

Which means, I dunno why he's receiving votes, considering his likelihood to make the team before "graduating" is about 0%.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
As a sidenote : this is the last season where Nygren is considered a prospect by HFstandards.

Which means, I dunno why he's receiving votes, considering his likelihood to make the team before "graduating" is about 0%.

Because some people prioritize who's "better", not who's "closer". And other people vote based on their subjective balancing of both. As long as he is one of the team's assets, and as long as he fits the definition, he has value to reckon in this kind of vote.

I mean, with Subban and Petry locked up on the right side, there's also about 0% chance that all of Juulsen, Tinordi, and Lernout graduate with us, but that didn't stop everyone from voting for them already...

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
First, Tinordi is a LHS.
Second, Juulsen and Lernout have quite a bit more time ahead of them before graduation. They don't have to beat Pateryn (or Gilbert or Tinordi) in order to be possible graduates. This is Nygren last season of eligibility as a prospect, and the chances he makes the team this season (while playing the whole season in Sweden) are probably lower than Dalton Thrower's chances to displace PK Subban in the depth chart.

I mean, sure, Nygren could come back in a few years. But we'll be graduated by then.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
First, Tinordi is a LHS.
Second, Juulsen and Lernout have quite a bit more time ahead of them before graduation. They don't have to beat Pateryn (or Gilbert or Tinordi) in order to be possible graduates. This is Nygren last season of eligibility as a prospect, and the chances he makes the team this season (while playing the whole season in Sweden) are probably lower than Dalton Thrower's chances to displace PK Subban in the depth chart.

I mean, sure, Nygren could come back in a few years. But we'll be graduated by then.

He still have a better upside than say Morgan Ellis. Who cares if he reach it after graduation? The important part is where he'll be on the depth chart (top-6? top-4?) when he plays in the NHL.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
He still have a better upside than say Morgan Ellis. Who cares if he reach it after graduation? The important part is where he'll be on the depth chart (top-6? top-4?) when he plays in the NHL.

Morgan Ellis has 0 vote, Nygren has 34. I'd say both will be rated pretty much where they deserve.

Nice avy MXD.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
First, Tinordi is a LHS.

Nygren would have played in the NHL last year if he hadn't gotten injured. He was first on the call up list, ahead of Tinordi, Pateryn etc. Aside from Dietz and maybe some of the 2015 draftees(since you can't write them off three weeks after being drafted) I'm pretty confident the majority of the guys left will never play in the NHL again aside from a 3-4 game tryout.

Seb

Jul 15, 2006
Nygren would have played in the NHL last year if he hadn't gotten injured. He was first on the call up list, ahead of Tinordi, Pateryn etc. Aside from Dietz and maybe some of the 2015 draftees(since you can't write them off three weeks after being drafted) I'm pretty confident the majority of the guys left will never play in the NHL again aside from a 3-4 game tryout.

That was last year and he was #9 for a reason. It's very clear why he's dropping in the chart.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
That was last year and he was #9 for a reason. It's very clear why he's dropping in the chart.

Nygren's dropping because his bridge with the organization is burned and this fanbase is especially good at tearing guys down for no reason. He'd be a top 5 prospect if he were signed with us. He'll come to the NHL when we no longer control his rights and people here will spread non-sense about him for his entire career.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Nygren is dropping because he's older than just about every of our prospects and because, well, being a prospect implies there is a prospect of playing in the NHL at some point before turning a certain age.

And signing a multi-year deal in Sweden doesn't exactly go towards "prospect of playing in the NHL". I don't think he'd have made it this season anyways (I just don't see him displacing Pateryn, at all, considering the team makeup). And that was in the event of him actually staying in NA. And he would have been waiver eligible... I think.

His case is completely different than, say, Reway or Lehkonen, who have quite a bit of years ahead of them.

Still... What happens with his rights ? I have nothing against him and he could be a good option at some point. He needs to be slightly better to be guaranteed a spot (don't think he's back in NA without a guaranteed spot), but he's really close.

Last edited:

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
Dietz. I won't vote for Nygren because I vote for the best Habs prospects and I think it's clear that Nygren will never play for the Habs.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Nygren was ahead of Pateryn on the depth chart last year in the eyes of management. He was going to be called up at the end of October. Don't see why it would have been any different this year. There's a decent chance if Nygren worked out Bergevin never would have acquired Petry.

Seb

Jul 15, 2006
Nygren was ahead of Pateryn on the depth chart last year in the eyes of management. He was going to be called up at the end of October. Don't see why it would have been any different this year. There's a decent chance if Nygren worked out Bergevin never would have acquired Petry.

Last year he was a member of the Hamilton Bulldogs. Now he's sgned for 4 years in Sweden. You don't seem to understand the prospect chart depth isn't only based on skill level.

Last edited:

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Last year he was a member of the Hamilton Bulldogs. Now he's sgned for 4 years in Sweden. You don't seem to understand the prospect chart dept isn't only based on skill level.

I didn't say it was. Did you read even a single one of my posts? I said Nygren dropped for reasons because he's burned his bridges with the organization, not because of skill. Then you guys started arguing he dropped for other reasons such as other people being better than him, when that clearly was not the case.

Seb

Jul 15, 2006
I didn't say it was. Did you read even a single one of my posts? I said Nygren dropped for reasons because he's burned his bridges with the organization, not because of skill. Then you guys started arguing he dropped for other reasons such as other people being better than him, when that clearly was not the case.

Yes I did and I must've not understood the point of them all because it seemed like you were implying Nygren should've been ranked much higher in the depth chart.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I guess we add Ryan Johnston and Trunev next poll.

EDIT: Also, confirmed by the man itself, Nygren has an NHL out-clause.

Last edited:

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax

Uh... "dropping in the chart"? He went from "will never translate to North American hockey" (not everyone's opinion, obviously) the year after being drafted, then "will never be more than an AHLer" and "small sample size" after his first stint in Hamilton, to being considered first call-up before the injury last year. Seems like he has actually been climbing higher and faster than some have noticed. Until his rights are gone, or his NHL-out clause erased from his new contract, he's quite simply ahead of some of the guys who have been voted to the list already.

As was already said, he got to the point of being ahead of Tinordi (who MXD hasn't noticed playing right defense lately, it would seem...) AND Pateryn, and then got injured. I get that people don't expect him to play for our team in the future necessarily, but to evaluate him as a prospect right now has more to do with skill and development than jersey crests seen in crystal balls and considerations of depth charts. Even if his value is affected by going back to Sweden for now, it's his quality as a prospect that a "top prospects" list should attempt to evaluate, unless it wants to be a flavoured-up ranking of oldest to youngest within the allowable parameters, for the most part.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
As was already said, he got to the point of being ahead of Tinordi (who MXD hasn't noticed playing right defense lately, it would seem...) AND Pateryn, and then got injured. I get that people don't expect him to play for our team in the future necessarily, but to evaluate him as a prospect right now has more to do with skill and development than jersey crests seen in crystal balls and considerations of depth charts. Even if his value is affected by going back to Sweden for now, it's his quality as a prospect that a "top prospects" list should attempt to evaluate, unless it wants to be a flavoured-up ranking of oldest to youngest within the allowable parameters, for the most part.

I said he was a LHS.
He did play RD, but at some point, that could've been strictly circumstancial.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I said he was a LHS.

Yes, and in saying so you suggested that he wouldn't be stuck in the logjam behind Subban and Petry? I don't get it, why else point out the obvious - "first of all", at that?

Whatever, though. He really isn't likely to play much, if at all, for us in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad