2015 Frozen Four: North Dakota vs BU | Providence vs UNO

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Unfortunately. They belong in a studio. Can't ESPN just borrow Gary Thorne for a bit? I'm sure Bill Clement could be available...no idea what he's doing currently.

Bill Clement does Flyers games in-studio, and goes on the road whenever Keith Jones is on NBC. I'm sure that's the way he wants it, but with the World Cup being held in one town, I'm sure he wouldn't be adverse to doing it if ESPN wanted him.

I don't hate Melrose, but they can't have him laughing and hooting and hollering during game broadcasts.

My guess is that Steve Levy will get the gig on PXP.

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
Refs made the right call on that last goal.
That was on the worst calls I've ever seen. The rule clearly says that should be waved off. No doubt about it. Really sad a college game is determined by those wearing stripes.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
State of Hockey said:
That was on the worst calls I've ever seen. The rule clearly says that should be waved off. No doubt about it. Really sad a college game is determined by those wearing stripes

It was a goal. That the right call was made seems to be the consensus of the neutral college hockey community as well. Certainly tough to lose on a goal like that, but absolutely the right call.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Providence up 6-2 in the 2nd. Another #1 coming down

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Fantastic end to the game, and major props to Miami for fighting back, and especially for Belpedio for making a highlight reel "save."

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
It was a goal. That the right call was made seems to be the consensus of the neutral college hockey community as well. Certainly tough to lose on a goal like that, but absolutely the right call.
Absolutely not. Nobody that's commented on it seemed to have even seen the play. The rule and video is clear. The video clearly shows that the RIT player (Garbowsky?) hung a left and skating into the straight path of the backwards-skating defender. He extended his arms, knocked the defender off balance, and back into his own goalie. Puck goes in, goal waved off, correct call on the ice.

Yet somehow they reverse a good call. The official statement on the goal reversal that the defender initiated contact is completely ridiculous. The video clearly and definitively shows the opposite. It's really sad to see games decided in a video room instead of on the ice.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Absolutely not. Nobody that's commented on it seemed to have even seen the play. The rule and video is clear. The video clearly shows that the RIT player (Garbowsky?) hung a left and skating into the straight path of the backwards-skating defender. He extended his arms, knocked the defender off balance, and back into his own goalie. Puck goes in, goal waved off, correct call on the ice.

Yet somehow they reverse a good call. The official statement on the goal reversal that the defender initiated contact is completely ridiculous. The video clearly and definitively shows the opposite. It's really sad to see games decided in a video room instead of on the ice.
The video room is where plays like this should be decided. Watch the video, get it right. Nice to see the ref swallow his pride and reverse the initial incorrect call. I don't think either player really saw each other when they came together. I think the bigger problem is that he seemed to lose track of where he was on the ice. He acts like he's going to block the shot while he's going back into his own goaltender. And Garbowsky didn't extend his arms until the contact happened. Like I said, it didn't even look like he saw him.

And LOL at suggesting that national writers and analysts (including some from the arena in the press box) somehow didn't see it and are still commenting on it just because they saw it differently from you...

Highlights for the game for those who are interested: http://www.ncaa.com/video/icehockey...onal-semifinal-rochester-inst-minn-st-mankato

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
1/2 of the Frozen Four is settled.

North Dakota vs BU

Tomorrow's games (Central):

4:00 - Providence vs Denver
6:30 - RIT vs Omaha

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
And the matchups are set

2015 Frozen Four
North Dakota vs BU
Providence vs UNO

.... and now for an unfortunately long wait.... April 9th can't get here fast enough.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
We all picked Providence to make the FF in our brackets, right? Too bad for the delay to take away the great momentum these teams have. Providence is looking like Yale did 2 years ago, the Blais Brigade is playing amazingly well considering how young the team is, NoDak and BU are doing what they do. It makes for some great match ups to look forward to.

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
What are attendance expectations for the tournament? I'm sure the BU games will sell out.

While the regional games have been sparsely attended, The Frozen Four usually sells out the day tickets go on sale. Fans of a lot different teams snatch those bad boys up; you'll see jerseys of lots of teams at the FF. I'm sure the Bah-stonians snatched up tickets in a heartbeat hoping to see Eichel.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
While the regional games have been sparsely attended, The Frozen Four usually sells out the day tickets go on sale. Fans of a lot different teams snatch those bad boys up; you'll see jerseys of lots of teams at the FF. I'm sure the Bah-stonians snatched up tickets in a heartbeat hoping to see Eichel.

The west regional was anything but sparsely attended. Scheels Arena was overflowing and it was loud. Could of easily tripled the attendance of the 5,400 that were there. Great atmosphere and it was run well. I can see them hosting again in the future.

UND played a total team game against SCSU. I don't know if I have ever seen that many blocked shots as I did in the third period Saturday night. The Huskies could not get anything through to the net and it was amazing to see how every Sioux player threw himself in front of shots. April 9 can't get here soon enough. 7 Frozen Fours for coach Hakstol out of his 11 years as head coach. Time to get that Natty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u84q90Zywjw

Last edited:

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
The west regional was anything but sparsely attended. Scheels Arena was overflowing and it was loud. Could of easily tripled the attendance of the 5,400 that were there. Great atmosphere and it was run well. I can see them hosting again in the future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u84q90Zywjw

That was more a case of being in a venue fit for the occasion....but really should've been a larger place for a de Facto home game for NoDak. The other venues were at about 1/2 to 2/3 capacity for a majority of the games. When you compare the overall attendance to the old WCHA finals in The Twin Cities it's not flattering. A lot of conference tournaments and regionals have been tanking on attendance in recent years; there was a whopping 6500 at The Joe for the Mich/Goophs b1g final.

Good luck to your boys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad