2015 Draft

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
That seems a bit risky to me. Although I guess it depend on how one views Draisaitl. I don't think they'll be looking to move him just yet.

Yeah, it's risky, but that would be a great deal for the Blues. We create a lot of cap space, we get a really high-end prospect that can go to the AHL and we likely already have the replacements for both players in the system (Fabbri & Sobotka). Or we can go out in UFA and get someone (Panarin/Ward/Williams). Oilers would never consider it though.

Their issues are in goal and on defense. I think they have no move Eberle for cap purposes and maybe they elect to keep Draisaitl because of that, but I think they have to consider moving him for a young defenseman. What's more likely is that they find a way to throw money at Sekera in UFA, which will hurt them long term.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
My god are Oilers fans going over the top. They're gloating as if they're set up for a dynasty. Dallas and Colorado have as much talent, and better goaltending and defense, and they're nowhere near contenders. The arrogance is unbelievable. They still suck even if McDavid hits triple digits next year.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
They done the same thing when they won the lottery for Yakupov. We're in a cap world, and to have success you need good management. The Penguins have had 2 of the top 5 forwards in the game for the majority of the last decade, better goaltending, better defense and better management and have 1 Cup because their management was only average.

Getting McDavid has secured the future of the idiots in charge for a few years, so they aren't going to be truly competitive during that time. Once they finally get rid of them then RNH, Hall and Eberle won't be far off UFA status.

Even looking at the fans lineup projections is baffling; most want to see RNH, Roy and McDavid down the middle next season. Recipe for failure. McDavid makes Roy redundant; go get a Berglund/Sutter/Bozak/Stoll to play the third line.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
They may be able to trade for some impactful defensive help, but they simply won't find an elite goaltender on the UFA or trade markets. They simply don't ever make it there. Elliott may end up being their best option in net. I wonder if they make a run at Phaneuf or if they look for someone younger.

If they do end up coveting Elliott, I wonder if Elliott and Gunnarsson would be enough to pry the Pittsburgh 1st and Scrivens away from them. If not, maybe we add Bergy and they add a young LHD like Marincin. If we're not getting the Pens 1st (or someone like Draisaitl) I would prefer to keep Bergy for another deal to free up cap space.

StLHokie

May 27, 2014
North Carolina
Fabbri + 2nd for OEL?
Schwartz for OEL + 2nd/3rd?

We need a young LD and Arizona will be drafting Hanifin most likely.

First one Arizona laughs and hangs up the phone. An under 25 top 2 defensemen for a guy that has yet to play an NHL game and a 2nd round pick? Would you deal Shattenkirk for Max Domi and a 2nd?

Second one would likely be straight up, no picks involved.

TheGoose88

Sep 6, 2011
Stl
They may be able to trade for some impactful defensive help, but they simply won't find an elite goaltender on the UFA or trade markets. They simply don't ever make it there. Elliott may end up being their best option in net. I wonder if they make a run at Phaneuf or if they look for someone younger.

If they do end up coveting Elliott, I wonder if Elliott and Gunnarsson would be enough to pry the Pittsburgh 1st and Scrivens away from them. If not, maybe we add Bergy and they add a young LHD like Marincin. If we're not getting the Pens 1st (or someone like Draisaitl) I would prefer to keep Bergy for another deal to free up cap space.

Agreed on all fronts. I think Ells is probably Edmonton's best bet, but like you said, don't want to give him away. Getting someone like Marincin would be fantastic. I'd love to see the Blues pull in a young LHD this offseason. Whether that's via trade or draft, I don't mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad