2015 Draft Thread – "McEichel" – Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Local kids, Sabres ties, sons of any former NHLers?
There's a Canisius kid, Matt McLeod, who I think could end up being a late pick.
He will have a big role on an Oakville team that should improve greatly this year and is the brother of Michael McLeod, Mississauga's 1st round pick in the most recent OHL Draft and one of the best 98 forwards in Ontario.
He also has a 99 brother that could end up being a high pick in the OHL this year too, but too early to say for sure.

Kyle Capobiano's brother Tony, a goalie, just graduated from Canisius.
Kyle is probably only a late pick at this point due to his lack of size and softness but definitely has the skill to go higher if he puts it all together this year.

The only Sabre tie I can think of off the top of my head right now, and mind you it's been a long day, is Scott Pearon's son Chase.
Scott spent a season and a half in the organization in the mid 90's.
He's another potential late rounder but reportedly developed quite a bit year over year from where he was in Minor Midget and I liked the limited amount I saw out of him in the WJAC.

Also, just to throw another name out there..: keep an eye on A.J. Greer.
He first caught my eye in midget, playing on a powerhouse team that included the likes of Daniel Audette, Laurent Dauphin, and Frédérik Gauthier.
Since that time, he has grown three or four inches, put on about 40 pounds, and I've unfortunately only seen him play once because he moved on to prep school.
He was co-captain at Kimball Union this year (former Maine head coach Tim Whitehead is now there) where he accelerated his schooling and will play his draft year at BU, possibly alongside Eichel, rather than staying at school or going to the USHL.

He has not gotten much attention, but the few reports out there have been very good.
Here's a recent blurb:
96 F AJ Greer – Kimball Union – Boston University

“Maybe Milan Lucic in the making. A true power forward, if he was playing major junior I think everyone would know about him by now. He has the big body, hard on the puck as anybody. Honestly, if all these kids start going there (to BU), if they keep getting these studs in at a young age like him, college hockey is going to get a lot better. He’s probably going to play with Eichel if he’s there, I might put him in there. He was my favorite of that trio at KUA. He was the best kid in Beantown that summer and he was the youngest kid.”
http://overtheboards.net/scout-quotes-2014-15-16-nhl-draft/

And here's a feature on him from the same site.

Lots of potentially special players in this class..

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Here's RLR's preliminary list:
1. C. McDavid, C, Erie OHL
2. N. Hanifin, D, US NTDP
3. J. Eichel, RW, US NTDP
4. P. Zacha, C, Liberec CZE
5. P. Bittner, LW, Portland WHL
6. M. Barzal, C, Seattle WHL
7. T. Konecny, C, Ottawa OHL
8. J. Roy, D, Sherbrooke QMJHL
9. M. Marner, RW, London OHL
10. O. Kylington, D, Farjestad SWE

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
Looks to be a really strong pool, but well see how the year goes. I see Buffalo having a better year, but still lots of good prospects in the top 10.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
What would you rather happen. Enroth, Hodgson, Myers, and Ennis breakout this year and Sam Reinhart wins the Calder. Or Enroth, Hodgson, Myers, and Ennis continue inconsistent play and Reinhart stays in junior?

Obviously if those players breakout we probably are not a bottom 5 team and our chances of landing McDavid or Eichel are lesser.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
What would you rather happen. Enroth, Hodgson, Myers, and Ennis breakout this year and Sam Reinhart wins the Calder. Or Enroth, Hodgson, Myers, and Ennis continue inconsistent play and Reinhart stays in junior?

Obviously if those players breakout we probably are not a bottom 5 team and our chances of landing McDavid or Eichel are lesser.

Breakout easily.

Could just move our picks to move up in the draft, or just stay put and pick 3 more 1st round talents.

Last edited:

TossinSauce

Dec 16, 2013
Upstate NY
I didn't see Doughty when he was younger but many people who watched a lot of him said he could control a game as well as anybody as a draft eligible. A lot of those same people have said Hanifin is just as good at the same age.

Watched Hanifin at the high school level at Sebs. He controlled every aspect of the game when he was out, the only mistake I saw all game was him catching an edge when transitioning back. He's going to be special IMO.

Fly Boy

Aye Sir!
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan
That's kind of my point though. I think Ristolainen is our only defensemen who has a shot at being a #1 and even then it's likely he's a great #2. Our defensive depth is actually thinner than a lot of teams (go look at Philadelphia's).

I will no fully admit this is a need. Never saw Hoff getting bought out, especially the very next day after.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
This season is going to be even worse than the last :laugh:

Nah, it's going to be great!

guZFsII.png

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013

Break out year and get McDavid or Eichel with Islanders pick.

Bps21*

This season is going to be even worse than the last :laugh:

Can't wait.

We were in last place with Miller, Ehrhoff, Ott, Moulson/Vanek. Now...LASTER PLACE. Commit to it and go all the way. Guarantee me Eichel with a chance of McDavid. Hopefully the Islanders don't improve much and I get another great prospect there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad