2015 Draft Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Kane and Toews getting $11 million a piece makes me doubt he'll take anything less than $8.

Dec 30, 2013
Dear estallo,

you have said you want to make playoffs with the #hcanes. please prove this by signing a four year deal at league minimum so the team can sign a star player to play with you. you have made your big dollars already, so do everything you can to make playoffs. a good captain would do it.

thx
hfboards #canes fans

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
NHLPA would nix the contract. Can't have too many star players take major discounts, because then it becomes a standard that GMs can negotiate by, and thus, make less money for all players in general.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
We talked about this a couple of months ago, and I'll stay with what I said then. I'd be surprised if we didn't have to at least match what Staal makes to get him to stay, and that he'll likely want a raise. If he plays this bad again, maybe theres a possibility of no raise. Estaal on the open market today would get a raise IMO. Top line center with size, and you don't have to trade for him? Maybe it would be relatively short term but he'd get it.

I don't expect a hometown discount. I hope I'm wrong about all of this.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Not being rude, but seriously?

Estaal gone after next year or sooner.
Jstaal getting 6 mil for 3rd line talent.
CWard gone after next year or sooner.
Semin's contract.
Skinner is a shell of himself.
Our defense still sucks.
Our farm depth might be the worst in the NHL, so no help coming.

I'm sorry, but we are going to be much worse before we get better. These comments like "we need to draft the guy that will help soonest" are nonsensical.

Players familiar and used to new coaches system
JStaal playing a full year
CWard - doesn't matter in grand scheme of things
Semin has already said he'll be in Raleigh for most of the summer; sounds like a turnaround to me
Skinner has just as much chance of getting back to 30 goal mark
Very good defense coach (SSmith), an asset or two added helps immensely
Not depending on much from the farm team

I'm sorry but this team in this market has to ALWAYS appear to compete. I take Ronnie and Bill Peters at their word.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I can guarantee you now. There is no way Eric Staal will get a raise, and not one team will offer him it. His numbers are obviously declining, his age is 30 which says he is about 3 years past his prime. No one is going to give a guy a raise if his performance isn't up and is past his prime.

-I fully expect the max he will get per year is $7.5 on the high amount.
-My prediction is we lock him up 4 years at about $26m for the length of the contract
-I do suspect the deal will be somewhat front loaded.
-So the contract will probably look like 8m-7m-6m-5m.
I do think if he hit the open market he could get a 5-6 year deal in about the $7.5m range.

Are hometown discount is that we get about $700K per year discount and less term.

Last edited:

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Kane and Toews getting $11 million a piece makes me doubt he'll take anything less than $8.

Jonathan Toews & Patrick Kane were both 25 and just entering their primes when they signed these deals. Not a very good comparison in my opinion. Completely different contract for Staal as he is leaving his prime at the moment.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I can guarantee you now. There is no way Eric Staal will get a raise, and not one team will offer him it. His numbers are obviously declining, his age is 30 which says he is about 3 years past his prime. No one is going to give a guy a raise if his performance isn't up and is past his prime.

-I fully expect the max he will get per year is $7.5 on the high amount.
-My prediction is we lock him up 4 years at about $26 per year.
-I do suspect the deal will be somewhat front loaded.
-So the contract will probably look like 8m-7m-6m-5m.
I do think if he hit the open market he could get a 5-6 year deal in about the $7.5m range.

Are hometown discount we get is about $700K per year and less term.

I wish I could agree, sounds nice. Very optimistic. He'd be the number one ufa by a mile. They don't take cuts usually. Ain't about what he's actually worth.

Are Getzlaf, Perry, Parise, Suter all leaving their primes? Or can they hang for a few more seasons?

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I'd agree if he hasn't just played the last half of the season on a broken foot, and had issues on the ice that would logically stem from a broken foot.

bluedevil58*

SERIOUS DEBATE TIME:

Jeff Skinner plus 1st round pick this year for 1st overall pick in the draft. Would or wouldn't you?

Discuss!

bluedevil58*

Can someone go out and limb and tell me what the chances are that we end up with the 1st overall pick in the draft this year?

bluedevil58*

the #fancystats say 8.5%

fc2fca5cc8833d35c92822a6af386914480a4e7c2411a6329d9742eb6bc89110.jpg

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Canes win lottery and are pleased to announce they will be trading the 1st OA to the Carolina Hurricanes for the 1st OA + Skinner.

Heck of a trade for GMRF.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I wish I could agree, sounds nice. Very optimistic. He'd be the number one ufa by a mile. They don't take cuts usually. Ain't about what he's actually worth.

Are Getzlaf, Perry, Parise, Suter all leaving their primes? Or can they hang for a few more seasons?

None of those guys showed any sign of a decline did they? Like two consecutive seasons of career low performances?

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I think it's funny that almost no team is immune from some type of conspiracy theory. Even the Hurricanes. Bettman wants hockey in the south to succeed. Teams like Tampa, SJ and Carolina have proven that's possible with a winning team. Carolina would instantly be a playoff team with McDavid and fill the building again. The core is young enough that it could propel them to prolonged success with some shrewd moves by Francis. It gives Fleury and company a chance to develop at a steady pace rather than being rushed. We know what Skinner is capable of, Lindholm is developing, and Faulk is starting to break out offensively. If they can figure out some goaltending, they might be in business to challenge for a Cup for an extended period. Interest would be at an all time high and revenues would surely follow suit. Boom, Bettman is right.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Well, I'm of the opinion that they're not *that* far off from being a playoff team. That doesn't mean comfortably in. Bubble in is still bubble in. I think if everything goes right, and McDavid is as good as soon as everyone thinks he will be, that's like adding a first line center to a team who doesn't really have one at the moment. The defense is still atrocious, but I think it could happen.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I'm with WTF as well, but if one of Eric, Jordan, Faulk, or <insert 1A goalie> goes down, nothing else matters (not even McDavid). If we bubble in next year, Fleury comes up the following, there's some decent momentum for a few runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad