2015 Draft Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I don't know where you're getting this from but it's absolutely not true.

Provorov has been regarded by many as being the most NHL ready d-man in the draft. He could play in the NHL next year and will undoubtedly be in the league his second year post-draft. Werenski seems like he'd take the longest of the three because of how raw he is but I'd still say two years for him.

I think we've all read competing reports good and bad about Hanifin, Provorov (okay, no real bad ones here), and Werenski. We've also read about how long it takes for blueliners to get ready for the rigors of the NHL. Perhaps they exceed the typical timetable, but I would never count on it.

My point still remains, give me the forward prospect 1st as I believe they will have earlier impact.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
There are some who cannot decipher it. I'd rather not go the "semin4captain" route... Where you never can tell whether he's being serious (rare but usually quite cogent points) or just having fun (more often than not).

Actually bd58 is the worst - because for 6 months he was completely serious, and now he pretends he's trolling. Like he was trolling the whole time. But we all know he wasnt.

um bd58 is good poster and very valuable to this msg board. i have learned much from him and am always amazed by his insects.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
um bd58 is good poster and very valuable to this msg board. i have learned much from him and am always amazed by his insects.

I love that when you actually think about it, both of your statements are valid, insects be damned.

Dec 30, 2013
I think we've all read competing reports good and bad about Hanifin, Provorov (okay, no real bad ones here), and Werenski. We've also read about how long it takes for blueliners to get ready for the rigors of the NHL. Perhaps they exceed the typical timetable, but I would never count on it.

My point still remains, give me the forward prospect 1st as I believe they will have earlier impact.

Do you want the player who will have the earliest impact or who will have the best impact?

I'll take Option 2 10/10 times unless we are serious contenders for the Cup

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Do you want the player who will have the earliest impact or who will have the best impact?

As I've said in the past, my thoughts come from this basis:

1. I want BPA who fills glaring organizational need (our forward depth is abysmal)
2. My contention is this team isn't too far from competing
3. Big, scoring Top 6 forward and Top 4 defenseman gets us a long way there
4. No blueliner picked in this year's draft will fill that Top 4 need for a while
5. We are building a nice stable of defensemen in our system, at least 3 of which are likely Top 4 capable

With that being said, I wouldn't hate Hanifin, Provorov, or Werenski if that's who we ended with. As deep as this draft allegedly is, it is deeper on the back end. After about the 1st 40 picks or so, quality forwards begin to get more sparse. I would have been all about Hanifin/Provorov is we had LAs pick this year. Lots of good forward prospects later in the 1st round (Bittner, Boeser, Conner, Svechnikov). That is also why my preference is to take a forward with our 1st pick and then pick a blueliner with our 2nd or 3rd round pick. The picking's are just more robust.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY

All other factors being equal...I would take the guy with the highest floor because we're the Canes so we are never going to fire Jeff Daniels and thus either need to draft kids that might skip the AHL (college defensemen are particularly good for this) or kids that can't possibly be ruined by playing for the Checkers.

That cuts our draft list significantly. Given the either/or choice, high floor typically means earlier impact so usually option #1. Option #2s become Zach Boychuk and Ryan Murphy because they have to spend developmental time in Charlotte. I realize that's cynical but it seems the less time a guy needs to spend in Charlotte regardless of his ceiling potential, the better they play in the NHL.

How many high-potential/low-floor prospects can we keep ruining?

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
As I've said in the past, my thoughts come from this basis:

1. I want BPA who fills glaring organizational need (our forward depth is abysmal)
2. My contention is this team isn't too far from competing
3. Big, scoring Top 6 forward and Top 4 defenseman gets us a long way there
4. No blueliner picked in this year's draft will fill that Top 4 need for a while
5. We are building a nice stable of defensemen in our system, at least 3 of which are likely Top 4 capable

With that being said, I wouldn't hate Hanifin, Provorov, or Werenski if that's who we ended with. As deep as this draft allegedly is, it is deeper on the back end. After about the 1st 40 picks or so, quality forwards begin to get more sparse. I would have been all about Hanifin/Provorov is we had LAs pick this year. Lots of good forward prospects later in the 1st round (Bittner, Boeser, Conner, Svechnikov). That is also why my preference is to take a forward with our 1st pick and then pick a blueliner with our 2nd or 3rd round pick. The picking's are just more robust.

Not being rude, but seriously?

Estaal gone after next year or sooner.
Jstaal getting 6 mil for 3rd line talent.
CWard gone after next year or sooner.
Semin's contract.
Skinner is a shell of himself.
Our defense still sucks.
Our farm depth might be the worst in the NHL, so no help coming.

I'm sorry, but we are going to be much worse before we get better. These comments like "we need to draft the guy that will help soonest" are nonsensical.

bluedevil58*

I have thought long and hard about this great debate and if Han is available when we pick we nab him.

Fluery, Faulk, McKeown, Han. That could be a very good top 4 in 4 years from now. I don't see Murphy making it past a fringe NHL defense men. But if he lives up to his potential then that is a 5th d man we have built from the draft on up. I would much rather us have an elite blue line for once than a good top 6.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Not being rude, but seriously?

Estaal gone after next year or sooner.
Jstaal getting 6 mil for 3rd line talent.
CWard gone after next year or sooner.
Semin's contract.
Skinner is a shell of himself.
Our defense still sucks.
Our farm depth might be the worst in the NHL, so no help coming.

I'm sorry, but we are going to be much worse before we get better. These comments like "we need to draft the guy that will help soonest" are nonsensical .

Perfectly describes a few of your concerns. For one

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If I'm Francis, here is my talk with E. Staal.

Eric, you want to be back and we want you back, but let's see how the season goes first. If we are in the playoff hunt, then we can work out an extension right away. If we are out of it, we'll give you a chance to go compete for a cup with another team at the deadline, with the full intent of signing you back after the season ends. This is a win-win, as it lets you go to a contender and we'll save a spot for you, you have my word, but it also helps add more assets to the team.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
If I'm Francis, here is my talk with E. Staal.

Eric, you want to be back and we want you back, but let's see how the season goes first. If we are in the playoff hunt, then we can work out an extension right away. If we are out of it, we'll give you a chance to go compete for a cup with another team at the deadline, with the full intent of signing you back after the season ends. This is a win-win, as it lets you go to a contender and we'll save a spot for you, you have my word, but it also helps add more assets to the team.

That's nearly identical to my shower thoughts this morning. Much to the chagrin of some here, I could see a similar situation with Ward.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
i dont really see how anyone could have a problem with that line of thinking unless staal/ward were resigned at salaries near what they make now

and if that happened the board would probably implode so we wouldnt have to post about it anymore

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
So RF is a JR clone after all. Disappointing. Staal AND Ward should be traded for max value (whatever that is). Of course he wants to stay...he gets a career long free pass, I'd stay too.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So RF is a JR clone after all. Disappointing. Staal AND Ward should be traded for max value (whatever that is). Of course he wants to stay...he gets a career long free pass, I'd stay too.

So wanting to keep the team's most productive player makes Francis a JR clone? Using that logic, every GM is a JR clone.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I doubt it will happen, since he would be a commodity in free agency next season. But I'd like to see E. Staal signed short like either 1-2 years. I think he needs a motive to play hard every season so he feels the need to earn his contracts season after season.

I do want E. Staal back, and really hope he gives us a nice brotherly love/home town discount.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Blehhhh.
Just take a big downgrade in pay andddd sure why not I guess.

Pretty much my feeling. I've long since accepted that Staal's not going anywhere, but if he has to stay, I really hope it's for less than what he's making now.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I don't think people here will be happy when Eric actually gets a raise to $9+ million per. He isn't coming cheap, he could likely get that on the open market.

Canes will overpay to keep their star. Have always done it, don't see why it would change now.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
LSP, I tend to agree (although not sure it will be a raise) and that's what I'm afraid of. Even if he doesn't get a raise, he's going to get a LOT more than most on here would want to see and then as the Kinks said:

And now we're back where we started,
Here we go round again.
Day after day I get up and I say
I better do it again.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I don't presume to know Eric Staal the person but I don't see him as a guy to chase the money. I'd almost put him in the Francis/Wesley/Brind'amour category in terms of loyalty to this organization. Especially with Jordan likely not going anywhere. 3x7 could be doable for both parties.

bluedevil58*

I would be happy if Eric signs for 6m to 6.5m a year since that is what he is worth IMO . Maybe even 5M / year if he continues to produce the way that he has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad