2015 Draft - 3rd pick: Ethan Bear (2017: Named WHL D-Man of the Year)

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I could see him as a mid 2nd in an actual redraft, honestly. I think Pronman had him at a late 2nd in a redraft. He was ranked 90th at the draft last year, and thats with only being 38 point D. Points nearly doubled this year. 65 points in 68 games is 2nd round terriority

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
Why is lowetide worried about him not being under contract yet?

Anyone know the time line?

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Why is lowetide worried about him not being under contract yet?

Anyone know the time line?

He was drafted in 2015 and plays in the CHL. I think that gives us 2 years to sign him. So next June

He'll sign, no reason not to.

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011
Confirmation of S7ark's above post

www.draftsite.com/nhl/rules/

Signability: If a player is not drafted by age of 20, that player becomes an unrestricted free agent. A player not signed by drafted team within two years can reenter draft, assuming they are still eligible, and if they are not eligible, will become unrestricted an free agent. A team has the rights of an NCAA player until 30 days after the player leaves the college. If a player is drafted a second time, they can not reenter the draft. If a player has entered the draft twice and not been selected, they then become free agents regardless of age. A non-North American player can not be signed unless they are drafted first.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/draft_faq_1/

What's a 're-entry player'?
This is a special category. It is a player who feels that the NHL club who drafted him is not to his liking and he refuses to sign. If he is a major junior player who was unsigned two years after he was drafted and still meets the age requirements, he can re-enter the draft. But the player also runs the risk of being drafted much lower than before, being drafted by the same team that original chose him, or not being selected at all.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
He should be signed, but not to worried hes not. There is a while to sign him

I have no clue how ELCs work, but what is our contract status if we sign him in regards to 50 player limit if hes signed?

It appears we have 38 forsure contracts next year. We have 8 RFAs and UFAs to sign, of that iLl guess only max 3 gets deals (Pak, Osterle, Gryba/Pardy). So 41. Then Musil and probably Winquist orKessy in AHL, thats 43.

So 7 spots open for this offseason, to sign FAs, ELC players from NCAA and Euro players. If Chiarelli really feels hes adding 3/4 contracts to NHL team and 3 prospects thru signings or trades, maybe hes delaying Bears ELC to give hm wiggle room

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
He should be signed, but not to worried hes not. There is a while to sign him

I have no clue how ELCs work, but what is our contract status if we sign him in regards to 50 player limit if hes signed?

It appears we have 38 forsure contracts next year. We have 8 RFAs and UFAs to sign, of that iLl guess only max 3 gets deals (Pak, Osterle, Gryba/Pardy). So 41. Then Musil and probably Winquist orKessy in AHL, thats 43.

So 7 spots open for this offseason, to sign FAs, ELC players from NCAA and Euro players. If Chiarelli really feels hes adding 3/4 contracts to NHL team and 3 prospects thru signings or trades, maybe hes delaying Bears ELC to give hm wiggle room

If we leave Bear in junior one more year (which I hope we do) his contract would slide next year anyways.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If we leave Bear in junior one more year (which I hope we do) his contract would slide next year anyways.

I'd leave him down there to get bigger/stronger and continue to grow his offensive confidence and game. The following season he should be ready to make an impact at the AHL level.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Awesome. He's progressed immensely this year.

has he?
5 more points than last year which is nothing special considering there were more 16/17 year olds this year for him to go against.

Saw him at the rookie tourney in Penticton and he looked nothing special. Hopefully he goes in some sort of skating program this ofseason if he wants to become a regular NHLer within the next 5 yrs.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
has he?
5 more points than last year which is nothing special considering there were more 16/17 year olds this year for him to go against.

Saw him at the rookie tourney in Penticton and he looked nothing special. Hopefully he goes in some sort of skating program this ofseason if he wants to become a regular NHLer within the next 5 yrs.

9 more goals + Barzal there for 20 less games which probably lowered point total considerably.

Plus development in other areas

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
has he?

I agree. Bear has never stood out positively at any Oilers camps. He's a longshot at best.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
9 more goals + Barzal there for 20 less games which probably lowered point total considerably.

Plus development in other areas

That is what I am hoping to be true. Would hate to see him be this good in WHL only to turn into a Martin Gernat after turning pro.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Heres some other stuff on Bear (all rnakings are just for D)

PPG goals: 14, 2nd most in league behind Quenville
% of teams goals: 11% #1 in WHL. Hobbs is second at 8.93%. Jones at 8th
% of teams points: 10%, #1 in WHL
Even strength goals: 14, 3rd
Even strength points: 38, #5
Primary points: 52, 2nd for D, 3rd had 45
Game winning goals (random I know): 9 most in league for D
First goals: 8, most for D

Some very encouraging things for Bear from these. 1st- hes made major steps in even strength production. Last year he was a PP machine but lacked in ES production. This year he back to being one of best PP players in league, but now also one of the better even strength producers. History shows producing at even strength in junior is crucial to translating well to NHL (limited space for PP players). Even better is a ton of his points are primary points. So not just playing 3rd wheel to Barzal and Gropp. Looks to be a driver as well

The other big reason to be encouraged is that he did this on a relatively low scoring team compared to Hobbs. Seattle had 100 less goals than Regina (Hobbs team). To add to that, Hobbs was playing with 2 130 point player in Steel and Brooks. Bear was playing with good linemates, but Barzal and Gropp only had 79 and 84 points respectively. Had Barzal been there all year, Bear could possibly scored an addition 10 points

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
has he?

Do you mean the rookie tourney that was 6 months ago? Have you seen Bear play at all this season? I didn't, which is why I'm withholding judgement until I can base my opinion on actual current first-hand knowledge.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I agree. Bear has never stood out positively at any Oilers camps. He's a longshot at best.

These are camps at start of year and extremely limited sample sizes. It is pretty short-sighted to draw conclusions off them. Guys like Yakimov/Tkackev can look like future stars and other guys can disappoint then impress later in year

Bear is no sure thing but hes moving his way up to a pretty good D prospect. Concerns with skating, but his production is through the roof. Nothing we seen from any Oilers D prospect in last 15 years

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
Heres some other stuff on Bear (all rnakings are just for D)

PPG goals: 14, 2nd most in league behind Quenville
% of teams goals: 11% #1 in WHL. Hobbs is second at 8.93%. Jones at 8th
% of teams points: 10%, #1 in WHL
Even strength goals: 14, 3rd
Even strength points: 38, #5
Primary points: 52, 2nd for D, 3rd had 45
Game winning goals (random I know): 9 most in league for D
First goals: 8, most for D

Some very encouraging things for Bear from these. 1st- hes made major steps in even strength production. Last year he was a PP machine but lacked in ES production. This year he back to being one of best PP players in league, but now also one of the better even strength producers. History shows producing at even strength in junior is crucial to translating well to NHL (limited space for PP players). Even better is a ton of his points are primary points. So not just playing 3rd wheel to Barzal and Gropp. Looks to be a driver as well

The other big reason to be encouraged is that he did this on a relatively low scoring team compared to Hobbs. Seattle had 100 less goals than Regina (Hobbs team). To add to that, Hobbs was playing with 2 130 point player in Steel and Brooks. Bear was playing with good linemates, but Barzal and Gropp only had 79 and 84 points respectively. Had Barzal been there all year, Bear could possibly scored an addition 10 points

Do you have the stats for how many points he scored that didn't include Barzal?

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
These are camps at start of year and extremely limited sample sizes. It is pretty short-sighted to draw conclusions off them. Guys like Yakimov/Tkackev can look like future stars and other guys can disappoint then impress later in year

Bear is no sure thing but hes moving his way up to a pretty good D prospect. Concerns with skating, but his production is through the roof. Nothing we seen from any Oilers D prospect in last 15 years

Your right on sample size, tho it was 2 years in a row.
But I just don't remember anyone ever making it, that was so invisible in these camps.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Do you have the stats for how many points he scored that didn't include Barzal?

Nope. Thatd be nice though

Barzal is undoubtedly a big reason for his high point and goal totals (moreso goal totals). Bears points took off when Barzal came back from NYI. Although I am not overly concerned because almost every high scoring D in CHL had/has high scoring forwards on their line. Also Bear has a very high number of primary points and ES points (specifically goals) so that eases my fear a bit that hes not a passenger on that line and just banking PP goals

Someone who watches him more can probably tell alot more. But just from those it gives a little piece of mind

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad